Author Topic: He never seems to completely konk out!  (Read 9564 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: He never seems to completely konk out!
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2015, 05:43:40 am »
The routine looks good, I think. Sorry you haven't gotten any replies on Props... we can ask around for you and give you a bump.

I'm not sure what to say about the bedtime feed, maybe Liz will have some ideas. How many solid meals does he have? Could you cut back on what you offer for tea and see if that helps?

As for the NW/NF, now I think you'll want to start consolidating into 1-2 decent sized feeds and then stop offering a bottle at all wakes. What do you think?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2015, 12:11:08 pm »
I struggle with the bedtime bottle as well - he only wants it when he is fully hungry. I got 1oz into him last night  >:(.

What time is his previous bottle? Is he good with solids or not yet? You might need a bigger gap on either really.

It might be something we just have to ride out until he is 9ish months and on 3 bottles and 3 solid meals.

Offline *foxy*

• Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2015, 10:18:44 am »
He always refuses breakfast - probably bc is feeds all night! Lunch is usually better. He's on smooth purées as he gags with more lumpy things. Although we are giving him more textured food and he's doing better with finger foods. Tea is usually at around 4.30 and again he'll eat quite well. His bottles are at 9.30/10am and 3.30pm Then BT bottle at 6.30.

Last night was quite good apart from the start. He coughed from 7-9pm. Had another 4oz at 9. Woke at 12.30 had maybe a couple of oz's then woke again at 3.20 had another drink. Up at 5.50am.

How do I consolidate the feeds?

*Kate*

Offline katie80

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2015, 01:13:16 am »
Does he have a morning WU bottle?

How do I consolidate the feeds?
Only offer them every 4hr, resettling other wakes (making sure you don't stop resettling to feed, but get him all the way to sleep and then feed at the next wake). Then, stretch out to 6, and then 8hr.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2015, 12:56:30 pm »
Ok so resettle without feeding until he's gone 4 hours without a feed? He's not having big feeds at night. Managed to get 6oz into him at BT last night and he slept 7-10.15pm. But only had a couple of oz's. I'll try to push him out to 4 hours between feeds

He's now wanting a really long nap mid morning. Today he was up at 7am. Nap was 10.30 - 12.50! Is that too long?? Did a 30min CN yesterday 4.30-5. Don't want to mess up the nights with too much daytime sleep!

*Kate*

Offline katie80

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2015, 14:41:59 pm »
Ok so resettle without feeding until he's gone 4 hours without a feed? He's not having big feeds at night.
Yes, I think to get him from waking to take just a few drinks you'll have to resettle.

He's now wanting a really long nap mid morning. Today he was up at 7am. Nap was 10.30 - 12.50! Is that too long?? Did a 30min CN yesterday 4.30-5. Don't want to mess up the nights with too much daytime sleep!
It's hard to know at this point. It's probably ok, since the other one is only 30min, but if he continues to wake at night or starts to EW, you'll probably have to cap it to 2hr.

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2015, 21:45:47 pm »
Hi

I really need some help in regards to promoting self settling.

Update: Im now back at work - which is great for me but maybe not so much for DS. He's doing well though, it's only been 3 weeks. His grandparents look after him for 1 day and he's at a CM the other day.

He is still waking a lot during the night. On average probably 5 times. He is not an independent sleeper. He loves to suck on my fingers! BT is bottle, cuddle until asleep and then into cot.

Naps - 9.30ish - 11.30am (sometimes longer!)
          3ish - 3.45pm

BT 6.30/7 - usually wakes 7.30, 9, 10, 12, 2 maybe 4ish and then up at 6
He starts off in his cot but out of pure desperation to sleep he ends up next to me. He needs settling with either cuddles, milk or sucks on my finger.

When he's with his grandparents - currently staying with him at our house until he's more used to them looking after him - he naps as he usually would with me. At the CM's he does around an hour in the morning and then 1.5 hours in the afternoon. The problem is is he's not eating much during the day so is starving at night!

He's been ill on and off for a couple of months with the usual colds etc. he's now cutting his first tooth - finally!
I've let things get out of hand really. I need to get on top of his sleeping!

My question is - how do I stop him sucking my fingers for comfort? Do I go cold turkey? I guess I need to try him with his thumb again and only get him to suck that not my fingers?
Do I start with that and then work on helping him to self settle with him sucking his thumb? He completely refuses a dummy. Sorry if this post is all over the place - Im trying to give you all the info but it might just sound like me rambling!

*Kate*

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2015, 09:52:13 am »
Yes - if you want to remove the prop you have to stop offering it. Sorry  :-\.

I really don't see another way.

I wouldn't encourage the thumb as such either - he's old enough to figure out what sort of self settling he is going to do  :).

Offline *foxy*

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2015, 09:55:12 am »
Ok. Thanks Liz. Would pu/pd be ok to try do you think?

*Kate*

Offline katie80

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2015, 00:57:10 am »
I agree with Liz, hon. He's really too old to try to gradually help him through. You need to stop offering your finger. He will either find his thumb or suck on a lovey or do something else all together (my DD pulled/twirls her hair, my DS2 grabs his lovey and stuffs it under his tummy).

Yes, PUPD would be appropriate, or you can just sit by his cot and soothe him with your voice and a light touch when needed. At this age, there's really not much picking up anyway. Is he pulling up to standing? At that point, you would just do PD. This is a great link on the age adaptations... How to PU/PD (inc age adaptations)