Author Topic: 5 month old waking up at night  (Read 917 times)

Offline Robinkvernon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 month old waking up at night
« on: January 10, 2015, 13:05:00 pm »
My LO is 5 months old (today) and started sleeping through the night at 3 months but for the last 2 1/2 weeks is waking 1-3 times at night. We have been on easy since birth and it looks like this:

7am Eat (Breastfeed)
7:30-9:15 activity
9:30-10:30 nap
11 Eat
11:30-1 activity
1-2:30 nap
3 Eat
After that it's play time, cat naps, bath time etc
7 Eat
7:45 bedtime

The wakings started after a trip so I didnt worry at first but it's been a long time back in our routine. He wants to nurse when he wakes and daddy can't calm him most of the time. We tried shush/pat and PU/PD although I'll admit, not for long. It's sometimes easier just to nurse. Accidental parenting I'm sure.

Please help with ideas!  I'm back at work and the wakings are getting difficult. Most nights they are 12-1ish again around 4 then at 5 or 6......

Offline Robinkvernon

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5 month old waking up at night
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 01:11:09 am »
And more details:
How long are naps? Short lately (30-45m but about an hour + with his caregiver)
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Breast
How much? or how long?  4x a day for 20 minutes
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) both
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? It may be mantra crying but I go in to check.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? He plays on Mat, outside time, reading
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Yes to both
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)- yes once a day , 1 tablespoon to help him gain weight.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it?  Pacifier.
Do they have a lovie?  No

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 19:46:00 pm »
Hello and welcome to BW!

Are these NWs long? or brief wake-ups for a feed and then back to sleep?

There is a growth spurt around 5 mos.  At that age, my two would both have had a feed at 10/10.30pm and then had possibly two NFs if growing.  If he's waking, desperate to feed, feeds and goes straight to sleep, then I would bet it's a growth spurt.

You might want to try giving him a feed before you go to bed, no later than 11 pm.  Try to get him to feed without waking up, might take a couple of nights :)  but it would hopefully reduce NWs, and you can encourage him to feed a bit more during the day as well perhaps.  Often BF babies will make up for lost time during the day with mama by waking at night.  Cute, sort of ::)
Night Feeds and the Breast Fed Baby
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Robinkvernon

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5 month old waking up at night
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:55:51 am »

The wakings are brief. Last night was 12, 3:45, 5:15. The 5:15 was the only one that I couldn't calm him down. I think that may have been teething. He would nurse then pull off crying. 

Any idea how long this can last?  I'm always fearful that I've gotten him in the habit of waking up and nursing. Is there a point I should try PU/PD again?  It's so hard to keep relaxed when youre sleep deprived.