Author Topic: Not sure what's going on!  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Not sure what's going on!
« on: January 04, 2015, 09:14:28 am »
DS is 2.8 yrs and sleep is weird...we are into nap capping at 40 mins as he can't seem to make it with no nap apart from odd day here and there, EBT seems to have stopped working he just messes about for ages or wakes early. We have BT messing about, wants a cuddle, a drink, a wee, us to sit next to bed, in his doorway u name it. Days are getting long 13.5 hours but his mood is generally happy and fine apart from usual toddler meltdown when doesn't want to do something but that only last few mins.
WU can be anywhere from 5am to 6.45am and I can't find any reason for why times differ. He's PT and nappy free at night for 4 weeks ish.
This has been going on for a good couple of months on and off, his speech had always been great but his imagination has gone into another level so am wondering if it's developmental!
Gro clock tried for a good long time and he ignores it and switches it on early or just says no sun but I'm awake now!

Just guess I'm seeing if anyone else same age in similar boat?
Zoe

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 21:31:07 pm »
Hi Zoe, well brace yourself but it sounds like he's starting the 1-0 process to me  :-X :-X :-X. That doesn't mean he is ready for no nap, it just means he is starting the process. If this is the case there are many things you can try, so many that I put the following info together when S was going through it because it was such a massive  :o :o :o  to me, as I thought one day he would just stop taking the nap and sleep longer at night. guffaw!  ::) what a fool! ;) Here's the link Hun, take time to digest it when you can and tell me if you think it rings true  ??? then we could talk further about what might work to help him through. Other than this, the only thing that may be at play is a half birthday regression  ??? But I really do err towards the 1-0, as what you describe is quite typical.

The 1-0 transition...Advice and Tips to help you through.

(HUGS)

x.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
Re: Not sure what's going on!
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:03:57 pm »
Hi hun thanks for the reply, I've read the link and I'm sure it confirms my thoughts of nap dropping!! I guess I thought his nights would extend lol wrong....I feel like he's doing 10.5/11 hours total sleep at the moment. He won't nap in bed at home anymore so it's often a strategic 30 min walk or drive, or we cuddle up on sofa and rest or he will nod off but that's it, although at nursery he naps 45 mins at 12.30 but no chance at home.
Yesterday he decided no nap but still ended up not falling asleep till 7.30 which was a 13 hour day despite being in bed from 6.45pm....he was just happy and reading etc.

This transition is just confusing lol x
Zoe

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 12:15:01 pm »
This transition is just confusing lol x

You're not kidding, it's the worst, but thankfully the last!!! Sam also was clocking up 10.5 hrs to 11 hrs maximum sleep. The whole story from start to finish was so complicated and involved trying so many different things at things constantly change.

Have you joined the support thread Hun  ???

Support for dropping the nap part 12

It was my saviour, we helped each other out every day and gave great support  :)

Do you have a plan right now or are you going to wing it day by day  ???

((HUGS))

x.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 13:20:47 pm »
It's weird how they can go from having total 13 hours to so much less and being happy.

I will join the thread I've not go round to it yet as was just debating what to do lol....I'm kind of just winging it really, keeping my eye on his mood etc.

No one tells u kids are so confusing when u get pregnant lol xx
Zoe

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 17:32:02 pm »
Yes, it hits pretty fast this one eh!? TBH winging it is all you can do, some things will work for a few days or maybe even a week or two but it constantly changes.

Here for an extra shoulder Hun, but I have just remembered about the support thread myself, so I shall try and pop on there also in my mod capacity ;) x.

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 17:44:52 pm »
He won't nap in bed at home anymore so it's often a strategic 30 min walk or drive, or we cuddle up on sofa and rest or he will nod off but that's it, although at nursery he naps 45 mins at 12.30 but no chance at home.
Same here.  Nap at home...forget it.  We've told him he needs to have a quiet time so I usually put him in my bed with a movie or on the couch with a movie and more often than not he does fall asleep.  But nap in his bed? That's a laughing matter (to him.  Not me. lol)

Much of the same mucking around at BT that could be UT on a nap day or OT on a no-nap day.  Who knows.  It's a mess all over.  Just trying to survive it with wine :)

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 18:33:05 pm »
Funny little beings aren't they lol!! Today thought he's be shattered as first day back at nursery with only 15 mins nap but he's full of beans playing hide and seek after his bath so were watching some tv to chill out!

Lindsay lol wine has been my saviour since he was v small xx
Zoe

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 19:14:21 pm »
It's a mess all over.  Just trying to survive it with wine

Oh I highly recommend it lol :)

Today thought he's be shattered as first day back at nursery with only 15 mins nap but he's full of beans playing hide and seek

At this age, full of beans was usually OT for us, followed by meltdown at BT, oh husha my mouth  :-X :-X :-X ;) :-*

x.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 19:45:56 pm »
At this age, full of beans was usually OT for us, followed by meltdown at BT, oh husha my mouth  :-X :-X :-X ;) :-*

x.

No meltdown just lots of faffing in bed, quite clever all the little excuses....x
Zoe

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 19:58:56 pm »
Yes, it's incredible how many they can think of lol :) Glad there was no tantrum Hun.

x.

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2015, 14:03:54 pm »
At least some of the excuses are funny and make me laugh secretly xx
Zoe

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 07:54:47 am »
I'm back just a quickie really. DS seems to mainly not napping at nursery and at home has 30 mins if out and about.
On NND he's been in bed by 6.30-6.45 earliest can manage on work days no messing no callback and generally asleep within few min. We keep getting NW either 11pm is or 4am ish both pretty easily settled, if if 5am then he seems ready to go.

Is it just a case of stick with it or do you think on non nursery days try an earlier nap. He fell asleep at 11.30am the other day in buggy while in supermarket which never happens and I got him in car seat still asleep again never never happens he's way too nosey. Seemed fine all day after 30 mins and not too much bedtime faffing.

Feel a bit lost really with this transistion..gut feeling is he's better without the nap and the NW will go away when adjusts but could be wrong x
Zoe

Offline Lindsay27

• Showing Appreciation 78
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 13:59:30 pm »
For us I just have to go day by day.  On non-daycare days we usually have a later nap (like 1:30 or 2) because he's just not tired before then, but if he had a NND the day before then we would def move it much earlier. 

I've kind of been taking this as an opportunity to get out and do things, for instance I think we are going to take him to the children's museum this weekend, and then just let him nap in the car in the way home. Obviously you can't do that every day though.

On NND does he have a quiet time?

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 16:10:24 pm »
I try quiet time with tv on for a bit and a cuddle but he's not a quiet child...rarely sits still just wants to run lol. I agree I'm using it as a chance to get out, I was always strict about being home to nap so it's good to a CN on the go x
Zoe