Author Topic: 6m old, UT or OT?!?! Mulitple night wakings  (Read 5467 times)

Offline katie80

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 220
Re: 6m old, UT or OT?!?! Mulitple night wakings
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 14:36:44 pm »
^^^ I agree... start pushing the first two A times toward 3hr by adding 10-15min every few days, so the naps get later and the last A time isn't so long. Shouldn't be too difficult to fix. :)

Offline Robinkvernon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 21:16:25 pm »
The latest I can get our sitter to push nap is 1:15 to 1:30. I've told her to let him sleep till 3:30. What are your thoughts on that plus pushing BT up to 7?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 21:21:05 pm by Robinkvernon »

Offline newkidontheblock

• Showing Appreciation 42
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 02:52:28 am »
Well, we meant more in terms of increasing his A times and pushing out that 9.15 am nap to later. Then you based on the length of that nap and the gap you need before bed, you do your pm nap, which might end up being shorter

Offline katie80

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 05:09:56 am »
The latest I can get our sitter to push nap is 1:15 to 1:30. I've told her to let him sleep till 3:30. What are your thoughts on that plus pushing BT up to 7?
Because of her schedule? Or, what is the restriction? I guess if that's your only option, then I'd do it. 3:30-7pm is a better stretch than 3-7:15.

Offline Robinkvernon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 15:55:41 pm »
We've pushed the nap to 9:30 and he's dropped one of the wake-ups!!!

Yes, the sitter has all the children nap at 1:15 so I can't go too much off of that. I've moved up the BT to 7 and that seems to help. Now out wake ups are 10ish (early??) and about 1am. Then he sleeps through till 6:30.

I'm getting so frustrated with people saying I need to let him cry. I don't support that and I know you don't either. Should I see if we can settle with PU/PD?  I'm seeing some patterns and he wakes up expecting to nurse. Most times he's not hungry (definitely not the 10pm wake up). And suggestions to get rid of the bad habits?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 16:09:06 pm »
Of course you don't want to leave him to cry. That's his only way of communicating and it is so wonderful that you are there for him whenever he needs you. With those pesky people - in one ear, out the other.

1 NF (maybe even 2) is still normal at this point. Have you tried settling him in any other way? You of course could try PU/PD but remember that it will be in the middle of the night & it is so hard to ST at that point. If you feel you can do it, go for it though. I know its late in the game, but have you ever tried dreamfeeding him? I wonder if that will at least help us eliminate hunger as the cause. I'm not sure how advisable it is to try this late though -- Katie? WDYT?

Other than that, all I can say is that if you stick to this routine and slowly keeping upping the A times, at least one of those wakings should stop.

Offline Robinkvernon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 18:04:13 pm »
I did re-start the DF and did it for about 2 weeks.  It caused him to start waking more so I stopped.  He is hungry at the 2nd waking but the first is something else.....the last few nights its been a dirty diaper, gas or losing his paci.

I am going to hang tight with the 3 hour A time and see how that works.  I will keep you posted and thank you so much!  You have no idea how much of a blessing you have been to me as a new mom and your site and the books are my BIBLE!!!

Offline katie80

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 00:19:09 am »
Well, we're glad you've found us! :D

A couple of thoughts about the 10pm waking... if he's had a dirty diaper and gas a couple nights, you may want to look at the solids he's eating and see if they could be a culprit. If the waking is habitual (within a half hr), you could try wake-to-sleep to see if you can get rid of it. How do I address habitual wakings?  (wake-to-sleep and other methods) Or, seeing as it's in the beginning part of the night, you may want to try to resettle. If he's taking good feeds throughout the day and solids are going well, I think you can rule out hunger at that time. I'm assuming he's an independent sleeper at naps and bedtime? I notice you mention he has a paci... does he know how to replug himself? With the right routine, I don't think it would take too many nights of resettling to get rid of that waking.

Offline Robinkvernon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 01:46:23 am »
And we just had a 9:30 wake up. He stirs awake and when I go in the only way I can settle him is to offer to nurse. He nursed for only a few minutes so I know it's not hunger. But he will cry until he nurses. So should I try to resettle another way?  I do think its gas related because he's had some dirty diapers. He is an independent sleeper and can replug his paci.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 02:24:26 am »
Great suggestion from Katie to take a look at his diet, especially the evening meal. Why don't you give Wake to sleep a shot?

Offline katie80

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 19:50:45 pm »
Do you burp him well at the BT feed? Is he having many gassy foods during the day?

I'd give W2S a try first and if he still wakes up, settle him without feeding. He will definitely cry and be upset for awhile, but that's because he's always been fed and thus expects a feed. If you are consistent in settling him (i.e. not stopping to feed him), I think he will start sleeping through. But, you may want to give the new EASY a few more days and rule out dietary issues, as then he might start sleeping through on his own.

Offline Robinkvernon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2015, 12:31:01 pm »
We did W2S last night and it worked wonderfully.  He only woke twice instead of three times.  And I do believe gas is the issue for the two times he woke.  He had lots of gas at his 4am waking and then a dirty diaper.

I also did the gentle remove method last night and he slept the whole night without his paci!  Major win!!  I think we are turning the corner and I am going to W2S and gentle remove for the next week and post my results.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 13:37:34 pm »
Great update. Goodluck for the week ahead!

Offline katie80

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2015, 14:18:03 pm »
Great update. Goodluck for the week ahead!
Ditto!! Let us know how it goes! FX :D

Offline Robinkvernon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 17:12:26 pm »
So 4 days later and we had 3 nights of 2 NW and last night he woke 3 times (10:30, 12:30 and 4:30).  Today I am particularly tired and frustrated. 

I am doing the W2S at 9:30 but it hasn't helped the 10:30 wake up.  I am going to keep it up for a few more days.  And he still wants to nurse every time he wakes up to help himself go back to sleep.  I am using the gentle remove and popping him off after his nursing slows. 

Just not sure how much longer I can survive on such little sleep.  Any other suggestions?  If I could just get rid of one wake up I think I would feel so much better.