Author Topic: Baby's First Birthday Cake  (Read 6236 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Baby's First Birthday Cake
« on: January 13, 2015, 12:33:34 pm »
Baby's First Birthday Cake

On LO's first birthday you might want to give your baby their first experience of 'real' cake, sugar-frosting and all, after all the portion size is going to be small.  Or you might be looking for a sugar-free version or alternative ideas for the birthday centre piece.

Here are some websites for recipes and ideas (sugar and no-sugar options)
http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipFirstBDay.htm

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/healthy-first-birthday-cake-recipes.html

https://uk.pinterest.com/onepartsunshine/recipes-healthy-first-birthday-cakes-for-baby/

Here are some ideas from the BW community.
Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Please continue to add ideas and recipes for baby's first birthday cake  :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 18:37:23 pm by creations »

Offline creations

Re: Baby's First Birthday Cake
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 19:28:02 pm »
This recipe comes from "What To Expect, The First Year"

First Birthday cake

275 g Thinly sliced carrots
600 ml apple juice concentrate
225 g raisins
285 g wholemeal flour
75 g wheatgerm
2 tblsp low sodium baking powder
1 tblsp cinnamon
60 ml rapeseed oil
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1 tblsp vanilla extract
125 g unsweetened apple puree

pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C.
line 2, 23 cm square cake tins, with grease proof paper and grease.

Combine carrots and 270 ml juice concentrate in saucepan, bring to boil then simmer gently covered for 15-20 mins (until tender)
Transfer to blender and puree till smooth, add raisins and process till finely chopped.
Allow to cool.

Combine flour, wheatgerm and baking powder.  Add 300 ml of remaining juice, oil eggs and egg whites and vanilla.  Beat until well mixed.  Fold in carrot mix and apple puree.  Divide batter between tins.

Bake until a knife inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean (35-40 mins).  Allow to cool briefly in the tins then turn onto wire rack to finish cooling.

Frost with cream cheese frosting (still layers together with half the frosting and use the rest to top the cake)

Cream Cheese Frosting

120 ml Apple juice concentrate
45 g Cream Cheese (at room temp)
2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
75 g finely chopped raisins
1.5 teaspoons Unflavoured gelatin

Process all but 2 tblsp of Apple concentrate with cream cheese, vanilla and raisins (Use a blender or food processor) Set aside.

Stir gelatin into remaining juice concentrate in a small saucepan. Allow to stand to soften for 1 min.  Boil over a medium heat, stirring to dissolve gelatin.  Beat gelatin into Cream Cheese Mix until well blended.  Cover and refrigerate until frosting begins to set (30-60 mins)

Use to frost the cake.

(A bit of a faf, but at least its baby friendly!!)

originally posted by alison toms mum

Offline creations

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 19:37:25 pm »
For my DD's 1st birthday 'cake' I made a kind of 'pyramid' of mini banana muffins (think of the ferrero rocher 'ambassador you're spoiling us ad  ;)). Only a few ingredients, fairly simple to make (had to be for me to make them  ;)) and as they were so small the little folk could have one and weren't overfaced - and the adults could just keep popping them in (whole!) til they'd had their fill.

originally posted by mumofalice
mod: this is a great idea - there are so many recipe options for mini muffins and cupcakes

Offline creations

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 19:39:06 pm »
 I made organic vanilla cupcakes...used organic dye to write a letter on each one and put them on a platter to spell out "Happy Birthday Amelia".   I got the mix from the health food store.  There are soooo many options now.....5 years ago it was a hunt for sure! I was nervous to do a scratch recipe.   :-\   Oh and I bought a bakery cake for the adults....

originally posted by We Three

Offline creations

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 19:41:48 pm »
For my DS1's first birthday I made a chocolate cake from my baking with agave cookbook that was made with wholesome flours, zucchini, and agave instead of refined sugar.  The icing was buttercream also made with agave.  It was wonderful!

For my DS2's first birthday I used the same book and made 3 kinds of cupcakes:  fudgy chocolate (made with quinoa flour and iced with buttercream), another type made with zucchini and carrot (iced with cream cheese frosting), and apple cinnamon cupcakes (also with cream cheese frosting).  They were sooo good.

originally posted by ~inbalance~

Offline creations

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 19:43:36 pm »
I used a banana bread recipe to make Zacs construction site cake and it was the best banana cake I have ever had! I had no eggs (Zs friend was allergic) oil instead of butter and was easy as!

originally posted by ZacsMumme

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 19:45:03 pm »
Austin loved his fruit tart for his first bday

originally posted by Love, laughter, & PJs

Offline creations

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 19:46:04 pm »
my mom made 2 cakes! 1 normal sponge in
a hedgehog shape,&1 banana bread 1 for the LOs.

originally posted by *happy*

Offline creations

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 18:34:08 pm »
I made sugar free sweet potato and sultana muffins with cream cheese topping for DS's first birthday.

A banana bread recipe can be baked in a round cake pan instead of a loaf tin?  Decorating the top with cream cheese (there are some sugar free frosting recipes there too, adding vanilla essence or apple sauce to sweeten it) and beautifully sliced fruits can make even sugar free look (and taste) yummy. Sliced strawberries, kiwi, or fresh berries would look lovely.
TBH I've given people sugar free cake/muffins many times and no one even notices.  Depending on the recipe if you finely grate sweet potato or carrot it makes it taste sweeter throughout the cake. Also if you whizz bananas rather than mashing or chopping this makes a sweeter cake too.
Not sure if you can get sugar free jam there, there are 2 varieties here which are sugar and artificial sweetener free, 100% fruit, which could be used in the middle in a two layer cake.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 18:35:44 pm by creations »