Author Topic: Stopping night time feeding for 1 year old  (Read 1290 times)

Offline marie11

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Stopping night time feeding for 1 year old
« on: January 21, 2015, 13:13:12 pm »
Hi there. I have made the decision that I am going to stop giving my 1 year old a bottle through the night.  She wakes once a night and I automatically give her a bottle. She goes very drowsy and is back sleeping straight away. I am left awake! If anyone has gone through this I would love to hear what worked best for you. I am returning to work in a couple of weeks so would love to get this sorted by then!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Stopping night time feeding for 1 year old
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 20:38:16 pm »
I did the same when DD was 9 or 10 months, at first I tried smaller amounts but then just went cold turkey. She has a soother though, does your lo have any sort of lovey or a soother?
Heidi

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 20:52:40 pm »
I would suggest a gradual wean, it will be done in the 2 weeks you have. Prob more like 1 week.
My DS was younger but we had a night feed at the DF time (as he had always woken for it). Take 2 bottles up, 1 of milk with 1oz less in, the other is the back up bottle with just water in.  Some simple 'rules' I set myself as a guide:
- reduce by 1 oz every 2-3 days
- do not offer the water bottle unless milk is drained AND LO is fussing for more
- if milk is not drained take note of how much was taken, this is the max you offer the following night
- at each 'new' amount of milk (either because the night before the bottle was not drained or because it is day 3 and time to reduce by 1oz) plan to hold at this amount for 2-3 days, but see previous point, if milk is not drained this becomes the new max amount offered.
- allow for milk or solids intake to be increased at some point in the day, it may be WU milk of breakfast but it may also be elsewhere in the day, let LO pick up the lost calories where needed.
- after 2-3 days of 1oz milk, LO may choose not to wake. If she does you may be able to re-settle without bottle, if she fusses offer water only.

I am pretty confident you will see results quickly and it will be a lot easier than you think as it's a slow gentle wean.

Offline marie11

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:17:46 am »
Thanks for the replys. I have been doing the gentle wean for one week so far. Tonight I go to the weakest mix for three nights before it's just water. She is still waking once a night but hasn't protested at weaker formula mix :) she really doesn't eat much at all. I keep offering her food and keep it relaxed. She's happy and growing!

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:33:31 am »
Sounds like it's going well :)
You may need to shush/pat to re-settle once you are down to water only to stop the habitual NW.

Offline marie11

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 09:58:50 am »
Thank you ....that was going to be my next question...what to do when down to water? It's night two of water tonight. Thought would give it another two or three nights then try with no bottle at all.

Offline creations

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 12:55:01 pm »
Well I didn't water down milk to wean, I cut the number of oz of milk so he was taking less each night, down to nothing...so it's slightly different.
I'd say now you are down to water only try:
- cut cold turkey, if you are worried have an oz of water available for a quick sip but otherwise shush/pat to sooth back to sleep
- or wean the water by reducing the amount you offer (if it's a large amount now)
- either way you can try a W2S 30 min or so before the habitual NW, this may move or stop the NWs

let us know how you go :)