Author Topic: NW that last a few hours - HELP, I'M EXHAUSTED  (Read 4860 times)

Offline jnduff

• Love being a mama
  • New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: NW that last a few hours - HELP, I'M EXHAUSTED
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 01:09:25 am »
That would definitely work for me I just need to get daycare on same page.  Ideally I think he would benefit by going down around 9:30 -10 and then from 1-2:30ish...then he would be around that 2 hour max per day.  I agree pushing through the OT will be worth it.  I just need to get his morning nap later so things can start working themselves out...I will see if she can push his nap 5 minutes or so a day until we get to the desired time. Thank you so much for the guidance and support...a definite livesafer and network of support when it seems like I'm losing my mind! A million thanks for listening.

Offline jnduff

• Love being a mama
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 14:15:38 pm »
Well I ended up having an unexpected day off today which works out well for me to start moving the morning nap.  He woke up at 5 and I ended up getting him back to sleep by 6 am and woke him at 6:45/6:50. I thought this would help me to get him to go until later. So here it is 9:15 and he is playing And not too fussy.  My plan is to go start winding down in the next 5-10 minutes. I plan on capping the morning nap at 30 to 45 minutes but I need to cap the afternoon too, right?? 

So total daytime sleep should be only 2 hours between the two naps?? Am I cutting too much all at once? Also should I keep bedtime the same at 7:15?

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 14:17:58 pm »
I don't think 2.5h total sleep is unreasonable at this age for some LOs, I would probably allow up to 2h for the second nap for now if you are capping the morning one to 30 mins.  After a few days you should be able to see if something needs shortening more x

Offline jnduff

• Love being a mama
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2015, 15:27:54 pm »
Well I am happy to report that my LO is doing pretty good.  He is now waking anywhere from 5:15 to 6am.  Typically it has been 5:15 or so.  Way better than the 4am wake up call!  I am just feeling bad that I have to wake him up from his morning nap.  He gets so so tired and looks so content snuggled in sleeping.  He has been doing about a 45 minute morning nap and around 9:30 and then about an hour 15 minutes in the afternoon.  It is hard because he has to make a long stretch of A time in the morning and another long A stretch in the afternoon to get to bedtime.  Yesterday it was close to 4+ hours.  I know that he has been a bit OT lately and grouchy but pushing through for the sake of the end result. 

Does this sound about right?  I feel bad like I am making him upset but he is sleeping through from 7:15pm - 5:15am.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 15:39:00 pm »
I'm really glad things are going in the right direction for you :)

So a couple of ideas - though I'm not quite sure when your afternoon nap is happening?  You could keep the 45 minute morning nap but then push your afternoon nap a touch later to see if you can get a longer one and shorten the stretch to bedtime.  Or you could slowly continue to push and shorten your morning nap which may have the same effect of lengthening the afternoon one.  So 9.35-10.15, then 9.40-10.15 etc etc

What do you think?

Offline jnduff

• Love being a mama
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2015, 16:01:15 pm »
I did push the afternoon nap a bit over the weekend since we were home and if it was closer to 1:30 or so he would play and be up until almost 2pm.  He did eventually take a nap, he just seemed to get a second wind and get more active instead of calming and slowing down.  Typically afternoon nap is happening anywhere from 1 or 1:15....latest would be 1:30 even at daycare and that is few and far between.

I am wondering what will happen today at daycare since he will be more occupied and busy there as opposed to at home.  I am hopeful that he will sleep longer in the afternoon so that he doesn't have such a long stretch. 

I will try to stretch the afternoon nap a little since we are already struggling a little with the morning nap...he is usually ready for morning nap by 8:45 or so by showing signs of being tired etc.  The afternoon he is a bit better and will be easier to stretch him I think.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 09:33:49 am »
Keep us posted x

Offline jnduff

• Love being a mama
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 16:32:53 pm »
Well I am at a loss.  Today he was up at 4am and I got him back to sleep until 5:15ish.  Typically it is just 5:15 or 5:30 that he is waking.  I thought we were on the right track but then today I was discussing him with my daycare provider and now feel unsure.  It has been almost a week since I have moved things around a bit for him.  The last 6 days I have felt that he is OT but thought I should push through to get to the end result. 

Typically nap has been from 9:30-10am and afternoon nap from 1-3.  Yesterday he cried from 11-12 and then was fine until 1pm and napped fine.  Today he napped in the morning from 9-9:45 since he just couldn't make it.  He was just miserable, either with being OT or teeth. She did give him Tylenol and his mood has improved so I am really feeling like teeth are the problem.  My gut just keeps telling he its tired...I am used to my other kids who at the same age seemed to sleep way more and better.  I am trying to stay focused on the end result but the constant crying and fussiness is taking its toll.  Also - feeling like there is something that I am not doing right or something that I could fix or help him with.  It is a struggle for me to accept that he just doesn't need as much sleep.

Offline jnduff

• Love being a mama
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2015, 12:53:27 pm »
Well this morning he slept until 6:45 when I woke him up to get ready!  Not sure what I did differently but it was amazing.  He woke up happy and clearly felt like he was much more rested, and then I realized he slept an extra 1 hour and 45 minutes.  That is a lot of time. 

He did go to bed a tad bit later than the usual 7:15...it might have been 7:20 or 7:25.  And the other thing was that he woke up at 3am - I was able to easily calm him and resettle him quickly. SO I am not sure if  that sort of worked like a W2S or what...but it worked.  I am curious if I should do it again to sort of reset his internal clock or anything else it could have been.  Suggestions?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 14:01:24 pm »
That's a really good night, did you get a repeat? 

The 3am waking may have acted a bit like a wake to sleep.  I'm not sure I'd personally be brave enough to try it though! 

Offline jnduff

• Love being a mama
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 15:13:53 pm »
I did not get a repeat...I was hoping for one but didn't.  I too think it acted like a W2S...I am not sure I am familiar with it enough to try it again.  But after a 5 am wake up today...on the weekend...I think I might be willing to read up on it and try.  He is exhausted and can hardly make it to the first nap at 9:30...getting better but when he is up at 5 it makes for a long morning.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2015, 19:09:58 pm »
Ugh I know, those long mornings are hard work :(. This might help - How do I address habitual wakings? (wake-to-sleep and other methods)

Offline jnduff

• Love being a mama
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 19:48:49 pm »
How do I address waking earlier and earlier...the last two days he has been getting up at 4:15 or 4:30.   I have dealt with EW as well as NW that we have fixed by simply tweaking his naps etc.  I guess my question now is do I go for a later bedtime or do I cap the afternoon nap...or both?

Currently he is napping in the morning from 9:30-10 and in the afternoon from 1-3ish...I am thinking that the afternoon is still a bit long.  Also he as a 4 hour A time in the afternoon from nap to bedtime...but the rest of the day it is 3.5 hours.

Not sure what to tweak and I am not totally ready to drop the morning nap and only go to one nap a day as I don't think that he can make it with one...suggestions?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 21:55:07 pm »
How old is he now...?
~Marta

Offline jnduff

• Love being a mama
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 10:43:27 am »
He turned 1 on February 7.  I really am thinking he wants to transition to one nap a day but unsure if he can make it all day with one nap. He also goes to daycare during the week which my provider will do what I wish but I know she thinks its too early for one nap a day...hoping he will be closer to 18 months.  However, I have realized that if he gets too much during the day he won't sleep good at night.