Author Topic: 5 Month Old inconsistent eating  (Read 2065 times)

Offline mhatlas

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 13, 2015, 19:44:24 pm »
I am always so grateful for this website! I've gotten so much help with sleep, so I thought maybe I would have some luck with eating.

My LO has never been a great eater, which is part of the reason breastfeeding didn't work out for us.  She was born at 41 weeks at 6lbs 14oz.  She's growing well, although only in the 27th percentile for weight (99th for head circumference, lol).

When she is asleep (DF, tail end of naps when she still sleepy), she eats efficiently and significantly (6-8 oz no problem).  However, when she is awake, she is a very slow eater and does not enjoy eating.  She grunts and turns purple like she's having a bowel movement (sometimes she passes a little gas).  We had been using level 1 nipples until the last 2 weeks.  We've switched to level 3 and that has helped significantly, but she still grunts, etc  (It has helped in that she would only eat 1 oz at a time, she now usually eats at least 3).  It does not usually improve after she's burped.  She also fusses when we head to the rocking chair where I feed her.  She does not spit up much, usually only when she's playing on her belly within 30 minutes of eating. She does not appear to be in any discomfort aside from during the actual feeding.  We use Sam's Club formula and Dr. Brown's bottles (not the wide neck). The doctor does not think it's reflux.  I've tried "gentle" formula as well as regular Similac with no difference whatsoever. I'm introducing solids and that seems to go reasonably well.

I get SO frustrated during these feedings, which I'm sure doesn't help.  Any thoughts?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 11:33:01 am »
Can you please post your routine Hon? Maybe you offer her feeds too often and she is not hungry.

Do you feed her in a calm dark place?  Some kiddos get too distracted during day and that's why are not interested in eating much.
~Marta

Offline mhatlas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 01:35:54 am »
Thanks!

Our EASY schedule is something like this
7a Bottle
8a Solids
9:30 a Sleep
11a Bottle
1:30 Sleep
3p Bottle
4p Solids
7p Bottle
Df between 10:30 and 1 am

I offer 6oz during every day time feeding, but she rarely finishes it (usually eating 4). I give 8 oz at bedtime and during the DF.

She wakes up between 2 and 4 but I don't feed her then. I feed her in her room on the same chair everytime, but the lights are usually on. I'll try the lights out, Thanks!

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 05:42:10 am »
Your routine looks very good. At this age you may just think of decreasing solids as usually people introduce solid meals one by one and some kiddos will go for 3 meals around 10-12 months! If she is taking dinner and BT milk without a problem I would go for stopping with breakfast so it doesn't impact her already small milk feed at 11am.

In general she just seems no to like bottle/this kind of feeding and when is not sleepy/tired she just refuses. As she is able to take a full bottle I would consider offering feed in much less distracted place. So firstly offer feed just after her WU (morning or from naps), even if it's slightly before feeding time or. Secondly have you tried different kind of teats/bottles? She may have a preference for something else. I know that you changed the teat but still it can be something more you can do. How long it takes for her to eat those 4oz?
I would also think of trying/ introducing straw cup. There are children who fight bottles but happily take fluids from straw cups. Worth trying:).
The last idea is probably formula... But here I wouldn't change it too quickly and definitely would try any other way of proposing her milk as changing formula should be done very thoughtfully and slowly.

WDYT?
~Marta

Offline mhatlas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:40:06 am »
Thanks so much!
She can down 4 oz in 10 minutes sometimes. Other, it takes more like 20-25. We've tried other formula and it didn't seem to help. I usually try to wait for when it's "time" to eat, but I can let go of that. I had to work hard to get her off of feeding to sleep,  but now that she is, I don't think this will cause an issue. I will look into the straw bottles. What about sippy cups?  She just held her own bottle for the first time yesterday,  so I'm thinking maybe she's ready for that.
I appreciate your input so much.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 12:28:22 pm »
Yes, sippy cups are also great. It seems that your dd just doesn't like bottles and unfortunately it happens sometimes. 10minutes is fine for a feed but 20-25 is a long one and she might be frustrated. I have used a -pre-hydrolized formula which was very thick and made eating difficult. I went for Avent 3-flow teat and it worked great. Usually teat for a older kids means faster flow because of more holes. The problem here was that milk was so thick that it blocked the holes so no matter if there was one or more of them, they were all blocked:). 3-flow teat is great as not having a hole but cut. You may try it (if your formula is thick of course!).

You may also start another thread where you just will ask for advice how people managed kiddos who didn't like bottles. They are many of them:))).
~Marta