Author Topic: quick question about nap length  (Read 19872 times)

Offline AMJ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: quick question about nap length
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2015, 17:57:15 pm »
Thank you :)

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2015, 00:08:22 am »
Hi there again. How are you all? I'm loosing my mind!!

About a week ago DD had great few nights of 10.5-10hr40m with 1hr15m nap but then suddenly she had a 9hr night and since then it's back to long NWUs or EWUs. She is actively teething and I do give her meds but when I ask if she is in pain she says no. Only once she said that her face hurts exactly where her teeth are erupting.

Yesterday I planned to give her a long catch up nap of 1.5hrs but she WU on her own at 1hr8m and then took 1hr to fall asleep at BT and ended up having a long days agin. Tomight she was up at night for 2.5hrs. I don't know what to do again. Wait it out till she is done teething or cut the nap again? Previously the only way cutting her nap short worked is if she had a nice long nap and caught up on her sleep and then the following day I would cut her nap but now it's dificult to give her a long nap cause it could cause a long NWU plus she wakes up at 7am cause of of the NWU so if she has a long nap her BT will be 9pm

Her EASY on a good day was
WU 6:45
A 6hrs30m (shorter A after a bad/short night)
Nap at 1:20(1hr15m)

WU 2:35 I woke her
A 5.5 hrs
Crib at 7:15
BT 8:00

WU 6:25 (10hra30m night)
A 7hrs but planned for 6hrs45m
Nap at 1:22 (1hr15m)

WU 2:37 I woke her
A 5hrs10m
Crib at 7:15
BT 7:52

WU 6:30 am !!!! 10hrs40m night

The next day was very similar but she took 45m to fall asleep at BT which was 8pm and then up at 5am! It never was the same again.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 05:10:26 am by AMJ »

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2015, 11:40:00 am »
(((hugs))) you must be going mad with these short nights :(

To be honest I'm not sure what new things to suggest.  If I remember correctly, she does ok if you offer a long nap, but after a day or two her nights shorten, and same for if you cap at an hour or more? I do think it's really hard to tell what's going on when she's teething so I'm afraid I'd probably leave it til that's done, but otherwise I think I'd try capping at 30 - 45 minutes or something,  and doing an EBT of 7ish, just to see how she goes.  I still think your day is too long, but I know that's only cos of the short nights. But you'll have to do something different to break that.

Sorry, I know that's only really an amalgamation of stuff I've suggested before but I'm running out of ideas I'm afraid :( And I think you do need to wait til her teeth are through too  :(

Katherine - what do you think? Do you have any other thoughts or shall I see if anyone else can pop in?

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2015, 19:23:49 pm »
I am going mad and a few good days give me a ray of hope and I start going over my EASY logs trying to figure out yet again and again some kind of a patter. Thanks for support anyways. I guess I'll wait it out and play again with cutting the nap shorter. :)

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2015, 21:03:55 pm »
Always here with support   :-* (even if I am out of ideas!).

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2015, 05:28:19 am »
Sorry ladies I've been away for a few days.  Ok just a couple of thoughts - and sadly they are completely opposite ones so not necessarily helpful ::) but here goes......either the nap just completely keeps robbing her nights, and she needs a drastic cut, even some NNDs to get a better night, OR she is permanently OT.  I have no experience with *really* LSN kids though mine have been on the lower end in general.  DD was having some NNDs (maybe 1-2 per week) by this age so it may be worth a try.   Looking at your days though I would have said that my DD at least would have been OT on your routine, we got to the point of 6.5-7h pre-nap but would never really have had more than about 4.5h post-nap.  I agree that your days are too long right now, I know short nights aren't helping this but an earlier PD for bed might hell.  So either - keep the nap as is but try a significantly earlier BT, I'm thinking for around 11-11.5h total A time for the day.  Or if she really genuinely won't go down for bed before 5.5h A whatever her nap I think you need a drastic nap cut to shorten your day up. 

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2015, 18:56:22 pm »
Hi Katherine.

She is definitely not really LSN but she is on the lower side. I'm not sure if she is OT but maybe UT/OT. Or the cause of this is teething or developmental (she's been talking a lot lately). Also she doesn't seems ridiculously tired most days (just really really whiny) but she seems to want to play all the time. She doesn't want to go home when we are outside, she doesn't want to stop playing and sit down to eat etc. This makes me think she is not tired.

yesterday i tried cutting her nap to 1hr

WU 6:30 am ( BT ended up being really late)
A (7hrs10m)
crib 12:55
nap at 1:40 ( 1hr)

2:40 WU I woke her
A(planned for 4.5/5hrs but ended up being 5.5)
crib 7:00 ( I hoped she would be asleep 7:30 the latest)
BT 8:10pm !!!

WU 5:40am

So another unsuccessful day and night. Why is she taking so long to fall asleep?
Thanks for your suggestions. I will try them both but i don't think she will fall asleep earlier then 5/5hrs15m after 1hr15m nap

P.S. With regards to NNDs I'm afraid of offering that because during 2-1 once we tried that she started to refuse the 2nd nap every day but couldn't handle the whole day on 1 nap
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 20:07:37 pm by AMJ »

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2015, 07:24:02 am »
Personally I think she has got a bit of an UT/OT thing going on,  with the OT caused by the long days, which are in turn caused by the long nap.  She's about 25 months now? Lily has always been only slightly LSN  (she currently averages around 10.5 - 10.75hrs sleep and the average for a 5 yr old is 11hrs, for example). She was only sleeping 30 - 45 minutes at this age, with some NNDS too. Her BT was earlier though.

She used to take a long time to settle for naps and BT too if she was UT, so by this age I set WU time from her nap at 2pm. I'd put her down at 1 every day and if she was tired she'd fall asleep earlier and get a longer nap. If she wasn't she'd fall asleep later and get a shorter nap.  It was a way she could self regulate. Might be something else to try if you are nervous about cutting her nap too much? I think BT for lily was around 7.15 at this age, asleep by 7.30, which gave her around a 13 hour day.  By 27 / 28 months her nap had gone so her day obvious shortened again.

I agree btw that teething  / development could easily be the cause as much as any of the above! You can only try things out, and if they don't work, then try them again once the teething etc., has finished.  One thing to be aware of is that both my LOs had an A time leap when they turned two, so that could be part of it too.

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #158 on: May 17, 2015, 10:50:52 am »
LovelyLilyandJack, yes she is just over 25 months.

Thanks for all the valuable advice and Katherine as well! All of it makes complete sense. I will try cutting her nap shorter. Only she is not very good at catching up with an EBT and I'm afraid of getting her OT or more OT. Usually EBT just makes an even earlier WU. A long nap worked better to catch her up but lately even that is not working. Ideally she would need to take an early nap to make it a long one and to let her still have a long enough A before BT while still keeping the day short (13/13.5hrs top). But she is not falling asleep early.

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #159 on: May 17, 2015, 18:56:45 pm »
Let us know how you get on  :)

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2015, 10:20:00 am »
Good luck xx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2015, 11:09:06 am »
We had an 11hr night last night!!!!!! Wow
 The day looked like this
WU 6:05 wich some stirring from 4:30-5am
Crib 12:15 ( after I woke her up I realized that she pooped so it could be the reason she took so long to fall asleep)
S 1:15 (1hr I decided to give 1hr nap another chance)

WU 2:15 I woke her
Crib 6:15
BT 7/7:10 pm

WU 6:00!!!!!! I'm so happy you don't even know. She only  had a handful of 11hr nights.

I'm trying to give her a simillar day today but she is acting hyper before nap (got her in the crib at 12:50 to have her asleep at 1:15 the latest so we will see when she falls asleep). I also wonder if 1hr nap became a catch up nap or not and maybe she does need a 45m nap on daily basis. Or if the 11hr night was just a complete fluke all together. Gosh I'm aftaid to screw this up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:41:33 am by AMJ »

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2015, 11:40:07 am »
She is still up and it's 1:40 pm so she's been chatting in her crib for almost 1 he again. I don't know what to do with her nap. She was tired before the nap, had a little meltdown and I was thinking maybe that maybe I should've giving her 6hrs45m A instead of 7.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 11:43:50 am by AMJ »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2015, 11:45:31 am »
By this age I gave up on the nap and got DD up after 45 mins-1h if she hadn't gone off.  Can you AP a quick catnap in the car or something later on?

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2015, 11:48:53 am »
I wish but she won't nap anywhere but her crib. She is too used to the darkness of her room, white noise and crib. That's why travelling is very difficult with her. She will only pass out in the stroller  from a complete exhaustion if she didn't sleep half of the night for example.