Author Topic: 3.5 and we need help  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Mattsmummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 37
« on: January 20, 2015, 13:46:21 pm »
Okay, so M is 3.5.

He is at nursery 5 days a week and they have a rest period from about 1-3 every day. Most days M will take a nap, anywhere
from 30-1hour. Bedtime is usually 8 on a nap day and 7 on a no nap day.

The problem is he is waking up SO early. Usually anywhere between 5-530.  I've been doing my best to keep him in his room, not letting him "get up" but even though he's quiet, he's still awake and his behavior is showing signs of that.

I'm not sure a gro-clock would help as it's not a huge deal to keep him in his room until 6ish, but I need him to actually sleep. I know he's OT and is dropping the nap, but I'm just at a loss.

He needs a nap b/c he is waking SO early and by the time I get him into bed, he's shattered already. Plus the nap pushes bt out and we're into a vicious cycle...

I remember this happening in the 2-1 and it was a nightmare then too. Thoughts???
"But the fighter still remains"

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
Re: 3.5 and we need help
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 13:52:39 pm »
We had a similar issue as here in preschool they have rest time till 5 yo :o
What worked for us was fully dropping the nap. It was not easy till there was preschool though, but we did it during summer holiday (2 months) over which we allowed him to fully drop the nap (he was 3.5 yo as well). When he went back to preschool, he was not in the habit to take a nap anymore, plus I told him to rest but not to actually sleep, and usually he stayed awake for the entire rest time. This also had an impact on the night (resting for 1.5 h was still too much even if he did not sleep) but it was not anything that we could not deal with.
Bottom line, I think that the way forward is just dropping the nap, dealing with the first OT days, and consistent bt.
Barbara

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 15:16:16 pm »
I would love to forge ahead with no nap but they are required to have a rest period and if he falls asleep, then they let him sleep. I've told them not to let him sleep past an hour but he still will sleep.
Gah....

Offline barbaraz78

• Showing Appreciation 68
  • In the fall...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 15:44:28 pm »
I know, it was the same for us and it was a PITA! Are there holidays that you can look for (or you can take him in the pm for a couple of weeks) and let him drop the nap? Then, once he starts to sleep longer in the night, he will sleep less in the rest time.
Barbara

Offline michaeljacknnugg

• Showing Appreciation 214
  • New life
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 15:54:53 pm »
I was going to say drop the nap as well, sorry! It's reasonable to expect him to only need 11hrs in total during a 24 hr period at this age. With no nap you could get him to bed earlier and then gradually push it out to make his WU later, but I'm not sure what you can do if the nap stays.

How long will he be required to participate in the rest period? Can you have a word with the nursery? I'd expect him to be allowed to potter quietly if he's not sleeping, after all you are paying them for the entire time he is there.
My 'little man' - kind-hearted Spirited whirlwind, 2008
My love, my everything - BabyTwo, Nov 2015

Offline Mattsmummy

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 18:49:10 pm »
I'm really thinking about talking to the nursery. This is getting ridiculous. They tell me that he is in much better sprits after even a short nap so I know they will push to keep it but I have to get him used to no nap b/c he starts full day kindergarten in September. I might have to look at taking some time and doing it this spring I guess.  Just wish I could get him to sleep at least until 6am...  :-\