Author Topic: quick question about nap length  (Read 19970 times)

Offline AMJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: quick question about nap length
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 18:20:28 pm »
Hi Katherine.

Thanks for encouragement! Fingers crossed that her nights will lengthen. She is just so tired lately and fussy/grumpy because of that.

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 07:40:05 am »
Oh DD was so tired last night after 1hr45m nap then had a NW from 4:10am to 4:50am and then woke up screaming at 6:00 am. I think she is getting extremely OT and I'm afraid it will be getting worse. She doesn't handle OT well and we always had problems with EWUs.

Sorry I'm just ranting

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 09:36:01 am »
(((Hugs))). Do you think it's a case of needing to cut the nap to get the better night? And get out of the cycle that way?

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 09:40:45 am »
Previously cutting the nap short only worked if that night was at least 10hrs long otherwise, just like yesterday, she is getting more and more OT. And  I've been waiting for a 10hr night for a while now. DD is sporting her dark circles again :(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:12:43 am by AMJ »

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 10:37:14 am »
What does her day look like at the moment? I'm wondering if you could use EBT to get her back on track?

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 11:34:08 am »
We are on set nap/BT and it's been the best thing we've ever done thanks to all the ladies on babywhisperer forum!

Nap at 12:30(laid in the crib)
BT 8:00 pm. Laid in the crib at 7:20pm.

When I need to give an early nap or BT I only allow 10m early because then she stays up even longer for some reason but 10m early worked the best. I tried giving BT 30m early but it made her stay up for more then 1hr.
So now if EBT is needed I lay her in the crib at 7:10 pm. That's what I did yesterday but it didn't help the hight.

I could try 7:00 pm today, what do you think?

Oh my, I feel so bad waking her today at 1.5hrs. Poor thing  is strugling.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:37:05 am by AMJ »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:57 am »
Hugs, it's hard to see them struggle :(. Have you considered doing an uncapped or longer nap as a one-off if she doesn't respond to EBT?  Otherwise I know it's tough but if the 1.5h nap is causing a short night, and is the root of the OT, you may have to cut the nap first and push to more OT to get her to crash and do a long night.  Maybe try the catch up first though x

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 07:23:33 am »
Oh dear  :( Hugs for the nw and grumpy LO.

Just wrote a reply and saw that jessmum  has posted in the meantime so I'll dovetail my reply with hers.

I agree that you might need to cap further to get past this point.  Jack often hits an awkward stage where he's OT but still napping too long to get a decent night, so things get worse cos he's getting less sleep but is never up for long enough to build up enough tiredness to crash.  We've fixed it both ways  - by getting over the OT by reducing A times  and then pushing them quite quickly after that to find the right routine, or by pushing jack further and letting him crash.  If your LO is susceptible to OT though then yes, you might want to catch her up rather than push her further.

The other thing is that some LOs just don't suit nap capping and for those I think you just have to move BT later and accept the short nights.  I know some BWs have found that instead of capping the nap further and further it works better for their LO to have a big nap and, when they start dropping the nap, do EBT  on nnds and a later BT the rest of the time.  Just something else to consider if you're finding nap capping hard on you both. 

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 08:10:26 am »
Thanks to both of you ladies for a great support! I really appreciate it.

I was considering letting her have as long of a nap as she needs and then hoping that would catch her up but yesterday I decided to do the 1.5ht nap first and then EBT and it worked a bit. I mean she was just very sleepy right after the nap and in the evening but not hyper at all like in the past week from the OT. So I laid her in the crib at 7:00 pm and she fell asleep at 7:40pm to my surprise, which is the earliest in a while. She was a bit wrestles at night for about an hour but didn't actually wake up. And then she was up at 5:50am. So a 10hr night is a bit better then a 9.5hr!

I'll try another 1.5hr nap today and then a 7pmEBT again and hopefully it will change things around. If this won't work I will give her as long of a nap she needs the following day and then maybe just let her have her long naps and a later BT, like you suggested!

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 09:40:54 am »
Good news, hope it works out well.  Keep us posted x

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 11:34:48 am »
Will do :).

If 1.5hr nap works would you move it later in a day? Right now I put her in the crib at 12:30pm.

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 07:55:14 am »
Wow I just have to share this with you ladies.

So yesterday I woke her after 1.5hrs of napping. She was quiet tired in the evening. I also explained the gro clock to her and she was very excited about it. I had her in the crib at 7pm and she was asleep at 7:25pm( the earliest and the fastest she fell asleep in a while). I think that previously she was UT at BT but OT from long naps/short nights).
She stirred at 5:30am but resettled. I set the gro clock to 6:30am wich meant for 11hr night. She woke up when the sun came up, said "wow, sun" turned around, covered her face with her bunny because I think the light from the sun was too bright for her and slept till..... 7:15am!!! Wow this has NEVER happened before. She never had a 12hr night!!! But I think that was a catch up night. I wish there was an option to turn down the brightness of the mr. sun.

So now I'm not sure she will be ready for a nap at her usual 12:30pm. I'm not sure what time to offer it. Previously if I gave her a nap earlier or later then 12:30, because we needed to travel somewhere, she refused the nap completely. What would you do?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 07:57:48 am by AMJ »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 09:13:16 am »
Great night!  I would offer at usual time and be prepared for her to mess around a little while before sleeping.  If she takes a while to doze off, give her a slightly shorter nap say 1h-1h15 depending on how late she falls asleep.

I thought gro clocks had a brightness setting ???  Or is that just for the night light?  At any rate I don't think many LOs are actually woken by the sun coming up once they are used to it so maybe it was just a coincidence today x

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 11:39:02 am »
Thanks,  just got her in the crib at the usuall time.

Yes I set the brightness to zero so there is no blue light at night. The stars are not showing but I guess the brightness of the sun stays the same.

P.S. This kid just keeps surprising me lately. She fell asleep at 12:40.

Would you move her nap later in a day to keep BT at around 8pm? Thanks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:50:39 am by AMJ »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 12:20:40 pm »
I wouldn't mess with her nap time unless she is having trouble falling asleep for it or EWs.  If either of those then probably push 15-30 mins later and keep at 1.5h.  One change at a time though x