Author Topic: early morning wakings....8,5 months old  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
Re: early morning wakings....8,5 months old
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2015, 07:06:00 am »
Crying is inevitable with any sleep trainings, so yes... Crying is a part of that. But remember that crying doesn't mean that she suffers. It's a way she is communicating with you saying "I don't like it", "it's not the way I am used to" etc. The most important thing is to stay with her when she cries.

I am not quite sure what you mean by her sleeping in your arms... Did you put her up during the process and than put down and she has fallen asleep in one of those cycles or did you stop PUPD and just take her on to your arms?
At this age there is rather no put up in this method. So kiddos pull up to standing, you put them down and that's all. If she lies down but continue crying, you can sit next to her crib and just say some sleep phrase or you can have your hand on her (with then you will gradually withdraw) or anything else what makes her know that you are not abandoning her but just teaching her how to go back to sleep without mummy's hand.

Does it make sense?

I am sure it can be very hard to hear her crying but if you finally let her sleep in her arms it may send a message to her that if she cries loudly and long enough she will get what she wants. So if you are so strong and decide for PUPD and already survive such a long crying, try to stick to it till the end. It should help with a next night. As every single time she will demand less attention.
~Marta

Offline angelinagr

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2015, 11:28:47 am »
During the process put down she has fallen asleep in one of those cycles not actually in my arms. She didn't manage to sleep the morning. She actually didn't have the morning nap. We went for a walk now and she fell asleep in the stroller... I decided to move her from the stroller and put her in her crib. The moment I placed her in the crib, she waked up....
So when she cries laying down, I don't use PU/PD just talk to her.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2015, 16:15:42 pm »
Yes:) as in the link Katie posted is stated:

Quote (selected)
8 MONTHS TO A YEAR - At this age you really don’t do any pick up as babies 8 months and up tend to soothe faster in the crib. 

•   You wait for them to stand up or pull up and then you place them back down so they are looking away from you and not at your face.
•   If you feel they are truly frantic and need more you can pick them up for a moment but you put them straight back down. 
•   At this age it’s important to use your voice even more.  Your baby will start to recognize what you are saying, eg. “I’m not  leaving you, you’re not alone, it’s nap time” etc. 
•   At this age you may need to pair pu/pd with gradual leaving of the room.  First you stay in the room until asleep, then move a few feet from the crib, in a few days you move to the door, then out the door. 
~Marta

Offline angelinagr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 15:11:44 pm »
Yesterday she didn't sleep early in the morning. After her lunch and after 50minutes crying she managed to fall asleep. During the afternoon we had an accident and we had to wake up her every 1,5 hour and she slept beside me. Today she slept in the morning after 30 minutes crying for 1 hour. Although after her lunch she didn't sleep. She was crying for 1,5 hour. I stopped trying. It was almost 5 pm and it was almost time to give her yogurt.What should I do? I think that by this way she may lost her naps.

Offline angelinagr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 16:05:01 pm »
We have made progress. For 2 nights in the row she didn't wake up. Although yesterday she woke up at 2.30am and she stayed awake for 2.5 hours....I don't know what else to do.

Offline angelinagr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2015, 13:49:14 pm »
She has stopped crying when I put her in her bed, but it takes her about 30-40minutes to fall asleep. Sometimes it takes her 1.5 hour to fall asleep and it is time for her meal. By this way she is loosing her morning nap. I am afraid that she is not sleeping enough

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2015, 15:03:36 pm »
Sleep training usually bring some OT into your day and it's inevitable. But let's hope that she will get the message quickly. It's better to go with it now when she still has two naps than when she will be on one nap.

Are you persistent with the same settling method for naps, resettling and NWs?
~Marta

Offline angelinagr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2015, 18:55:34 pm »
Of course I am doing exactly the same things for naps, resettling and NWs. Now she is having 1 nap only for 45minutes. She is almost 10 months and I think that she is not sleeping enough. We are now the 6th day of training (last Wednesday we started)

OT stands for?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2015, 19:14:39 pm »
OT stands for over tiredness.

I am quite sure she is OT and probably your yesterday night wakings is because of OT.
Can you post your routine honey so we make sure there are no tweaks needed? 1.5h to settle for a nap without crying is a lot and seems a bit undertired to me.
~Marta

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2015, 20:20:57 pm »
Hang in there, hon... it does sound like she's gotten OT.  Let's take a look at your routine, like Marta suggested and see what we can do.  I'm always a fan of working hard for one nap and doing a quick catch-up in the stroller or car if needed to help prevent OT at bedtime. (((Hugs)))

Offline angelinagr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2015, 05:41:30 am »
6.30-7.00 am she wakes up - bottle
9.30am first yawn so I put her in her bed. 3 days now she didn't manage to fall asleep. we tried for 1 hour. Before starting PU/PD she used to sleep for 40 minutes
10.45 fruits
1.30-2.00 pm lunch
2.30 pm I put her in her bed and we try for 30-40 minutes. When she finally falls asleep, she sleeps for 45 minutes. Before she was sleeping for 1.5-2 hours
5.30 meal
8.00pm bottle-bath-bedtime

she must be very tired to fall asleep in the stroller or the car....
 I am waiting for your responses
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 05:47:38 am by angelinagr »

Offline katie80

• Showing Appreciation 220
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2015, 06:04:11 am »
And she's how old, 9.5-10mo?

Even though she's overall OT, I think the first A time is not long enough for her to get herself to sleep. It's only 2.5-3hr, whereas the average for her age is 3.5-4. I would push the morning nap later, so you're putting her down at 10, rather than 9:30.

If she doesn't sleep in the morning, then it's best to try for another nap sooner than you normally would to prevent the short, OT nap that's happening. I'd try again after an hr or so, at 11:30/12. If I remember right, you might be restricted on timings though, is that right?

Finally, with such little daytime sleep, it would be best to bring bedtime earlier again to try to prevent her going to sleep too OT. I'd try for no more than a 12hr day, but if that isn't possible, just put her down as early as you can.

More (((hugs)))... hope that helps.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2015, 06:22:29 am »
Totally agree with Katie. What I recall, with some AP they always go to sleep easier for naps. I remember when F was 3mo and I ditched a soother, his catnap disappeared! And I couldn't get it, but it's just how it works with slightly undertired naps.

So I agree with Katie to push first A. What I would try is maybe firstly 3h or 3.5h as many kiddos like shorter A in the mornings. And if you don't succeed I I go as Katie stated for another nap at 11:30 or so. So just after fruits.
~Marta

Offline angelinagr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2015, 07:57:50 am »
On 6th March she will become 10months. I 'll try everything you tell me.... I am disappointed as I understand tat she is not sleeping enough, although our nights are fantastic!!! Only 2 times she wakes. I usually find her standing up and I just lay her down and she falls asleep.

For how long should I try?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 10:14:36 am by angelinagr »

Offline angelinagr

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2015, 11:24:17 am »
I follow your advice and today she slept after fruits at 12 o'clock. I haven't wake up her yet. I am thinking to let her sleep... I am afraid to wake up her as I am sure that she will not sleep any more during the day. I thought that if I wake up her after 45 minutes, she will not fall asleep later.

I have also started giving her cereals at 8.30am. Although she doesn't eat them every day.

Is it time for the transition from2 naps to 1 nap?

Tomorrow I will try to put her in bed at 10.00am and no at 9.30am. For how long should I try?

Since she was born, she didn't sleep a lot. Εven in the first days she was born in the hospital (in my country we labor in hospitals and we stay in the hospital for 4-5 days), she didn't sleep many hours.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 11:43:28 am by angelinagr »