Author Topic: quick question about nap length  (Read 19973 times)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: quick question about nap length
« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2015, 11:52:38 am »
Hugs, I do get it.  DD was very similar - however it seemed that nap transitions were the time she broke her 'golden rules' lol!  (Btw I do think some of your troubles are likely 1-0....) So I would try getting her up, playing for a bit and then following sleep cues if you see any for another try in bed.  If it's a no-go, then what's to be lost by trying a quick drive?  If she's not going to nap in bed anyway it won't do any harm and she may just surprise you with a doze.  If she does I'd wake after a short CN of 20 mins or so and then maybe 6.30/7pm BT.  If not, then it's going to have to be a NND and I would be brave and try a 5.30/6pm BT xx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2015, 11:56:32 am »
Oh Gosh 5:30/6pm BT, I'm scared.

But yes you are right, it won't hurt to try! Did you LO start to sleep 12hrs at night when NND happened. Or let's say after completely dropping the nap? I'm just not sure how long their nights supposed to be when they drop the nap..

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2015, 12:11:15 pm »
Yes 12h when nap dropping, still does 11.5 +/- 30 mins now a year later on xx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2015, 12:12:52 pm »
Thanks, let's hope today goes good for us.

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »
Darn she pooped again. I didn't think that poopy diaper would happen two days in a row at nap time. I don't believe it.

What do you think I should do with her nap tomorrow after NND? Thanks

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2015, 12:21:15 pm »
If you get a NND today I would continue to offer nap at your usual time tomorrow, she will probably go for it as she will be very tired.  So usual A time/clock time whatever you would do normally xx

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #171 on: May 18, 2015, 12:30:58 pm »
Ok thanks so much again for quick replies :)

P.S. Just checked her mouth and it looks like 2 cusps of her molar cut through the gum, probably that's why the poop.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 12:44:15 pm by AMJ »

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #172 on: May 18, 2015, 21:00:08 pm »
Sorry, only just caught up. What did you do and how did it go? X

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2015, 05:07:41 am »
No problem!

She refused the nap completely and definitely was OT. After trying in the crib and in the car she had a quick dinner, 5:30 crib and asleep at 6:10. Then she WU at around 12:25 pm (maybe earlier but she was so quiet that I barely heard her on the monitor) and stayed up for whole 3hrs!! Painful 3 hrs. I gave her meds when she WU but I'm guessing pain wasn't the problem. Then up for the day at 6:50am.

I know Katherine you said to offer a usual day after a NND but do you still think I should give her a 1hr nap considering she was up so long at night? BT? What do you ladies think? Plus I would have to offer her the nap at 1pm but that's only 6hrs of A so even though she had a bad night I'm not sure if she will take it.
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:10:40 am by AMJ »

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2015, 05:50:04 am »
Oh no, poor you :( I think I would offer the nap at the normal time, and I'd probably cap it too and offer a slightly EBT instead, but jack handles OT well, so that might not suit your LO. It's just that I'd take it as an opportunity to see how she behaved when I knew she was tired - whether she went to sleep quicker at BT for example.  Otherwise you're always compensating for her and not giving her the chance to self regulate.  But like I said, I'm mean like that cos I know jack handles OT well and just sleeps it off. The reduced A times and day length would be enough for him. If your LO doesn't handle OT well, then you might want to offer an uncapped nap, which is what many LOs need after a NND.

Sorry, not loads of help, I know. Katherine  - I don't know if you'll see this today but what do you think? (seeing as I barged in on a question for you, lol!)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:51:36 am by LovelyLilyandJack »

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2015, 06:34:19 am »
Last night before BT she was tired and a bit crazy. She took 40m to fall asleep so that's about how long it takes her lately, sometimes it takes her 1ht to fall asleep. If she falls asleep in 30m I consider it a good time.

With regards to today's nap I would like to give her a long nap to catch up only if I let her sleep  as long as she wants it will probably be closer to 1hr45m/2hrs nap although I haven't done that in a long time so I'm not 100% sure. Another thing is she might need a later BT if I give her an uncapped nap so I'm thinking I might need to cap it at some point. Thanks for suggestions though I know it's difficult because every LO is so different.

Also I would assume that this NWU was OT but it didn't differ much from an UT NWU. It was 30m longer and it was less chatty but no crying or whining she just was laying there quietly curling her hair and letting out random high pitched words. Confusing
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:37:29 am by AMJ »

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2015, 10:51:29 am »
For DD I wod just have done normal nap and capped at whatever I usually capped at. Catch up naps always backfired spectacularly here, it was better to cut the nap short and use EBT if needed. I think your DD may well go down at 1pm or even earlier tbh, after a NND DD would sometimes be happy to go down as early as 4.5-5h :o

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2015, 05:06:51 am »
So yesterday we did 1hr10ish nap( I wu her at 1hr but she couldn't get up).

But again we had a horrible night. First she was up at 8:45pm because of a heavy rain and thunder. We are on the top floor and we have slanted windows in our bedrooms so when it rains it is very loud. She never was bothered by it before but tonight she was screaming and crying and was really scared.
After a few cuddles and WI/WOs she was back asleep at around 10pm. But at 2:40am she was up again screaming. I ran in and she was saying that her bunny fell although she had him in her hands. Another dream about losing her bunny. She fell back asleep at 4:45am and was up for the day at around 6:45am.

Gosh she becoming more and more aware of her surroundings and noises around her. Now she is really OT I think. I have a feeling she needs a longer nap to catch up but the trick is to cap it at the right time and not overdo it
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 05:56:45 am by AMJ »

• Formerly lovelylily
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2015, 05:27:41 am »
They're changing fast at this age, aren't they?! It takes a while to figure out how best to balance a NND - partly cos they only come round every now and again! If that didn't work you can always try something else next time  :)

Offline AMJ

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2015, 06:04:15 am »
yes too fast, so much changing with her right now, she is like a real human being that talks a lot and understands so much more now.