Author Topic: Getting some kind of structure would be good! Please help!!  (Read 1080 times)

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting some kind of structure would be good! Please help!!
« on: January 14, 2015, 17:51:34 pm »
Hi everyone,
   I have a 2year & 10 moth old little girl, with whom I used BW with  to great success. I stuck to EASY religiously & we have been very lucky in that she sleeps well and is a very very happy little toddler. I also now have a 13 week old little boy. The truth is, I'm desperate to get a routine- but I haven't a clue how to with the bigger one in tow 😪.

I will give you a little background on baby Max!! He had a very traumatic birth, but was a great placid little boy since day one. He was a good napper & went to sleeping through the night by 10 weeks. He fed well on SMA to start with but seemed to poop only every 5/6 days so we changed to aptamil- all was well. At 8/9 weeks he developed a cold. he was very very congested. Basically, he began to writhe around in pain, he started to become grizzly, and generally unhappy. This got gradually worse so the HV told us to back to SMA. Things continued as before, getting slightly worse.
   We went back to the doc- 3 times, each time to be told, yes he has lots of mucus, it's in his throat not his chest- so ride it out. It just continued to get worse- the crying turned to screaming. We were then advised to change bottle teat to Dr Brown- theory being that he was swallowing lots of air as he was so congested, it made sense, but it made very little difference.
   Throughout all of this He still sleeps 9pm- 6:30/7 and goes back to sleep after a feed!!! He was prescribed carobel, and then ranitidine- both did nothing. Next step is to try a formula for cows milk protein allergy. 

Now, I know there is something bothering him, but I also know that a routine would most definitely help him. He naps downstairs- but is woken up by big sister repeatedly. I tried him upstairs yesterday & he napped for 1hour 20- no problem. I have really forgotten how to do the routine thing & I'm so unsure of how to work it around big sis. He feeds every 3/3:30 hours and naps well in the car on on me!!! Big sis naps everyday from 1-2:30/3  & I'm wary of putting him to bed next door to her in case he screams & wakes her.

I think a routine would do us all good & help him settle, I have been reluctant to do it until now as he was poorly, but the cold is very nearly over & I think it's something else.

He is up everyday around 6/6:30/7 if it's 6- he goes back to sleep. If its7 it's feed & up.

I think I've waffled here- a lot, but basically, I need a rough idea of a day that I could be trying out with him at 13 weeks. Sorry it's a long one- hope it's on the right page?😥
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:15:26 pm by Elvisking »

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Getting some kind of structure wouldn't be good! Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 18:41:40 pm »
Have you started a formula for cows milk issues?? How is that going??

My DS is 7 weeks and on nutramigen.

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 23:35:44 pm »
Hi Liz, thanks for replying!
  We had to order the milk in- so we get it tomorrow! Doc was concerned that he wouldn't take nutramigen as it is a strong taste & thick- he is 13 weeks nearly so he is used to regular formula!

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 07:29:34 am »
It is a strong taste. We call it Thomas's stinky milk  ::) ;). I had no issues at all but he was just 3 weeks. You can dilute it over if need be. So start with 3oz regular, 1oz nutramigen for a few feeds, then 2oz of each for a few feeds etc. I found with Thomas that he just needed the essence of the new taste then he took it.

I once tried to get an 8 month old onto neocate and that is what I did - very slowly!! That stuff is foul.

Let's try and get him onto the nutramigen first and see if it helps then think about routine. You can't ST an uncomfortable baby  :-\, although I appreciate OT etc doesn't help.

When I had DD I went for a set nap approach and I worked on her long nap during my toddlers nap. Seemed to work best. I used a sling for the first and the CN as well (she hated the car seat or buggy). I did use some AP to get her down as lots of crying would wake DS. BF to drowsy, then white noise, then extend by lifting and cuddling and putting back down. I know, I know. But slowly it worked... And by 4 months she would sleep 2 hrs without walking, and started taking her morning nap in the cot as well

But nutramigen first I think

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Getting some kind of structure would be good! Please help!!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 12:17:00 pm »
Ok, thanks😊 first two bottles in & devoured & no crying😍. Let's see how it goes....... Xx

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
Re: Getting some kind of structure would be good! Please help!!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 15:14:48 pm »
Great  :)  :-*.