Author Topic: Just starting, need help! 9 month old wakes 3-4 times/night  (Read 1055 times)

Offline angie422

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Just starting, need help! 9 month old wakes 3-4 times/night
« on: January 06, 2015, 17:17:36 pm »
I just finished reading Tracy's book, so I'm very new to the EASY method. My 9 month old has been waking to feed at least 3-4 times every night since she was about 4 months old. I haven't been successful at getting her on the EASY method yet because I've been nursing her to sleep since she was born. So I know that once I stop nursing her to sleep I'll probably have an easier time, but I really just need some advice on how to start. She REFUSES to take a pacifier or a bottle, so what I don't know what to do. Sometimes I can rock her to sleep, but most of the time she ends up getting so worked up that the only thing I can do to calm her down is to nurse her. Her schedule isn't consistent but here is a rough outline of what it's like:

7-8am - wake/nurse
8am - eat breakfast
8am-10am - play
10-11am - nurse to sleep for first nap
11-12pm - wake/nurse
12-1pm - lunch
1-2pm -play
2-3pm - nurse to sleep for 2nd nap
3-4pm - wake/nurse
4-6pm  - play/activity
5-6pm - dinner
6-8pm - more play
8-9pm - nurse to sleep for nighttime
11-12am - 1st night wake for feeding (sometimes I can just hold her and she'll fall back asleep)
1-2 am - 2nd night wake for feeding (I have to nurse to back to sleep or she gets hysterical)
4am - 3rd night wake for feeding
6am - 4th night wake for feeding (this only happens once in awhile)

I really think that she's a textbook baby but I've just instilled some bad habits in her. I just need a little direction on how I can get her to be an independent sleeper when she won't take a bottle or a pacifier. Thank you!

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: Just starting, need help! 9 month old wakes 3-4 times/night
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:26:11 am »
Hi there and welcome to BW!

the first thing I would do is try and keep her day to 12h and allow a 12h night. Right now she is doing about 5h A time between second nap and BT and that's a lot for her at her age.
To tackle the BF to sleep you have two options - go "cold turkey" or do it gradually. This depends a lot on what you think YOU can handle and what you think your LO can handle.
If you go "cold turkey" then you just stop feeding to sleep no matter what and no cave in. Whenever she refuses her nap or when she wakes up at night you use PU/PD (or just PD if she pulls herself standing already).
If you want to go gradually then the best thing I can think of is to reduce the feeding time by 1min every 3 days. For how long is she feeding now at every feed? Is it like 10min? Then this method can really work for you. If she feeding for an whole hour (it's not clear from your EASY) then she is using you as a paci. In that case, reducing just 1min every 3 days from a feed is going to take you till toddlerhood!
After your shortened the feed by a minute, in case she is upset and not falling back to sleep then you use PU/PD.
There is information here about PU/PD: How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)

HTH, let me know if you have more questions.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/