Author Topic: is this night waking too  (Read 1104 times)

Offline duoduo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 07, 2015, 18:48:36 pm »
my boy is 3-month-old now, he is a really bad sleeper, doesn't sleep longer than 2 hours stretch at night, normally it's 1.5hs or 1hour 40mins, but started 1 week ago, it's getting worse. he used to wake up and eat, go back to sleep after, during sleeping, he is quiet, but now, he is making all kinds of sounds, his legs,arms are moving (actually he is kicking his legs), he sucks his fingers with really loud sound (does it mean he is hungry?), but, but his eyes are not open, so does it count as night waking?

whatever, I sleep right beside me, I just can't sleep with all his actions and sounds. if I leave him like that, he will eventually wake up and cry after 30~45 mins. what's going on? why do all these happen? what can I do?

he used to have reflux symptoms, but not now, so I don't think he has reflux pain anymore.

about his naps, 4 times a day, but length is vary, 1st and 4th are longer, up to 1.5hs, 2nd(which is noon nap) and 3rd one is shorter, 30mins ~ 45mins.

about his EASY, really hard to say, what I do is feed him when he wakes up from his nap, so it's up to his nap length. his average A time is 1h ~1.5hs.

get up @8:0am, bed @8:00~9:00pm

thx.

Offline lauradj

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 61
Re: is this night waking too
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 02:51:56 am »
This can be a hard time because your LO is out of that newborn phase and typically there is a growth spurt around this time, which means new skills are developing as well.  Generally, if your LO is not crying, it's best to leave him to self-settle.  Obviously, if he switches to an "I need you!" cry, then go in and sooth him but it's very easy to react too quickly and disrupt their attempts at putting themselves back to sleep.  I don't have any experience with reflux but judging from what I've read from other moms, it sounds like this may actually still be an issue for your DS.  I would take him to the doctor to get it formally ruled out or get treatment.  It's really difficult for babies to settle when they're in discomfort. In the meantime, you could try propping up his mattress to ease the possibility of reflux. 

Offline duoduo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:01:15 am »
thank u for reply. Sounds like no resolution to this moving issue?

my boy used to have reflux symptoms, but not now any more - except short night sleep stretch, and he has never been diagnosed as reflux either . we went to see 2 pediatricians, none of them think my boy has reflux, I was disagree with them, but now I think they are right.

I asked the same question on http://www.mumsnet.com, 95% replies say the short night sleep stretch is normal and Mom can do nothing about it, and no one knows when it will stop.

For now, I am hoping sleep training such as pu/pd will help, but I got to wait until my boy is 4-month-old, and I am not sure if frequent night feedings will become the prop?
Thx.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:40:46 am »
I'm not sure how PUPD would help if he is lay in bed grunting and sucking his fingers?? I mean - you should just leave to self settle for that anyway - and as you say - it is all in his sleep.

What symptoms of reflux have 'gone'?

Offline duoduo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 23:47:02 pm »
Yes ,I do agree that I should leave him to self settle, when I say sleep training, I am talking about short night sleep stretch, I hope sleep training can do anything, maybe after a while, his night sleep stretch will increase?

Talking about reflux symptoms, he used to fit almost all eating and sleeping problem, such as cry during and after feeding, arching his back ( for these 2, they only last for couple weeks, when he was 6~9 weeks old), and for cat naps, hard to put down for naps, I am not sure if they are exclusive reflux symptoms, I mean at babies early stage, new born ~ 3 months, these symptoms are common for almost every babies, am I right?

for now, only short night sleep (including bad sleep habit such as grunting and sucking fingers) is the one concerns me.

Offline lauradj

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 01:52:41 am »
To be honest, I really wouldn't worry about the grunting, that's just part of being a baby.  You want the finger sucking!  It means he's trying to sooth himself, and it's better than a pacifier because they're always with him.  My DS started sucking his thumb at 3 months (at least that was the first time I saw it), and he still finds it a great source of comfort.  Don't fight it!  :)
The short spans of sleeping though can be addressed with shh-pat or pu/pd.  However you have ben willing to fully commit to a course of action for a solid week, possibly two.  Honestly, I'll double check with some of the mom's who know more about reflux, but it sounds like this is an unresolved issue and nothing you try for sleep training will work until the pain issue is resolved. 

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 02:53:41 am »
Can your LO go to sleep by himself or do you always feed to sleep? Is that what you think is a prop??

Finger sucking is likely a sign he is trying to self settle. Grunting can be normal but also could be wind/ reflux from feeding too often. If you wind him and put back down does it stop? Infants can be really noisy!! I'm on my third baby now and can finally sleep through the noises (but not the real windy strains - they ease if I lift him though).

Do you hear any choking or sickness when lay flat?

Offline duoduo

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 04:37:35 am »
When I say concerns me, I am talking about myself, I am lacking of sleeping at night as I have to wake up every 1.5 hours, and now on top of it, I can’t sleep with his grunting/sucking noise, because I sleep right beside him, and I have to sleep so close so when he wakes up and cries at night, I can feed him and put him back to sleep, sleeping beside him sounds the ‘best’ solution for now. I have to get up sooooo often at night, and now his noise becomes another disturber , that’s why I am eager for finding a way to get better sleep for both myself and my boy.
Another concern is prop, I don’t  feed to sleep, I use 4S, but since I have to feed him so often at night, I am not sure when I should reduce the night feeding, for now, almost every time he wakes up, I feed him, will it become a prop?
Normally I let him sleep on side, and during sleeping, he turns his body himself and lying flat on his back, I don’t hear any choking or sickness. If I wind him and put back down, it does stop the noise, but it doesn’t last long either, only couple minutes, he continues.
I really don’t know how to diagnose his reflux, usually we talk to pediatrician which I already did, none of them think my boy has reflux, and the way to diagnose is taking trial medication, every med has side effect, I don’t want to try it on a 3-month-old baby unless it’s really necessary, especially he doesn’t have many symptoms now. So I don’t know what to do, I am kind of stuck here. All I can do is suck it up, hoping when he gets older/bigger, he can sleep longer stretch.
Thank you for everyone’s rely, appreciate it.