Author Topic: Almost 14 months and still on 2 bottles  (Read 1615 times)

Offline katkniep

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Almost 14 months and still on 2 bottles
« on: January 05, 2015, 18:02:48 pm »
Hi there! I know we're a bit late in doing this :)

My LO is almost 14 months and still drinking 2 bottles of about 230ml - 1 first thing in the morning and the other before teeth cleaning and bed.
I've started replacing ounces in the formula with cows milk but i'm concerned with this as she's a bit hit and miss with eating over the day, sometimes hardly eating anything when she doesn't like it. If i reduce the formula i'm worried she won't get enough vits n bits!

We're also starting on swapping over the morning bottle to a hard teat, pretty sure this bottle will be easier than the evening one.

I was thinking to swap the morning bottle to hard teat, then the evening one. What happens after i've done that? How long does she keep having the milk for? Or should she have stopped?

Thanks in advance! :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Almost 14 months and still on 2 bottles
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 19:24:52 pm »
From 1 they only need 12-14oz of dairy to get their needs met and too much milk can actually stop them eating as it fills them up. The dairy in food counts towards their intake, it doesn't have to be liquid milk, so if you reduce the milk offer dairy in food as well. They won't starve themselves, all you need to do is offer a varied diet, she is in charge of how much she eats.

We swapped my DD's morning bottle to a sippy cup of milk as a mid morning snack around 13 months because she wasn't eating breakfast. We swapped the bedtime bottle into a sippy cup around 18 months and then after a couple of months she stopped drinking so much so we stopped offering and she wasn't bothered at all. If she asked I gave her some but she just wasn't interested. My DS had a bedtime bottle until 2.5 and we stopped it when he had a bad cough one time as it was making him sick, once it stopped we didn't give it back. Bed time milk really varies, some people stop it, some carry it on. Just remember to brush teeth after the bottle/ cup of milk and then sleep!

HTH!

Laura

Offline katkniep

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 19:58:17 pm »
Hi I'm so sorry for the late reply! I started work and things have been crazy!!

Thanks so much for your advice! We've got her onto a sippy cup for all milk, she never wants to drink all in one go now and it's really hard getting milk into her! Think i'll have to do some experimenting :)

Kat

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 20:24:35 pm »
Honestly, don't worry - if she likes milk she will increase her intake. In the meantime offer more dairy foods like yoghurt and milky puddings and cheesy dishes, she will get plenty of calcium that way. Offer water with meals and inbetween.

Laura