Author Topic: Should I wake from naps to get earlier bedtime?  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Khmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should I wake from naps to get earlier bedtime?
« on: January 04, 2015, 07:20:49 am »
My 15 week-old consistently takes naps that are at least 1.5 hours. I would like his bedtime to be 6:30pm (asleep by this time) so that he has 12 hours of night sleep including 2 night feeds. This means our schedule needs to look something like this:

6:30 Wake and eat
8:00 Nap #1
9:30 Eat
11:00 Nap #2
12:30 Eat
2:00 Nap #3
3:00 Eat
4:30 Nap #4
5:00 Bedtime routine, Eat at 6:00

Does his routine look ok for his age? Is it ok that both naps #3 and #4 are cut short? I feel awful for waking him up from his last two naps, but I want to preserve his bedtime.

Before this, I let him wake from his naps on his own, which resulted in bedtimes around 7:30 or 8:00. Sometimes this led to more frequent wakings at night.

Offline Ma.of.Bo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Bơ today ♡♥♡♥
Re: Should I wake from naps to get earlier bedtime?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:51:01 am »
Hi Khmom,
Im not an expert in here but I have a 15w.o DS as well   ;)
& just wanna say I soooo admire ur routine  :o
My DS havent got any 1.5hour Nap since ages (I have no idea when will he have  :-[)

If I were u, I would ...wake LO up & stick w the routine u posted.

Lets wait how others reply .
Má yêu con - Bơ ngoan ♡♥♡♥♡♥

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 17:46:45 pm »
If his nights are ok no need to change anything, however many babies are on three naps by this age if they are 'good' nappers. Dropping fairly quickly by 4 months or so to two longer naps and a catnap.  You may find you can extend A times just a touch and get away with three naps then you'd only have to wake from the last one to preserve bedtime.  Have you read the FAQs on the 3-4h EASY transition?

Offline Khmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 03:22:26 am »
Thanks for the replies  :)

I think I'm going to go ahead and do 3 naps on a 3h10m EASY and then keep adding 5 minutes of activity time every few days until we get to a 3.5h EASY. I already stretched him from 1.5 A time to 1h40m today and he is ok so far (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!!). His bedtime might be earlier than I'd like for a couple of weeks, but I think it will suit him more than a late bedtime due to forcing a 4th nap.

One more question: If one of his three naps ends up being short (45min or so), should I incorporate a 4th nap that day?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:25:11 am by Khmom »

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:14:02 am »
Around this age we found a 4th nap started causing trouble.  I'd personally only do a 4th one if pretty much all naps are a disaster, one short nap you should still be ok for a three nap day x