Author Topic: He never seems to completely konk out!  (Read 9576 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: He never seems to completely konk out!
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2015, 00:57:56 am »
Oh (((hugs))), definitely something bothering him.

Offline *foxy*

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 07:43:27 am »
I'm wondering if he needs to go back on omeprazole. The nights are unbearable :(  I can't remember if it takes a while to kick in or if it's pretty quick - sorry, I know that's a reflux question on the night waking boards.

He's also up at 4.50am. Very unsettled. I've given him calpol which seemed to help ??? He went back to sleep for half an hour.

Im just so very tired

*Kate*

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 08:20:35 am »
IIWM I would pop him back on the reflux meds and see if it helps. I know it's a difficult call Hun. I just had to put T back onto losec while he is teething molars, his reflux has returned ::)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 21:14:32 pm »
Usually see an effect in a few days - maximum effect in a week or so.

I would try it and see and well honey  :-* :-*. It really can't hurt.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 22:28:53 pm »
Thanks guys. I gave him omeprazole tonight. Paed wants me to try formula again. Nutramigen 2 or Soy Formula. He reacted to Nutramigen last time though. We still have neocate so I was wondering about giving that another go.
Here's to hoping tonight isn't as awful - there's always hope!

*Kate*

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2015, 22:50:06 pm »
Hugs Kate, following along and hoping things look up for you. great advice from the ladies
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline katie80

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 00:40:15 am »
It really can't hurt.
I don't really know anything about reflux, but this is what I was thinking as I read through. If it can't hurt, I definitely think it's worth a try. Lots of (((hugs))), hope you see improvement soon. :-* Any chance you could get an extension on your mat leave?

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 09:06:51 am »
Fx for the night Hun. Maybe see how the reflux meds go for a week then reconsider adding neocate into the mix if you need to?
***Sara***

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 10:20:17 am »
There is a decent cross over between milk and soy protein sensitivity, so I would try the neocate first. Main issue is whether he will accept it at this age due to the taste. Soy will def be more palatable, but some say nutramigen is more bitter than neocate. I find them both foul myself  :-X :-X. My DS is currently on nutramigen.

Does he take a bottle? In my head he is BF  ???, but I may have that wrong.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 10:53:47 am »
Katie - no chance of an extension Im afraid. Mat pay runs out in 2 weeks and we can't afford to live just on OH's income.

We have tried both before. Nutramigen made me gag! I thought neocate was very slightly better! We've tried adding vanilla extract to sweeten it but he still refuses. He accepted it for about a week and was doing well with the bottle but then suddenly refused it completely.
Liz - yes he's bf. So Im df atm. He likes oat milk but of course that's not nutritious enough for him atm.

The night was bad again. He just won't settle. Gave him calpol again which definitely helped. He was better in the evening - managed 2.5 hours straight but wasn't good after that :(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 10:55:21 am by *foxy* »

*Kate*

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2015, 13:22:16 pm »
So we're back on max dose of omeprazole - no change yet. He's decided he will now take a bottle so he's currently having 50% neocate to 50% oat milk and I'll gradually reduce the amount of oat milk. Im only breastfeeding at night - it's only been one day of no BFing so my boobs are adjusting!

I have been co sleeping with him for a while but I need him back in his cot - he's 8 mo and will soon be moving so the cot will be a lot safer. Plus I'm not sure if Im disturbing him during the night along with everything else! Last night he started off in his cot. He woke 12 times between 6.30pm and midnight. Im already exhausted so I just couldn't keep going and he came back in with me and slept ok.

Am I changing too much all at once? Im back to work at the beginning of March so need some improvement before then! How do I tackle getting him back in his cot? For naps he again started there but wakes after 30/40 mins - do I try to resettle and put him back in his cot?

*Kate*

Offline katie80

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2015, 20:57:36 pm »
Am I changing too much all at once? Im back to work at the beginning of March so need some improvement before then! How do I tackle getting him back in his cot? For naps he again started there but wakes after 30/40 mins - do I try to resettle and put him back in his cot?
I don't think so.  I mean if you want things to change, you need to change them right?!  Easier said than done, believe me, I know.  I would start by working on the day time for a week to 10 days, and then tackle nights.  I think it's a little less daunting on all accounts if you do one thing at a time. 

So, all naps in cot, resettling and keeping him in the cot.  His A times may need a bump again if he's continually waking at 30/40min.  At night, I would resettle until you go to sleep and then if you need to for the first week, bring him in with you.  Ultimately, though, you are going to need resettle and keep him in the cot if that's where you want him to sleep.

(((Hugs))), it's so hard to be so tired.  Do you have some help you can secure so that you can get a break here and there during this time?

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2015, 21:20:21 pm »
Thanks Katie. He's on around 3 hours atm but I'll increase that a little. The pesky school run at 3pm throws a spanner in the works. If he's up around 6.30am then nap at 10? For 1hr 20 ish. Then the school run gets in the way.......

In terms of dropping BFing. I'm not feeding during the day but am at night atm. I'm hoping that will change. Neocate isn't very filling though!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 21:22:19 pm by *foxy* »

*Kate*

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2015, 21:56:39 pm »
Neocate is filling honey - as long as they take a full feed etc. it's fortified with oils and fats the same as any formula suitable from birth.

If it doesn't seem very filling is it because of the oat milk? That is super low in fat and if it is half of the feed.... I have heard of mums using vanilla extract to sweeten neocate. You can get flavouring modules as well (on prescription). They are things like tropical fruit flavour and designed for toddlers who won't take it with developed taste buds.

Offline ZacsMumme

• You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2015, 10:21:59 am »
T drank less neocate because it was so filling, I was worried he want getting enough but so much is absorbed and little waste.

We sweetened neocate for t. Some people disagree but our lead advised us too if he wouldn't take it because he was refusing to feed and getting dehydrated/FTT. We initially used golden syrup and after 10 days or so we weaned him off it completely. Vanilla also works for some but initially it didn't for T. You do what you have to in these circumstances I believe :-\  given he is accepting the transition though you prob don't need to sweeten at all unless you want to ditch the oat in one shot.

Personally I would wait for him to be on neocate only for a week then try st if you feel he is more comfortable.

What solids is he on?
***Sara***