Author Topic: Is it ok to move my small baby onto 4 hour EASY at 4 months  (Read 1708 times)

Offline clairepenguin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is it ok to move my small baby onto 4 hour EASY at 4 months
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:01:36 am »
My 15 week old wee boy is following the 0.4% growth curve and is about 11 lbs at the moment.  He seems to want to feed every 3.5 to 4 hours and will feed once through the night after being put down at 7pm. If he was bigger I'd have no worries at all but I'm wondering if I should be feeding him more often because he's so little.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Is it ok to move my small baby onto 4 hour EASY at 4 months
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 15:00:56 pm »
How is he in himself? Lots of wet and dirty diapers? Content? If so he may just be on the right spot for him on the charts and be getting enough fo his needs. How many feeds does that end up being in 24 hours?
Heidi

Offline clairepenguin

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 15:52:49 pm »
Probably about 6 feeds in 24 hrs.  He's pretty happy with that.  A recent development is that I've introduced a dummy - he's got a posterior tongue-tie (got anterior bit snipped) and has a terrible latch. Dummy was a way of saving my nipples from being shredded from comfort sucking.  Feeds seem to have decreased since then so maybe just not snacking as much anymore?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 13:20:41 pm »
If he is having plenty of wet diapers and is content then Iwould follow his lead...keep in kind though there is usually a growth spurt at 4 months so it may all change. I would not try to push out to 4 hourly feeds at this tbh, mine never acheived that until they started solids.
Heidi

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 21:57:56 pm »
If he is following the curve then I'd say he is growing as expected and you needn't worry about which line it is. It's only an issue if he is dropping from one curve to another.

I'd follow his lead. Mine extended their feed intervals by staying up longer for their A time and then not waking until closer to 4 hrs since the last feed. If they are asleep for the last 1.5-2hrs of the 4hrs then it is much easier to stretch it than if they are awake well before the 4hr point and you are holding off on offering the breast.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011