Author Topic: What is he up to....  (Read 1935 times)

Offline *Liz*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
What is he up to....
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:26:29 am »
Thomas often sucks his teat in a fast and shallow way. Nothing comes out. It is almost like a baby sucking to stimulate a let down on the breast  ::). Sometimes he will stop and start to suck properly.... Others it takes a lot of taking him off and putting him on to get him to feed. He obviously gets sleepy doing it, but he is always crying for a feed when I give it (busy house....  ::)).

He is on size 1 teats, but I have tried a 2 and he is still capable of doing the same  ???. It happens less, but I think he puts his tongue over the end??? I have to be pretty careful with a size 2 teat that he doesn't take too much wind (although TBH he is windy on both... Just that the size 2 seems to give bigger bubbles that are harder to get him to give to me  ;)).

I am using MAM stuff.

Just seems really odd  ???.

Could the feeds need spacing?? But he IS so small and asking for them.... He takes 2-4oz every 3 hrs.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: What is he up to....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 14:26:47 pm »
Could it be a suck co-ordination thing when he is really hungry and a bit desperate for food? 3 hourly is right at this age, but if he's only taking the lower amount I wouldn't expect him to last 3 hours really - I know reflux is an issue for you. Are the MAM bottles antic colic ones? I've not used those, so if not could it be worth swapping to an anti-colic bottle like Dr Browns or the Tommee Tippee ones?

Are you using a dummy? When mine were messing about and a bit frantic I would stick the dummy in and let them suck for a short while then do a swift swap and get the bottle in. I used to have my little finger through the dummy loop and the bottle in the same hand poised and ready to go!

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 20:43:23 pm »
The funny thing is that he was crying for the feed, but once he starts this silly sucking/ not eating thing he is perfectly calm. Doesn't seem that bothered that he isn't filling his apparently starving tummy  :-\.

You are right - if he took 2oz he wouldn't last 3hrs - it would be more like 2 unless he was completely fast asleep.

It does seem as though 3.5oz is his physical STOP point. I assume due to reflux  ???.

I do use a dummy, but I certainly haven't convinced him to love it  ::) ::). He mainly takes it if he is OT, or gulping/ gasping a lot with reflux.

MAM are anticolic, I have been trying Dr browns today but he doesn't latch the teat as well yet.

Reflux on bottles is a whole different ball game. All that extra wind  :o.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 21:35:16 pm »
Reflux on bottles is a whole different ball game. All that extra wind  :o.

Tell me about it! DS especially was a nightmare!

Have you tried infacol or dentinox? It did help us a bit in the early days.

Are you stopping to burp during the feed?  It's supposed to help but we found that it was better to let them stop when they were ready, if I stopped them to burp the refused any more ::) ::)

Has he been checked for tongue tie? DD can move her tied tongue into some really odd positions.

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 20:14:16 pm »
I will ask about tongue tie - if it is it is not severe - but I don't know how to check properly iyswim? He does poke his tongue out but not very far (might be age etc mind you...)

Tried infacol, but little difference. I might try again though.

It's pretty obvious when he has a ton of wind, so I stop and burp then, but if he is good I let him continue. It is variable whether he will feed again after.

He is draining 4oz bottles the last 2 days (not every, but most feeds). I fear increasing to 5oz though  :o :o. We all know what will happen. Might use some carobel to thicken the first few but he gets constipated very easily so need to take care.

Offline Lolly

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 21:49:10 pm »
There are loads of pictures around of tongue ties if you google. My 2 (and me ::)) have a very noticeable connective strip under our tongues and when we stick them out they are very fat and have dip in the centre which makes the tongue heart shaped. DD has more mobility and sort of flip her tongue upside down but her tie is already pulling her new adult bottom teeth into a V shape. Neither had trouble bottle feeding although I really think it played a part in the wind and reflux issues.

Good luck with the bigger bottles - it may not be as bad as you fear!

Laura

Offline *Liz*

• Living beyond
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 22:08:26 pm »
Will have a look at some pictures, I ought to know anyway  :-[ ::) :P.

Stuck to 4oz today again  ::). I'm building up to it  ;).