Author Topic: Dream feeding for 23mth old!  (Read 1823 times)

Offline mummacat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Dream feeding for 23mth old!
« on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:05 am »
Hi there, My brother is convinced that he should continue giving his son a dream feed at 23mths!!  I have told him that it's about time (most overdue infact) to drop this.  He is concerned that his son requires the hydration??!!  The boy eats well during the day but does not have a bedtime bottle at 7pm (apparently too full from dinner) but then does a 10pm feed!  :o Do you have any scientific facts or links to support cutting out this super late feed?  I believe it interrupts deep REM sleep and can inhibit brain development.  What can you tell me on this issue?  :-X What can I show him to convince him to stop?? Some bottles are apparently around 270ml/8.5oz.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: Dream feeding for 23mth old!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 20:32:26 pm »
Are they cleaning his teeth after that bottle? Probably not so tooth decay is a much bigger issue for them - have they seen a dentist yet?

Toddlers don't need feeds overnight - they really don't wake from hunger if they have had no food at tea time. My DD didn't have a bedtime milk drink by that age either. The majority of babies have dropped all nightfeeds by 10 months and actually a big drink during the night is going to be an issue for night time dryness too.

I'll move this over to a more appropriate boards too!

Laura

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 20:45:47 pm »
I suppose I would ask your brother what he thinks it's achieving?  The hydration point doesn't work because other toddlers don't need it. DFs are intended to help babies make it longer through the night, because they have small tummies.  It's a way of getting an extra feed in when the adult is still awake anyway, and to avoid NWs.  None of that really should apply to this LO. 

Are they waking him for it? Or is it a real DF?
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 23:16:17 pm »
I agree with pps that the night dryness and teeth health are the major factors here for me. I would probably be suggesting that they bring the feed an hour earlier every few days and reducing the amount offere to wean LO from the extra feed.
~ Naomi ~

Offline mummacat

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:36:59 am »
Thank you for your thoughts, I haven't thought much on teeth decay or night-time dryness.  I actually think you are right on that issue weaver, they change his nappies and give him a bottle, so that's actually waking him...not a true DF.  Still as recipe for sleep disaster.  Thank you for moving the post Lolly, I appreciate all your feedback. ;D

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 11:05:01 am »
Aha so it's not a dreamfeed.  Well if you can get them to see that, they might start to wonder *why* they are waking their child up to feed him.  Would they like if someone did that to them? I don't think so!

Best thing might be a gradual wean, swap milk for water, don't change nappies, keep it very low key.  Though if it were me, I would definitely try just leaving him to sleep and see what happens! 
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 13:15:18 pm »
My two year old had a  little non-spill sippy of water in her cot, she could help herself if she woke up thirsty in the night.