Author Topic: Hiding fruit and veg  (Read 10706 times)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Hiding fruit and veg
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2016, 13:47:12 pm »
Do I just boil the veg in few cups of water and add all the spices at the end or at the same time as boiling?
Throw everything in with some water and cook until the veg are soft. This is not a "recipe" it is "cooking", the absolute easiest of easy.
You can saute onions, you can use fresh garlic, you can boil bones...but you don't *have to*.

I made a sort of cream of tomato soup just by using a can of plum toms or a carton of pasata (it's like 35p, nothing added) some seasoning/flavours (dried garlic etc) and then a dollop of cream cheese. It is not posh in the slightest. But DS never liked soup until fairly recently and that was canned tom soup which has salt and sugar etc, I don't mind it once in a blue moon but would prefer he didn't have that. When he asked for tom soup I made this with what I had in and he was just as happy, and it only took about 5 mins, same length of time to heat a can of soup really.
Fresh veg will take a bit longer, you might need to boil for 10-20 mins depending how big you chop the veg (or you can leave it simmering on low for an hour if you are busy doing something else and a longer cook time fits with your time better).  And after pureeing all/half/some you might want to add more water/milk to thin it.
If you don't have a whizzer you can just use a fork or potato masher to mash some of the veg down which is what turns the water thick and soup like. Even vigorous stirring will do it if the veg are long cooked.

And as deb mentioned beans - you can add a can of pre-cooked beans to veg soup (I can canned in water beans/lentils), yummy, or even a can of baked beans (of course you are back to there being some processed stuff in there if it's canned baked beans).

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2016, 08:07:27 am »
Just FYI Aishi, in the UK rice milk isn't recommended for LOs under 5yo due to the levels of inorganic arsenic.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/drinks-and-cups-children.aspx#close

:o  I was looking at this because we have the same issue as Aishi with food and was very surprised with this.
We`ve been using rice milk for two years now. She like`s that the most of all alternatives. I did some research and some says that if it`s organic it`s ok to drink everyday. What do you think about that? 

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2016, 18:49:28 pm »
I don't think that organic or not makes any difference. From what I understand, the reasons for the presence of arsenic in rice are not known yet (it is not clear where it comes from, as far as I understand), so it is unlikely that the use of a product or of another in the field really makes a difference.
Barbara

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2016, 06:56:47 am »
 ::) I`m a bit upset with myself about not reading more about rice milk before we started giving it to her. I could try giving cows milk but I dont  trust the quality of milk we can get, even if I buy directly from farmers. We`ll have to work with the other alternatives than.

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2016, 10:20:56 am »
Why don't you trust cow milk? I mean, it is the same with all industrial products, also soy or almond... except that they are not real milk and don't have animal proteins (which could be kind of good, but all depends of the dose), of course. I mean, at that age you can even stop giving milk if she eats different calcium sources.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 10:22:49 am by barbaraz78 »
Barbara