Author Topic: 11 week old napping issues!  (Read 907 times)

Offline GillNW

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 21, 2015, 22:54:18 pm »
Hello,

We've just started trying to follow the EASY routine with our 11 week old.  She had severe reflux issues from 3 weeks up until last week.  This meant she couldn't lie down on her back for longer than about 15 mins and so we spent all of our time holding her upright- even right through the night in shifts.  Her reflux now seems well under cntrol and she has suddenly started sleeping 7-9 hours per night for the past week.  Seeing her so muc more settled and comfortable were keen to get some structure in our days.  But, she really seems to hate napping.  After food and some activity she goes down beautifully in her bed awake an gets herself to sleep but then after she wakes herself up really fussing.  This morning she napped a total of one hour but only after waking herself up several times.  After 20 mins I had to resettle her because she was frantic, then after another 20 minutes she resettled herself but slept very fifully, waking, fussing and going back to sleep again for another 20 minutes until it seemed clear that nap time was over for her.  We were out this afternoon so she slep 2x30 mins in her pram.  After her bath she hasn't settled at all.  I put her down awake, she goes to sleep for literaaly a few mins and then is awake distressed again.  If tonight folows the past few, this will continue until 1 or 2am when sh will put herself to sleep until 8 or 9am.  Any tips on how I can encourage her to lengthen naps?  Or get her to settle in the evening?  Thanks!

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: 11 week old napping issues!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 14:10:43 pm »
Could you post a little more about her routine, how long she is awake for between sleeps etc?

Is she medicated for reflux?  I may be a sceptic ;) but just from experience, LOs who have severe reflux problems tend not to suddenly improve to the point of being completely symptom-free, and it may be that the super-short naps and unsettledness could indicate ongoing discomfort, even if greatly improved from previously.  If she is on meds, has she had a dose increase in line with recent weight gains?