Author Topic: Still struggling to achieve consistent naps here; help me manage the 2-1, please  (Read 8759 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Well, it helps to hear what others do, for sure! Of course now he's struggling to get himself asleep for the afternoon nap. >:( It's days like this, when I know DH won't be home that just get me... I'm anxious and on-edge. :( :-[ Thanks for being on the other side, ladies. :-*

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
If it makes you feel better, my DH is not at home ::) and I am just making myself to sleep as it's almost 11pm here and it's late for me!
And btw my DH is on a business trip and after work today he went to the cinema to see Taken 3 with Liam Neeson  :o and who will tell me why I am sitting alone at home ???
~Marta

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
I'm eternally on edge these days it feels like, DH has started a new job and it's late nights a lot :(

Today was the pits :( but at least we're in it together.. Sleepy vibes to all of you. Xxx

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
Katie, wild thought here but would you consider a cold turkey switch to one nap?  At this age with lots of nap silliness and in prep for nursery we switched to nap 11.30/45 and BT 6pm.  Just rode it out for a few weeks, not pretty but given you don't have great naps or nights anyway maybe worth just going for it?  If J had any more than 25 mins or so am nap there was no way we were getting a second one anyway so at least our day had some predictability.  Very occasionally if the nap was a total and utter disaster we did 5/5.30pm bt or if a very very EW did 20 mins or so around 9/9.30 then an afternoon nap (best guess on timing...) and normal BT.  But otherwise just pushed on through.  What do you think?

Offline katie80

It's scary, but definitely worth thinking about. 

Wed after he couldn't settle for the pm nap, I had to bring Claire to a church class, so he fell asleep for 10-15min in the car around 5.  Didn't get home til almost 7, so he fell asleep probably 7:15/30 and was up just before 6:30 Thurs morning.  G had gymnastics, and then we ran to the store, and he fell asleep on the way home.  He slept 2hr in the car.  So, either the car is some sort of prop, or when he does that it's because he's had shorter nights and is catching up, which must mean he needs a longer A time during the day. ???

This is what we've had this week...
Mon 1/19
WU 6:30
N1 11:30-12
N2 3-4
BT 7:30

Tues 1/20
WU 5:50
N1 10-15min in car around 8:30/40
N2 40min in car at 11:45
N3 3:30-4:10
BT 6:45/7

Wed 1/21
WU 6:50
N1 11:30-12
N2 (couldn't settle at 3:30); 5:10-5:20
BT 7:30

Thur 1/22
WU 6:25?
N1 11:25-1:30
BT 6:40 (earliest possible after getting home from dance :P)

Fri 1/23
WU around 6:30 (not exactly sure)
N1 11:30-

What do you think? I don't know why he doesn't do a long nap in his crib... I've seen him almost wake and resettle in the car, but he rarely can in the crib. ::) :-\

Offline jessmum46

My guess would be a little hint of a prop....combined with overall OT from short naps and unsettled nights.  So he probably jolts awake but in the car the containment of the seat and engine noise/vibration is just enough to help him carry on sleeping.  In his crib he jolts and is properly awake, then finds it hard to settle back down again.

If other LOs were not an issue, I'd say do the cold turkey to one nap.  My slight concern with that is consistency  :-\ as if you're likely to be out and about at times he's likely to drop off (during 2-1 J would fall asleep after 3-3.5h A in the morning in the car, and she was NEVER a car sleeper) or not able to guarantee being home for EBT then I think it could all unravel very quickly.....that said, how's this for an idea?

1 nap days: Reasonable' ie post 6am WU time - nap 11.30, BT 6pm (up to 30 mins earlier if nap very short)
2 nap days: Very EW or accidentally falls asleep early in car - max 20 min catnap then PD for second nap around 3-3.5h later, BT max for 13h day so something like WU 5.30, nap 9-9.20, nap 12.30/1 and bt 6/6.30pm
Late nights - can't be helped - you'll maybe have to revert to a 2 nap day the following day if you don't get a reasonable WU time but I would say if WU still post-6am try to do one nap

Also just wanted to offer a hand to hold when and if you're ready with the night feeds.  I know you know he doesn't need them, but I understand your reluctance during teething.  You have to be ready hun but you can totally do it.  It may not solve your NWs (they haven't all magically gone away here ::) ) but at least you'll have ruled out hunger or a feed to sleep prop as the reason xx

And play it by ear? 

Offline katie80

Thanks, Katherine. :-* Read your post quickly and will reply in a bit when I have more time.

But, for now, before all you ladies head to bed, can you give me your opinion on BT tonight?  He slept a long nap!! ;D

So,
WU 6:30ish
Nap 11:30-1:20
BT ???

Should I shoot for 6 or 6:30 or just watch and see? I have a going away party tonight at 6:30 (can be late of course), so I'm tempted to go for 6, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot! :P

Offline jessmum46

I'd have done 6 with J xx

Offline katie80

Great, thanks so much! :-* Going to go feed him some lunch.

Offline jessmum46

Hope it works out!  And well done little C :D

Offline katie80

Thanks! Night didn't go too well, but I didn't give meds as it had been several days.  So, hard to know if the unsettledness was OT, teeth, or the boob prop. ::) :-[ He was definitely ready for bed at 6pm, though, so I think that was right. 

Ok, Katherine... thanks for your ideas and plan.  You're right, it's much messier with the big two, so hard to be really consistent (especially with DH travelling as well).

1 nap days: Reasonable' ie post 6am WU time - nap 11.30, BT 6pm (up to 30 mins earlier if nap very short)
2 nap days: Very EW or accidentally falls asleep early in car - max 20 min catnap then PD for second nap around 3-3.5h later, BT max for 13h day so something like WU 5.30, nap 9-9.20, nap 12.30/1 and bt 6/6.30pm
Late nights - can't be helped - you'll maybe have to revert to a 2 nap day the following day if you don't get a reasonable WU time but I would say if WU still post-6am try to do one nap
I think this sounds reasonable... let's see if I'm brave enough to do it! :P So, do you think if he only does the 1hr nap first nap as he has often done, I shouldn't try for a CN? And, what about a later WU... keep the 11:30 nap or push to 5hr A?

Today was...
WU 7am
Nap 11:55-1:40 (in car after skating lessons, I think at home I would've still done 11:30 as he seemed pretty tired)
BT 6:30pm

Also just wanted to offer a hand to hold when and if you're ready with the night feeds.  I know you know he doesn't need them, but I understand your reluctance during teething.  You have to be ready hun but you can totally do it.  It may not solve your NWs (they haven't all magically gone away here  ) but at least you'll have ruled out hunger or a feed to sleep prop as the reason xx
Thank you! I'm really thinking on trying to push them out again as you described before. I am still a bit reluctant, but it's just feeling silly. :-[ Let me work up the courage and make sure DH has his earplugs and I'll let you know.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
I am here Katie if you need some hands holding:)))!
We had couple of one nap days and they most go fine however on 2h nap and 12h day we still have some OT wakings/cryouts.
~Marta

Offline shresmummy

• Showing Appreciation 5
Good luck Hun! It's scary but you'll get thru it..I'll keep my fingers xx for you.

Offline jessmum46

My thinking Katie was that a reasonable WU and 1h nap with 6pm BT will likely give more sleep overall than doing a late CN and later BT.  But that was only with the experience of J who was a CN refuser anyway ::) I would keep to the set nap time even with later WU.  While we were transitioning sometimes J would try to have a monster lie-in, I would wake her at 8am and she'd still go down at usual time.  Often the nap would be a touch shorter but because WU was late, the day wasn't so long and she managed ok x

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
And how long were here days and naps together? Was she having 13, 14 or something like that as an average?
~Marta