Author Topic: 9 month old - hates car travel!  (Read 2118 times)

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
9 month old - hates car travel!
« on: January 02, 2015, 21:07:21 pm »
Hi there

How can I get my little girl to calm down when driving in the car?  It usually starts about 20-30 minutes in.  She's not much of a car napper, which I'm fine with cos I tend to travel with her in her Activity time anyway.  We live in New Zealand so I'm not talking about massive trips, just an hour or 1.5 hours is the usual maximum we go, and she cries a fair chunk of the time, sometimes that hysterical crying that breaks your heart.

I suspect it's boredom or loneliness but am unsure how to calm her down.  (She gets tetchy at about 60 minutes in the stroller too).  Have offered toys but they only do the trick for a short while.  Also songs and music but again that's good for about 10-5 minutes.

She is a great sleeper, eater, etc, this is the only thing that seems to be an issue for her, she's usually a very placid and calm baby.

She is rear facing.
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.

Offline Mrsb3

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 9 month old - hates car travel!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 00:53:10 am »
My daughter has always hated car journeys too. Until we got a strap on activity toy. She loves it! Has lots of things to play with on it and it flashes when touched and makes sounds. This holds her attention for 15 mins then the crying starts... Ughhh! So we have now discovered the sound of nursery music too. Not just any music though as she hates the radio ! She loves Christmas carols and nursery rhymes only. Maybe you could try these? Have a play around and see x

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 04:42:20 am »
My 16 month old is the same...I am convinced she just hates being restrained as she is very spirited! We have a dual screen dvd player so one faces her and one her sisters. It works 50% of the time to distract her but once she is on a crying jag not much stops her.
Heidi

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 04:48:48 am »
Our spirited dd did a million times better when she became forward facing....I think she felt like she was missing out on something g being turned the other way. We also suspected car sickness bc she had a few spit ups (not complete throw up...more like bile)...is that possible for your lo? We also bought a DVD plyer for the car that helped a ton!!

[/url]

Offline ladymugg

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:15:33 am »
The interesting thing is that while most of you sound like you have spirited babies mine is 99% of the time an Angel/Textbook! :D

I will have a think about those ideas you ladies have given.  I hadn't considered car sickness before but usually she has eaten at some point not too distantly from travelling and haven't had any sick ups in the car during or around these incidents.  But could be, cos unless I'm driving I do get motion sickness in the car.

I will keep playing around with toys and songs and see how we go.

Thanks so much! :D
Mum to DD born April 2014 and DS born April 2016.