Author Topic: NW and EW in 10 month old  (Read 1309 times)

Offline JBWmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I am a first time mom
NW and EW in 10 month old
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:53:12 am »
Hello, I am a first time poster, so sorry if I don't do it quite right. I have a 10 month old boy. He was a good sleeper up til 8.5 months of age. He started sleeping through the night at about 3.5 months old (essentially- go down around 7-8, then one brief waking at 5 that just needed pacifier replacement, then back down til 7 or 8). Now he has 2-3 wakings a night. Some are quickies, like before (he won't even be fully awake), but every couple of nights we will have a crying period. We don't run in right away, and he will occasionally settle by himself, but often if we don't go in, he will progress to from sleepy cries to fully awake and crying. He has been teething, but Tylenol doesn't seem to make a difference. Since the timing of the wakings are erratic, I thought hunger, but if given a bottle he might take 2-3 oz only. he will usually go back down with patting, some PU/PD after 30-60 minutes. he has started crawling during this time, but hitting the milestone did not improve anything. He has also started waking up very early, 5-6 in the morning. He will seem bright eyed and bushytailed. Sometimes we are able to get him back down, but not always. then he is thrown off his normal routine, and will be grumpy. We are sure missing our sleep these days, so any suggestions are welcome!

Here is a summary of his normal routine (on good days):
wake up between 7 and 7:30.
breakfast and activity til 9:30 or 10am (he generally only lasts about 2 hours before getting tired in the mornings)
90 min nap on average. can go longer sometimes.
lunch around 11:30 or 12
activity til second nap at 1 or 1:30pm, will be 1 hour to 90 min, depending on how long the early nap was.
Snack at 3:30ish
Activity time til dinner at 6:30pm
7pm bath, then reading, then bedtime by 7:30pm.

his BT go down is generally very smooth. Morning nap is usually easy, too, but afternoon nap can be rougher (not upset, but lots of rolling, trying to get up, being active). The time of the first overnight wake up varies. Can be as early as 10:30, 11pm, or late as 2 or 3.

Josh has only been a bottle fed baby (since my milk never came in). He was 1 month early, and underweight, so we did have a tough first few weeks, but he has been a healthy, thriving baby. I would say he is Angel baby, overall. sorry this is such a long post. thanks for reading!
Lisi
Lisi

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: NW and EW in 10 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:38:27 am »
His A times are pretty low for a 10 mo. Most are doing around 4 hours or more. Stretching them to a more age appropriate time would most likely solve your NWs and Ews issue.

Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

Offline JBWmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I am a first time mom
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 16:10:37 pm »
Thanks for the reply! Do you mean 4 hours at a stretch? I will try keeping him up, but he is generally eye rubbing and looking tired when I am putting him down, so I do worry about him getting over tired. But we'll give it a shot!
thanks,
Lisi
Lisi

Offline JBWmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I am a first time mom
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 18:45:58 pm »
I stretched the activity times a bit yesterday (thinking to increase in increments), and he went through the night for the first time in 2 months! He still woke up pretty early, but one step at a time! Hopefully as I keep increasing them, he'll sleep just a bit later. Thanks for the suggestion.
Lisi
Lisi

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 02:43:24 am »
Yay! Happy for you

Offline Eva2014

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 16:18:49 pm »
Hi ladies, Im literally going through the same thing with my 10 month old! she's doing 4 hour A times in the day and still waking at night! previously she was sleeping through the night (from about 6 weeks)

I don't know if she's having too much sleep in the day? Usually has between 3-4 hours in the day.

Thanks

Offline JBWmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I am a first time mom
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 18:52:58 pm »
My guy usually gets about 3 hours of napping per day. We still don't have our night wakings kicked. After a couple great nights, he went back to brief wakings 1-3 times per night. At least the longer episodes of crying have stopped, but he still needs his pacifer replaced sometimes. So I am still stumped as to what to do. I am hoping it is the age and he will settle back into sleeping through the night again. I wish I had some good advice, but I am a first time mom just trying to figure it out myself! If you find the magic trick, I'd love to hear it!
Lisi

Offline Eva2014

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 21:35:17 pm »
Thanks - I'm a first time mum too. Isn't it such a huge learning experience! I haven't stopped saying that since i had my little girl lol. She was better last night. BT was at 8:45pm and wake up at 6:30am with only 1 NW! i was up though checking the monitor every few hours lol xx

Offline JBWmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I am a first time mom
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 18:40:19 pm »
Hope it keeps getting better! Everything is a stage, right? We had a good night last night, too! Only 2 wakings, but he soothed himself back to sleep very quickly. I still wake up, of course, but at least not getting up allows me to go back to sleep more easily. My husband and I have been talking about not going in as quickly (we always wait a bit, but want to try extending that more). Maybe we aren't giving him enough time to get himself back to sleep. I definitely don't want to try a cry it out sort of thing, but I really want him to be able to self soothe without our help or us replacing the pacifier. These babies really need to come with a better instruction manual!  ;)
Lisi