Author Topic: Wake to sleep  (Read 1145 times)

Offline einstein

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 22, 2015, 09:59:08 am »
Hi All,

I have just joined this site...I try to follow Tracy's advice...however I have a 19 month old habitual early riser 5-5.30 AM he has been waking at this time from about 7months...now I am just finding it too hard and would really like him to sleep until 6-6.30:).  He has a good bed time routine wind down etc..his bed time is 7pm..The past 2 nights I have gone in to rouse him at 4a.m...I change his nappy and gently rouse him..he doesn't fully wake..but he has been finding it difficult to get back to sleep and has a restless hour or so...I have made the mistake of taking him into the bed with me at 5.30 and he slept until 6.30 the first morning and didn't go back to sleep at all this a.m....I know I shouldn't have done this...but I was soft and felt sorry (& guilty! ) for him ...I am not sure what to do tonight at this will be the 3rd night...maybe I should wake him a bit earlier (15mins) so he is less roused...I am not sure...I would LOVE some advice from anyone who had this problem...please let me know how it worked for you!!

TIA.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Wake to sleep
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 14:12:11 pm »
Could you post his full routine with nap times/length?  Is he normally an independent sleeper?

Offline einstein

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 11:08:03 am »
Thanks for reply...I wouldn't say he is an independent sleeper if he wakes up he usually needs dummy put back in or medicine if he is teething etc.  He has never really settled himself back to sleep. Here is his routine;
5.30 Awake (Take him into bed for 30 minutes or so sometimes he may go back to sleep for 30 mins)
6.00 Breakfast
9.30 Snack
11.30 Lunch
12.00 Nap (Usually 1.5 - 2 hrs)
14.00 Snack
17.30 Dinner
18.00 Bath
18.30 Story
19.00 Bed (Usually asleep by 19.15)

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: Wake to sleep
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 13:17:58 pm »
By independent sleeper I guess I meant does he settle himself to sleep at nap and bedtime?

Are you saying you replug his dummy for him ??? He seems a little old for that...I'm assuming he can put it in himself normally?  Sorry if I misunderstood :)

I would definitely stop bringing him to bed with you.  I know it's hard at that time in the morning (my DS isn't a great night sleeper either) but at 19 months that will very easily become waking to play with Mummy, even if routine is otherwise ok.  He's on the young side but you may be getting towards the age where introducing a gro clock or similar could be possible.  Had you considered that?

With a short night I would guess overtiredness may be perpetuating your early starts.  Would you consider trying an early bed time for a few days, 6/6.30pm to make a max 13h day?