Author Topic: Is it ok to wake up my 12mo old before work?  (Read 1182 times)

Offline starburst15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Is it ok to wake up my 12mo old before work?
« on: January 28, 2015, 14:47:16 pm »
I am a working mom and I have been back to work since my baby was 4 months old.  He is now 12 months old.  I leave for work at 6:30am, and he's typically asleep at that time.  Ever since returning to work, I wake him up at 6:00 to get a little time with him.  I miss him too much if I don't see him before work.  He stays at home with grandma all day, so I don't need to bring him anywhere.  Is it okay for me to wake him up, or should I let him sleep?  I worry I will confuse him when he wakes up if mom and dad aren't there.  Plus, I get in a terrible mood if I don't get to see him from nighttime until the next afternoon.  I know the importance of sleep, too, so I'm not sure if I'm causing a problem by waking him up.  He normally sleeps til 6:30-6:45 on the weekends.  I would love to hear what others do. 

Offline Lindsay27

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 78
Re: Is it ok to wake up my 12mo old before work?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 17:52:44 pm »
Likely a very personal choice.

If it were me, I wouldn't wake him.  I've lived the life of a chronic EW child (was up at 5:30am for most of his life until he turned 2) so I wouldn't want to interrupt his sleep for fear of creating a habit.  I would think though that if you are waking him earlier you are also putting him to bed earlier?  My thought is that if you let him sleep later you could put him to bed a little later in the evening and have more time with him then?

I completely get how hard it would be to not see him from night time until the next afternoon, so emotionally if you need that time with him in the morning, I get it.  What if you spend some time in his room in the morning while he's sleeping?  Just sitting beside his crib or something to that effect?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 18:36:52 pm »
I agree it would be personal choice.

I'd wake him.
I see no harm in waking him at 6am every day to have 30 mins quality time with mummy then hand over to grandma.  I would put him to bed at a time where he is getting his full night sleep and ready to wake at 6am. I'd also expect him to wake at 6am at the weekend though (as habit) and take any lie in as a bonus. It seems you have a great routine where you all get a lie in at the weekend!  My DS was a chronic EW too and I didn't enjoy the early mornings with a 5am or even 4.30am start.

Offline starburst15

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 19:10:46 pm »
thank you for the feedback! He's a great sleeper (8:30pm - 6:30am), so I feel very blessed. Thanks for your  responses!