Author Topic: Fav books for 3yr old?  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Fav books for 3yr old?
« on: January 12, 2015, 17:46:44 pm »
Ben's pre-school is integrated with a public school so the teachers send him home with those scholastic book orders.  So we were flipping through it the other day and I asked Ben if there looked like there was anything he wanted to order.  All of a sudden...

Ben: Pete!
Me: Huh?
Ben: Pete!
Me: *puzzled look*
Ben: *pointing/flailing arms* PETE!!!
Me: *Look down into catalog, notice book* Pete the cat?
Ben: Pete the Cat!!

I think to myself 'who is this Pete the Cat?' so I figure I can find it on youtube.  So I pull it up.  Ben.Went.Bonkers.  Seriously, I can't remember the last time he got so excited about something.  Booty shaking dance moves, excited shrieking, the works.  You would have thought it was a 13yr old girl screaming for Justin Bieber lol.  Apparently they love this Pete the Cat at preschool and I had no idea it even existed...apparently Pete is a pretty big deal.   Needless to say, we ordered the series.  He hasn't gotten any new books in a while and we are doing LOADS of reading before bed, so curious to know your 3ish-yr olds favorite books?  I appear to not be very 'with it' when it comes to what is popular for preschoolers!

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 18:23:34 pm »
 We didn't discover Pete the Cat until age 5.   :)

DDs favorite books at 3 were the "Bear" series....  Bear Snores On.....Bear Wakes Up, Bear Feels Sick, etc......they are adorable, the characters are so sweet, and the best part is the rhythmic way you read them.....it's kinda like a rap....but not....LOL....these books are our all-time faves.   :)

http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Snores-On-The-Books/dp/1416902724

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
Re: Fav books for 3yr old?
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 21:26:11 pm »
Pretty much anything by Julia Donaldson was brilliant at that stage but I especially loved The Snail and the Whale and What the Ladybird Heard.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 21:51:18 pm »
I also have no idea who Pete the Cat is.

The entire Mr Men series, plus Little Miss etc.
Dr Seuss books, including lots of non-fiction which are written in rhyme but lots of facts in there too
The entire Thomas the Tank series
anything with dinosaurs
anything with trucks/tractors

Towards the end of the year he enjoyed being read chapter books like Horrid Henry and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I also had a thread for books for 3yo last year
Books for 3 - 4 year olds
in case you find it useful.

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:36:59 am »
I just heard of Pete the cat this year too in DSs pre-k :) DD who is 3 really likes the maisy character books. DS who is 5 got introduced to the pigeon books by mo Williams which he loves. A really fun one is " oh its a tiger". Curious George was a big fave of DSs at that age too.

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 07:11:22 am »
Oh yes, that pigeon is hilarious!! Some of our favourite picture books too!
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline lily_layne

• Showing Appreciation 65
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 15:27:29 pm »
Anything by Mo Willems is great. If ds has a lovey he might like knuffle bunny. DD likes the llama llama series and Grumpy Bird right now.
DD - August 2012
DS - November 2014

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 14:03:42 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!  One book I was to get him is "Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site" because I've heard many boys of his age love it.  His favourite book is Freight Train:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/kids/books/freight-train/9780688117016-item.html?ref=books%3akids%3akids-age-category-preschoolers%3abest-for-boys-ages-3%3a5%3a

I am going to go out at lunch today and cruise around the book store and get something for myself and him as well because I got a gift card for Christmas.  And his Pete the Cat books should be in soon :)

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 18:23:40 pm »
I just learned about pete the cat this year too!  DD1 started jk in September and also went bonkers for the pete the cat books she saw in the book order! 

We started getting Robert Munsch books from the library around 3yo (some audiobooks too where he reads the stories) and the girls both love them.  If we see a Robery Munsch book in the book order with the audio cd we usually get it, because its much more fun when they hear him tell the stories!  DD2 even loves the books, I caught her trying to sing the mortimer song while flipping through the book one day, cutest thing ever!

Julia Donaldson is big in this house too, along with Eric Carle (hungry caterpillar, etc.)  We got Steam Train, Dream Train from the library (same author as construction site) and dd1 loved it, I'm sure your ds would too  :)  We often get Franklin books from the library, dd1 has liked those for a long time now.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 18:50:21 pm »
The flipping construction book was $20!!  Lordy, what books cost these days...

We do frequent the library but I wanted him to have this one special just for him.  I was planning on getting more but I couldn't justify the cost lol...cheaper online!  He does have Hungry Hungry Caterpiller which he likes.  Haven't started into the Robert Munch yet, but I have very fond memories of reading them as a child.  Maybe we'll get him a set for his birthday in April.  I know Costco sells 1 giant book with the whole Munch collection in it.

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 00:38:39 am »
I was going to say the Elephant and Piggie books by Mo Willems. DD has a few of them memorized!
*Kate*

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 12:38:32 pm »
Lordy, what books cost these days...
Do you have any discount book shops near you?  I'm really lucky there are a few in my town, the saving is unbelievable. We use the library frequently but also have hundreds of bought books which are read over and over, mostly discounted.

Offline Lindsay27

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 15:03:47 pm »
Do you have any discount book shops near you?
Not really no.  My town is really small and we only have 1 bookstore.  There are lots of moms who sell their books in our local facebook marketplace groups so that is always an option.  It was just shocking that this little 14-page book cost the same as my 600-page book!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 15:14:42 pm »
That's a shame. Any charity shops? (some of ours have great kids books, dirty cheap and great condition...others have few kids books though).
The price of books (when they are full price) really is shocking. I've just calculated we've had close on 1000 pounds worth of books from the library in the last year  :o :o :o

Offline TB9

• Showing Appreciation 60
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 15:55:56 pm »
Was it Chapters/Indigo?  Books from Chapters are always cheaper online than in store.  Part of their marketing strategy to compete with amazon, but still keep their brick and mortar stores...if you get a plum card you get an extra 5% off online.

We also have bought books at the consignment shop.  Other than that the cheapest is through the Scholastic book orders!