Author Topic: Short A time  (Read 870 times)

Offline lanette14

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 08, 2015, 15:43:15 pm »
Hi there - this is my first post, so hopefully I do this correctly. i"ve been trying to put my 3.5 month old on the EASY schedule for the last week.

Before EASY she was going to bed at about 8:30 and sleeping until 5 or 5:30 when she would wake up for a quick feed and go right back to sleep until 7:30 or 8 a.m.

Now, I have her going to bed at about 7:30. The last two nights she's woken up at 2:45 (she put herself back to sleep in about 20 - 30 mins with bursts of screeching./mantra cries). She had light wakings at 4:15 and 6:15 but they were very short and she went right back to sleep.  I woke her up at 7 a.m. for her feed.

Every day, however, she is rubbing her eyes by 7:45 a.m. so I've been taking her and putting her down. It seems crazy to try and push her another half hour or 45 mins of A time to 8:30, but is that what I should be doing?

Maybe she is in a growth spurt? It's hard for me to tell because I'm breastfeeding and trying to stick to a somewhat rigid EASY.

My second issue is that her first two naps the last two days have been great. She wakes after the first sleep cycle but seems to get herself back to sleep within 10 mins and goes at least another 45. However, the third nap of the day is only 45 mins. I've done shush pat with her to try to get her to go back down but she fights it until it's time for her to eat again.

This results in my putting her down for a catnap around 5:15 (although yesterday she stayed up until 7 p.m. because my sister took care of her while my DH and I went out for a bite) because she's so tired.

Will her A times start to stretch out naturally? Should I force them?

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Short A time
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 23:05:29 pm »
HI there! Sorry no one has responded yet. :( I think you are doing a great job listening to your LO. Some LOs do prefer their first A time to be shorter and yes, in a GS A times can shrink down a bit.  I would go with what is working right now and keep an eye out for nights going shorter and wakings getting earlier or nap resistance for that 1st nap. All of which could mean she needs more A. It is absolutely typical for a LO to have 2 "good" naps and a shorter nap ( 45 minutes or less)  at this age. Hope this helps!

Maryn

[/url]

Offline lanette14

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 23:30:10 pm »
You just made me the happiest. I tried shh/pat for three days after the 45 min nap because the BW book kept saying it should be 1.5 hours. None of us were happy and I was super anxious! I'm going to count my blessings on the 1.5 - 2 hr nap in the a.m. and a usually good nap in the late morning. I was becoming so stressed that I was giving myself anxiety (like having physical reactions when I thought she was waking up too early).

Offline lanette14

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 23:33:03 pm »
Also - because she's sleeping so long at night, I was thinking maybe she doesn't need as many nap hours.Right now, since starting the 7 - 7:30 p.m. bedtime she's waking up around 4 a.m., eating and going right back to sleep until about 7 again (I'm waking her at 7). Does this seem right? I don't mind the quick feed at 4 a.m. because it takes 10 mins and we don't dream feed or cluster feed.

Offline nevinsmama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 59
Re: Short A time
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 03:04:28 am »
This all sounds very healthy and appropriate for a LO her age. You are doing great. Don't be surprised if another GS hits later on and she needs more at night. In the meantime, enjoy! :)

Maryn

[/url]