Author Topic: 18 month sleep regression support thread-part 3  (Read 69932 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
18 month sleep regression support thread-part 3
« on: January 25, 2015, 21:06:03 pm »
Continued from here:

18 month sleep regression support thread - Part 2

Continue to chat and support one another here by continuing chatting rather than mark-ing your spot. 

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
Re: 18 month sleep regression support thread-part 3
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 22:06:21 pm »
Yes, definitely console her.  She needs this.  My little guy (now almost 20 months) was a champion sleeper too until about 2 months ago - things are calming down, canines have sprouted and now maybe molars are knocking but all in all things are getting better (and we're in California for 1.5 weeks - on a 3 hour time change taboot!)  My little guy sometimes wakes up in the night and resettles but at times, has that desperate cry - I usually wait a few minutes to see if the regular cry wanes - but I don't waste any time getting to him with his frantic cry.  He usually gets back to sleep very easily.  He's been waking a bit with the painful cry too - so am just having to figure what cry needs what.  We're going on 2 months with the 18 month sleep regression but it is getting better and just today I put him down fully awake for his nap with not a peep.  And he slept through the night last night.  This California sun is to thank I'm sure!  :) 
With God all things are possible!

Offline MarciaMSPT

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
    • DIY Home Health Physical Therapy
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 18:32:09 pm »
UPDATE - this does pass mama's!  We are back from California and my little guy who is 20 months now adjusted to the 3 hour time change in 1 day!  Amazing, but the best part... he now goes down for a nap when I tell him (OK, W, in 10 minutes it's sleepy time etc)  I set a timer and when it buzzes, he knows it's time.  I sing two songs with him, pray with him, tell him I Love him and that I'll be here when he wakes up and then I put him down... ready for the best part???  Then he's been saying, "Bye-bye mama."  Night time is just as good (so far) but I don't get any farewells. 

So, hang in there moms - our regression lasted on a semi-rough scale with canines coming in (all in now and working on two year molars now) for about 2 months... seemed I could bear two months but then it seems to be over (till the next one!)

Hugs to you and encouragement too!
With God all things are possible!

Offline KookyK

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 19:52:04 pm »
Glad to hear this Marcia my 18.5m old us waking so early and up at the crack of dawn and it's breaking me!!
DD jan 2008
DS August 2013

Offline LittleMiwi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 21:04:39 pm »
Hi all? I've just discovered the 18 months sleep regression! What a fun  :o
Marta always slept well. Now she skips nap, cries at night, wakes up too early, canines are arriving.
Try the WI/WO but she is desperate, she sobs, weeps. The only thing that works is to stay in the room near the bed. DO you think that that could became an habit or that if I stay with her during the phase in a couple of weeks it will pass?
What about the morning? When she wakes up she want s to come in our bed: Hoe can I deal with it?
Also. Hoe can you survive with only 5 hours sleeping??  ::)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 12:16:36 pm »
Coffee is my trick for survival on no sleep!

I would for sure stay by the crib to help calm her...I always revert to that or even a snuggle when things go crazy and she always goes back to independent sleep afterwards.
Heidi

Offline dache

• Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 20:56:46 pm »
Joining the club  :-\ in case I get disconected or post half a post,sorry ladies,this new phone is crazy.

Anyways,same here mamas. Ew, this morning it was 4am. Wont go to sleep unless someone is in the room holding her hand. Wi/wo is not working because she gets histerical, I was wondering if this is a prop thing,but I think not. She seems ut all the time and almost never in a deep sleep. She's been like this for a while so hoping its not going tk be much more.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 21:02:25 pm by dache »

Offline Jay2512

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 19:22:07 pm »
Need of some help too!!
Little girl is 18months and I think is going through SR which seems to be lasting ages! She is teething too.
At the moment I am having battles with her single day nap (between 1 and 1.30ish although often after 2pm by the time she falls asleep) and bed time. I'm using the walk in/walk out method to try and get her to sleep. Bed time is around 7-7.30pm, although again ends up being later by the time she falls asleep. Even with this she ends up having about a 20min nap and is waking up twice in the middle of the night!
Is this something that will go away by itself or do I need to tweek her day?
Surely she can't be getting too much sleep with this much wake time?!
I'm not sure this is teething related as is playful during the day and not needing meds. It's just her sleep and doesn't want to be left alone.

Offline dache

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 11:26:36 am »

Do you mean SA? At first I thought it was SA too, because I was away for 2 nights. But that usually fixes itself with in a few days. So I know it`s the   the 18 month sleep regression. From what you wrote I  think you are there too.
What time does she wake up in the morning? If she falls asleep easily at 2, Id push the nap there to see if that makes any difference. Also, she can be over tiered because she only has 20 minute naps. That might be the reason why she is waking at night.
If you think that she is teething, can you try teething gel to see if it makes any difference?

When I think that she is OT or needs a bit more sleep to catch up, I apop her :) 

Offline Jay2512

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 19:12:23 pm »
aah thanks..... Joining the club too with sleep regression here. It's funny as never had to deal with this with my eldest daughter at this age or that I can remember so it couldn't have been all that bad.

Since this has all started my 18 month old has been waking up earlier than her usual which was about 7am. Now it's nearer to 6am. I've been frightened to push the day nap later as she is so so exhausted by midday.... She lies on the floor in her sleeping position with her comforter...it's whenever I try and put her to sleep in her cot, she just doesn't want me to leave, regardless of the time I put her down. I try and stay with her but it's very difficult with my 3 year old providing a distraction for her. I've only managed to get her back to sleep after a short nap on one occasion. She doesn't fall asleep later in the day say in the car or pushchair, so I try and put her to bed early. Funny thing is, she'll happily nap at nursery! Slept for 2.5 hours there today so let's see what happens tonight! I can only assume it's because she is sleeping in a room full of children!

Will give the APOP a try. Will this become a habit though?

Tried the teething meds before and it doesn't have an impact on her ability to go to sleep or the duration of sleep or NW.

Offline dache

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 20:53:54 pm »
I`m sure it`s much harder when you have another lo running around, wanting attention and providing destruction.
How about putting her down for a nap earlier? Sometimes if dd is OT this works, and it`s only for one day, so she can catch up on her sleep, so no need to worry about EWs.

For me, apop means have her on my chest while she is asleep (only if she is very, very upset or is sick), or stay with her while she goes to sleep in the crib, while I have my hand on her chest. Until now every time the GS or WW was over she would go back to sleeping independently.
Now she has some days when she goes back to sleep on her own, but often she needs someone in there with her.
In the morning she wakes anywhere between 3 and 7. We manage to get her back to sleep if she wakes before 6, but if she wakes after that it`s almost impossible. As Heidi said, lots of coffee. :) And patience, this too shell pass.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 12:17:17 pm »
Hi all!

And ((hugs))

Argh! We've hit this too now ::) :(

Just been trying to get H to nap for an hour now. Just outside her door. So frustrating!! She's def tired after lots of NWs last night and has been yawning all morning so I don't think it's an A time issue. She always nods off for naps in just a few minutes. She just can't wind down today. This is soooo frustrating!

Will be back later to read and post properly when I'm not standing in a doorway. :P
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline dache

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 17:21:47 pm »
 I guess this is the next birth club after 12-18 :)
How did it go Cath?

Offline Jay2512

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 12:28:44 pm »
So the night after a 2hr long nap at nursery, little one actually slept through the night!

Next day, was able to extend her day nap with APOP as suggested, she had about an hr asleep all be it interupted. Still woke up twice that night.

Today got up at 5.45am  :(  and got her down for a nap now... Let's see what happens.

She must be overtired.
Hope this all passes soon. Fingers x

Offline dache

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 18:52:28 pm »
We had an allnighter here  :-\ bt was fine, but afrer midnight chaos. Even milk did not help. She is teething too. Tonight my mum is doing bt and she is still in therenwith her. Im getting tiered of this