Author Topic: Help needed! Which sleep method to use for my 15month old spirited/textbook girl  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Snugglenush

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
FYI - I did the know your toddler test and she came out as pretty evenly split between textbook and spirited.

I've had some very bad habits (I'm a busy working mum of 2 and did what gave me the quickest results). I have co slept with my dd (she self weaned from that and can't sleep with us anymore), I've breastfed her to sleep, cuddled her to sleep, rocked etc. all of those things!

For a good while she used to fall easily asleep on her bottle once she moved on to them, and would then be transferred to her cot and more often than not sleep through or only need a little settling. Recently though she is taking well over an hour to go to sleep and if anything is more wide awake after her bottle. When we try and cuddle her to sleep like we used to She scratches at us, kicks her legs around, tries to get our of our arms and out the door back downstairs where all the fun is! I've tried putting her into her cot to try and calm her in there and she absolutely screams like its the end of the world in fact if I even move towards the cot she will grip hold tight of me and not let go. Obviously the mini tue I do lie her down she screams and gets up and tries climbing out of the cot!

I know its not going to happen over night but I need help, it's sometimes 9pm before both children are settled and I am making tea. Any suggestions of which method to try?

Thank you in advance!

Offline cath~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 152
Hello :)

since she's not been and independent sleeper before then I'd go for gradual withdrawal.

This is explained more here:
Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)

The general idea is that you make small changes so that it's not too much for LO to handle all at once and doesn't feel like you're abandoning her.

It might also be useful if you could post her routine (wake and sleep times, and how long she naps for). Perhaps she is a bit ut or OT at BT and so takes longer to settle.  Does she still STTN?  Is there any teething going on at the moment (canines?) which could be making it harder for her to settle? What's her mood like during the day? Any SA? Does she play in her cot at all during the day? Sometimes that can be helpful in getting them to see it as a nice safe place to be.

Does she have a lovey? That can help some LOs.

Sorry, lots of qns. Just trying to get whole picture :)
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old