Author Topic: Teething, developmental, routine...????  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Kirsten~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: Teething, developmental, routine...????
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 16:13:31 pm »
I have considered W2S. I will have to look up when to do it. So if wakes up around 12/12:30 usually, do I do the W2S around 11:30? And the intent is to not really wake them, but just shift them enough that they stir and readjust?

I think I might try to resettle that NW first. That was my plan for last night, but the NWs started at 10pm last night and he was up every hour! And at 4am, he was screaming, which is very unlike him. I'm so so sick of these awful nights like this. I did give him pain meds last night when he was waking so frequently. While I don't see the pain meds doing much (if it were pain, surely they would help him sleep for more than 1-2 hrs, right?), I'm also afraid of things getting even worse if I don't give him that Motrin before bed.

Katherine, that sounds like a dream to go till 3.30! In the haze of last night, I'm not sure if he was up at midnight, but I ended up not doing his bottle until 1.30am, but DH came down and gave him the second bottle at 4.45 since he was screaming so much. I will talk to DH about it too about extending that midnight NF since we alternate nights. He's not usually a fan of things like that. He thinks he's just hungry, but I think at nearly 6 months and 19 lbs, he should be fine without 2 bottles a night!

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 09:32:03 am »
Yes it's usually an hour or so before the usual waking and you would stir him, but not wake fully.  Let us know how it goes if you try it!

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 05:09:47 am »
Update on this...I haven't had a chance to do W2S since he's been waking up even earlier now. Lately, his first WU has been around 10/10:30 for the last few days. He is coming down with a bit of a cold, so I think that might be the cause of the earlier NW. I'll see how the next few days go, and wait till he is back healthy before trying to assess things again. He's also been napping really short too. Groan...still not getting anywhere.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 13:27:59 pm »
Hey, we're at 8 months and it's still chaos!  (Sorry not helpful at all but said to reassure you that sometimes despite our best efforts, sleep isn't perfect!)

How's the cold?

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 06:18:20 am »
Ah! I'm not sure if that makes me better or worse. :-) I am starting to think this may be something we ride out till he's older. However, I think there could be some OT making things worse at times. I have gotten him to a 7:30 BT consistently lately, unless he gets a good CN, and then it might be 8pm.

His cold isn't too bad. We've all had a low level cough and runny nose, so DS has it now. Starting solids has added some other challenges too, although he's doing fine on banana, blueberry, and oatmeal.

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 05:48:58 am »
Seems I spoke too soon on the cold. He has been coughing more today. Is constant kicking a sign of OT? The last 2 nights, DS has been unable to stop moving to fall back asleep. After he woke last night, it was like he couldn't stop kicking and sometimes also flailing his arms. I tried holding his legs down a little, but then his arms were moving. Any ideas?

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 08:09:38 am »
Can be OT or can just be trying to settle, but struggling for some reason eg stuffy nose.  You can try elevating head of bed, steam in room, vapour rub on feet with socks on (don't ask me but people swear by it!) etc.  hope the cold improves soon x

Offline Kirsten~

• Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 05:47:36 am »
Thanks, Katherine. His cold is much better. Still a little cough, but much better. His teeth, on the other hand, good GAWD those things need to come in! He's been holding his mouth wide today like he might be getting close to them popping through. I hope so. This teething nonsense has gone on long enough.

We went to the ped on Friday. When I told her how much DS is still waking at night, her eyes got big, and she was really surprised, especially when I noted that he is an independent sleeper. She did a closer exam of his stomach and other things when I told her about his sleep, but she didn't see anything the indicated a concern. So we are still on meds, routine, and hoping for the best, I guess. :( I am going to try a different formula. Not sure there is much difference from one to the other, but it's worth a try.

Offline jessmum46

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 09:31:41 am »
What are you doing about those night feeds now? Honestly things did not get better here really until we got rid of them...