Author Topic: breastfeeding and exercise/dieting  (Read 1067 times)

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« on: January 03, 2015, 02:17:53 am »
Hi ladies, looking for your thoughts:

So I'm headed back to the gym to start exercising again, and have signed myself up for a "fit mama" challenge for a bit of motivation.  Can anyone tell me what the current research is on breast-feeding and exercise?  Is there any truth to the lactic acid getting in the milk or too much exercise affecting milk supply?  I have always been very caution with exercise when nursing my babies (now on #3) but perhaps that has been more of an excuse than based on fact!  My core muscles and back are so weak I have frequent pain, and realize on need to build muscle to support my body.  3 babes so quickly did not give me much recovery time!

thanks in advance...

Offline 1stimer

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Re: breastfeeding and exercise/dieting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 04:51:21 am »
Following along!! My core and back are killing me and I miss running but was wondering the same!!

[/url]

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 04:54:42 am »
Your baby would be a good judge if you're overdoing it.

Really, providing you eat and drink enough to sustain your milk production and you're focusing on strength and building your core and you take it reasonably sensibly, it should be fine.

Have a read here:
http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/mom-exercise/

Offline emily3434

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 19:40:25 pm »
Thanks!  Although for me, 3 babies in 4 years, any exercise at all may be strenuous!!!  I have been very protective of my milk supply with the other 2 but also always had sufficient

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 22:42:52 pm »
You may be surprised, I was at my base level of fitness from chasing a kid and you've three! I found the core weakness was related to using the incorrect muscles but the muscle was there to be used, it was more about retraining myself about what muscles to use for which actions.