Author Topic: Struggling with new teats... Should I swap back to 1s?  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Spandanna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Struggling with new teats... Should I swap back to 1s?
« on: January 29, 2015, 20:22:49 pm »

So At 12 weeks old I decided to swap DS' teats (tommee tippee) to no2s because on 1s he was taking longer and longer to get through his feeds but now I feel like he's struggling with no2s. It has been 4 days and I thought he would adapt and get used to them but still with most feeds (but not all) he goes for it but then after a few sucks pulls off, dribbles or spits milk, or chokes and cries on it then I try again and this will happen a few times then he brings up loads of wind after only am oz or so but then continues struggling his way through. The reason we moved to bottles was because he was on and off the breast throughout feeds and did better on bottles but am wondering if it's the new teats, whether I should change back to no1 or give him a chance to adapt to these. Or is this a different issue altogether?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
Re: Struggling with new teats... Should I swap back to 1s?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 20:29:08 pm »
Switch back and see if it helps. I did with my DS recently, and now he is messing on the number 1 again  ::). But the wind was worse on the number 2.

My DS has reflux though. Any of your previous children suffered??

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 20:42:01 pm »
Well actually yes, my DD did have reflux but DS doesn't really bring back up any sick, well the odd posset occasionally. I thought in he early days he may have silent reflux as he used to do a lot of gulping and crying, hiccups a lot. But then as time went on this subsided and I thought he probably doesn't have it... I read th info on the reflux board here but not sure he has it to be honest... Especially comparing to DD who had it quite badly.

Do you have any experience of vari flow?  Was concerned about changing back as don't know if I'm just messing him about? I should also mention we are still in the process of weaning off bf  so lots of changes

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 21:14:50 pm »
I would try the vari-flows, the TT ones are really good.

Has he been checked for tongue tie?

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 21:18:48 pm »
No personal experience with variflow sorry. I can see that it might be helpful, especially with the BF weaning.

Not all refluxers are sick of course, many have silent reflux, although in my experience you can still hear them gulping and swallowing if you know what to listen for. I just wondered as reflux is a well known cause of finding feeding difficult.

I guess the other thing to think about is if the bottles are OK  :-\. Or whether the gulping and spilling is due to him taking in too much air whilst feeding? My DS does this sometimes, but again you can often hear him gulp the air and you know the fussing and spilling is about to come.

I think 4 days is enough time to have adapted to new flow really.

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 03:25:55 am »
Thanks ladies. I will try some vari flow teats tomorrow. That said I've just got up in the night to feed him (bf) and it has been a complete nightmare. Same issues as on the bottle. Very fast breathing and snuffling. Pulling off and trying to get back on. All a bit frantic. Bringing up lots of wind. Perhaps it could be silent reflux or just feeding greedily and gulping down too much air?!

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 04:01:22 am »
Fast breathing and snuffling days reflux too, hey?!

How is his sleep?

Hope he likes the variflow  :-*.

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:01:33 am »
His sleep is a bit erratic but generally he does one long stretch from a 6.30pm feed until anywhere from 1-3.30am but sometimes that is with wake ups where I give him the dummy to stretch out the next feed a extra hour or so. Thereafter he is often very windy as he I
Always falls fast asleep at the night feed and u spend half an hour winding him and often get nothing

So anyway, I decided to go back to no 1 teats and although it takes longer he is getting on with them much better. No more fussing and pulling off and dribbling the milk everywhere. I guess it won't be too long before I try the twos again but these are fine for now.

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:39:38 am »
Great. I am thinking of trying again this week actually, but my DS is exclusively FF so only has one thing to try iyswim?

I still think a degree of reflux sounds likely (although you are def the best judge as to whether that needs treating/ pursuing or not  :-*). It's perfectly acceptable to manage mild reflux by waiting for them to out grow and just feeding little and often, elevating the cot etc.

Offline Spandanna

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 13:02:38 pm »
How many weeks is your DS? Not sure when to try them again but for now will stick with no1s.

Yes you're probably right about the reflux but I think it's pretty mild. I spoke to my GP on Friday as we had our postnatal check up (very late!!!) and she agreed possible refux but we decided to just see how it goes as he's generally pretty content an it doesn't seem to bother him too much. xx

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 13:06:33 pm »
DS is 9.5 weeks and after this morning NOT ready for size 2 yet.

I think he will do it at the next GS when he gets super hungry again.