Author Topic: 2.5yo sleep regression? Nightmares?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: January 24, 2015, 14:17:01 pm »
We have had an awful 2 nights with DD, I'll try keep it short but as informative as possible as I've no idea what's going on and could do with outside opinions.

1st night, BT - 6.30, woke 9.30 until 2.30. Only fell asleep because gave up and put her in my bed and transferred her for all our sakes. Small wake 6, and woke for day at 8.30. During the 5hr NW - it started with an imaginary train, then she was talking about a basket with different animals in that was in her cot. She was happy during her most of he nw, until she got very tired at end and we gave up and put in our bed because she wouldn't relax in her cot at all. She was then transferred ok.

2nd night, Bt 6.15, woke 1.30 until 4 and woke at 6 for the day.
During her night waking she woke crying about an imaginary train, then said there was a crocodile in a basket in her cot, Everytime she was put back into her cot she cried to the point we had to get her out before she was sick. We tried telling her isn't wasn't real, going with her imagination and taking them out of her room and telling them to stay out etc. None of this worked though and she wouldn't go back into cot, once again she ended up in our bed, fell asleep, transferred her but as she was put down she sat straight up crying about the crocodile in the basket.  It took a few more attempts of her falling asleep on the OH and placing down until she slept for the 2 hrs in her cot.

We don't normally let her sleep in our bed, have only let her fall a sleep a handful of times in her life.
We went CT on nap 3-4 months ago, she also seems to have a cold developing which I don't know if that's contributing to all this.

Any ideas what to do? I can see tonight being a repeat and she's getting more scared of her cot Everytime, we are all exhausted!

TIA

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 18:23:38 pm »
We got her in pjs for bed and she's been inconsolable since "crocodile in basket" is all she's repeating and she's not even in room/cot. Took her upstairs, shot them, threw them out but she's adiment it's in cot, I tried to convince her it's a nice croc but she said its naughty. Run out of ideas, she's so scared and exhausted love her.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: 2.5yo sleep regression? Nightmares?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 19:19:06 pm »
Hey hun, all I know is that we're having similar sleep problems, we also had them with Z at this age. Pretty sure it's developmental, mixed with molars and some SA.

Re the croc fear I don't think there is much you can do but reassure, and keep thinking of ways so help her feel safe. Have you tried a nightlight, or special toy to keep her safe in the cot that glows, or lights. My first always responded well to reassurance and a lot of pretending on my part ie I talked to the scary thing and he's moved out etc.

***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 21:40:49 pm »
Thanks for the reply, it's nice to know we arnt alone.
She's had all her teeth for months so I know that's not playing a part, I think she had a nightmare and now her brains in overdrive, mixed in with little sleep and a bad cold.
She's got a special bunny she takes to bed, I tried to give her another cuddly and told her he would keep her safe but she didn't buy it. I Think I've thought of every imaginative way to kill/get rid of this croc but she still says he's there. It did cross my mind that it was an excuse not to sleep but she's crying her heart out and shaking etc like she petrified. we ended up letting her fall asleep downstairs because just the thought of bed was making her so upset. I'm dreading her waking though, there's no consoling her for hours on end. I'm sure tonight will be just as bad, if not worse than the others. Poor mite was getting a good 12.5-13.5hr seep a night. Last few night have been 8-9hrs broken up. This crocodile has a lot to answer for! ;-)

Offline nevinsmama

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 02:12:09 am »
DS did something similar to this right around this age WRT fish from the deep that we had read about in a book. He would just get hysterical and I am sure he was dreaming visions of a Gulper Eel or something! What sorted it out was I found a stuffed seal and "Sealy" went all around the room each night and ate all the fish, very thoroughly and then went in to his crib, not to sleep but to keep Nevin safe from Deep Sea Creatures. We did this for several nights. I may have slept in the big bed in his room as well just to save trips up and down the stairs! Hang in there, this passed and I am sure your LO will recover as well! Massive ((((hugs!)))) it is so hard to see them so worked up!

Maryn

[/url]

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 01:40:39 am »
Thanks nevinsmama, that's a lovely idea. We tired everything I can think of. For some reason saying that he was only there for daddy's birthday and has now gone to her cousins has helped. She still mentions it but we stick to the same story and ask her to tell us where he is if she starts getting upset. We thought as she was feeling a little more safe then she would start Self settling again but it's still hell. She will not put herself to sleep in the cot and if falls asleep somewhere else she wakes as soon as she's laid down. She's up 2-5 hours every night, crying to read books or go in bed with me and watch tv. We have drawn the line on my bedroom but have tried books in he room in desperation to get her asleep. However she swings legs, shakes head etc to stop herself. On a miricle of her falling asleep she's back awake crying for more books as soon as her head touches the pillow. She has got a cold so I'm reluctant to sleep train if she's all bunged up and coughing she will end up being sick. I'm I right i thinking that only sleep training will get us out of this? I know she defiantly does not want to sleep but I don't know how much is still to do with this crocodile, he is the first thing she mentions when we get ready for bed or bedtme is mentioned. Realy unsure how best to go about this? I don't want to force her in cot and her cry if she is scared but I'm not 100% that it's the sole reason anymore and is reading books etc is now a lot more interesting than sleeping so she thinks we can do that all night. WWUD?
Just incase it matters She's never been a fully IS, we settled for her going to sleep with someone in room after a long 2 months of GW when 1. However it's not effected her sleeping through the night and she only use to call occasionally so we were happy with that.
Apologies for spelling and grammar its 1.40 here and not been to sleep yet, it doesn't look like any time soon either :-(

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 07:36:35 am »
Last night she had 9 hrs sleep, she no longer naps and had been screaming for the last half hour non stop (it's 7.30)
She's always been a bad sleeper, but the last few months we been getting 12-13 hr nights, I think this is pay back for the good sleep.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 10:18:03 am »
What was she doing before al this rubbish? We have kind of gone back to some normality but T nap is a bit shorter. I also medicate before sleep if I suspect his molars are causing pain and since I've been doing that he is sleeping and settling much better.

IIWM I'd be doing what ever you can to get a nap today, she's def in OT town :-\
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 10:57:48 am »
Hi zacsmumme, We have been medicating incase something is bothering her (she has all teeth) but it doesn't make a difference.
The last 3 months her routine has been -
WU 7
BT 6.30
Usually no NW but occasionally one short one if thirsty or tangled in blanket for example.
We had to go CT on naps because she was having a capped nap and BT would be 3 hours of shinanigans. Any nap even 10mins would result in 14-15 hour days. So even though she's so OT and is becoming a mess I'm reluctant to let her nap because it might make things worse.

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 11:51:01 am »
I came to ask advise for my 2.5 yr old but see I'm not alone!  :o  We dropped her nap back late summer and everything has been going great. About a week for I had baby #2 (which is right when she hit 2.5 yr old) her behavior became terrible!!! And she started having NW and EW. We assumed that it was new baby transition, potty training regression too. It's been a couple months now and she's still NW, several times a night. We tried a nap again, even with a short one, she was up in her bed until at least 10:30, not sure how much later bc I fell asleep then.  I got her up at 7:30, I tried to APOP a nap that would be earlier so I could wake her before 2pm, rocked her 20 minutes until it was time to feed the baby. I laid her in her bed and told her to just lay there. I walked out to get baby then brought him back in, she said "I'm tired" and fell asleep! For 5 minutes! After that she was super grumpy. We went to do errands and I expected her to fall asleep in the car but she didn't! I put her to bed at 7, she woke at 8:30, 9:30, & 10:30, not sure if she had any other NW that DH took care of. But she will wake up just crying and crying, saying weird things. She's confused. It's crazy!

I guess we're just going to get her to take naps for a little while and deal with her being up late because that's better than waking 3-4 times in the middle of the night.

Any ideas on how long this will go on? I'd actually like to get back to no naps I've gotten really comfortable with the 7:30 BTs :)
-Laura

Offline haribo89

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 14:44:24 pm »
Hi there scoutsmomma,
Sounds like we are in simalar situations. How long is your LO awake during NW? and how do you get her back off?
It must be very hard with a new arrival too! Hugs

Offline MommaStorms

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 20:36:11 pm »
Well, it's been going on for the past couple months so NW have been different. She's had some that will last hours of her just talking to herself in her bed and others where she's crying to the point we can't understand her. She'll say things that don't make sense. We'll just hug her to calm her down and tell her to laid down and go back to sleep. If she doesn't I'll tell her something like "I have to go to the bathroom I'll be right back" and she just falls asleep waiting for me  ::) she is tired enough that she falls right back to sleep. It's just a crazy sleep disturbance. Nightmare?
-Laura