Author Topic: Please help, short naps, won't nap alone :(  (Read 2863 times)

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Please help, short naps, won't nap alone :(
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 08:16:00 am »
Yes, definitely slow down. And give yourself a pat on the back for how far you have already come.

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 20:52:36 pm »
He has done really well today, still doing the old 40 min wu, but I'm sure that'll come. Won't it??!! Thanks so so much for your help, I'll keep posting though if you don't mind?! ☺️😀

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 04:25:54 am »
It will get better. As they get older, their sleep patterns so mature also. 3-4 months is just a hard time in general. Definitely keep me updated. Why don't you also join on the chatter in the birth clubs. You can talk to other mums going through similar experiences. I'm on my phone so can't post the link but you can find them in the EASY forum

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 15:30:33 pm »
Hi, this could be teething or something else but LO is waking 10/15 mins into nap now as well as 45 mins :( I'll post the last few days easy so you can have a look to see where I'm going wrong. I can get him back over if I lift him & sh/pat- but he won't go over if I sh/pat in the cot!! Now, and even bigger picture is the evening- he will not go over for the night until really really late. He is almost hyper. I know he is massively o/t by the hust won't go!

Here goes....
A 7:00 ( he never takes a bottle first thing)
E 7:30
A 7:50
S 8:45 (shattered)
A 9:50 (short nap)
E 10:00
A 10:20
S 11:00 (early due to short nap)
E 1:00
A 1:20
S 3:00
E 4:30
A 4:55
S 6:00
Bed @ 8pm
DF 10
(That evening was fine!!

A 7:45
E 8:00
A 8:20
S 9:45
E 11:15
A11:30
S 1:15
E3:00
A 3:20
S 5:00
A 5:25
E6:30
Bed at 7:30  still awake at 8:30
Tried 4s's asleep for 10 mins & then hyper. Eventually fell asleep with exhaustion at 11pm!!!!!!!

A 7:30
S 9:45
E 11:30
A 11:50
S 1:15
E 3:00
S 4:50
E 6:20
A 6:40
S 7:30 no way!!!!  Tried again at 8 pm no way. I left him with oh & he text me to say he was hyper very noisy & jumpy. I took him upstairs with a bottle at 8:45 he fell asleep for 10 mins & woke- he then screamed until he eventually conked at 10:17!!!

I'm clearly doing something wrong- A time too short/too long?? He is 18 weeks.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 07:28:44 am »
I can get him back over if I lift him & sh/pat- but he won't go over if I sh/pat in the cot!!
It's the same with my DD. We had has periods where we are able to comfort in the crib though, so always try that first and then pick up if needed.

A 7:00 ( he never takes a bottle first thing)
A 7:50
S 8:45 (shattered)
A 9:50 (short nap)
Why shattered? Was it a bad night? Other than that day, on the others, 2 hours seems to be getting you good naps. You might have to commit to a week of staying with him for the first twenty minutes, then again being in the room at transition time.

A 5:25
E6:30
Bed at 7:30  still awake at 8:30
A 20 minute nap is pretty useless. I find DD is still tired after it and I have trouble at BT. You might need to put down earlier- maybe after an hour. Also it sounds like he got his second wind on that day.

I actually recommend that you stick to a fixed wake up time and bedtime so that your days have more structure. Also aim for 12-12.5 hour days max. On bad nap days, bring bedtime forward and shorten your day more.

I also think that Tracy recommends that the catnap be between 5 & 6 to help them get to bed. On days when it is too early, he is ot again by BT.

Did I answer everything? Hope it helps

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 22:09:16 pm »
Hi,
  Hope your are well? We are now in. Desperate need of help!!! We rate really really really struggling with evenings. Daytime is going ok, we occasionally fall asleep during a walk or car trip that messes things up, but generally it's going ok. Our problem is the evening. We put him down at 5 and he always wakes after 45 min. We have tried a 7pm bedtime, 7:30 & an 8pm bedtime- but he always wakes after 30/45 mins & that's him. He is then very difficult to get to bed. I have just spent 40mins consoling him & he's eventually nodded off. He will go all night, but as you can see there is no evening time for us. I ideally would like him down at 7, so that I could put my older LO to bed after him at 7:30.
  I am really struggling with this. As you know he has silent reflux & he is also teething badly at present- so is screaming a lot during the day & he is shattered. I do not know how to stop this 45 min waking, in the day he can get back to sleep after 45 mins, but at this evening sleep- he point blank refuses to go further.
  I am desperate to get this sorted. I am having no evenings and haven't even eaten my dinner the last few evenings!!!! Any ideas whatsoever??!!

I may create a new post to see if anyone has any ideas!!! Thank you 'new kid'

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2015, 04:36:42 am »
Oh, hun, that sounds rough. I am sorry that things are still so bad. It sounds to me like he is in a lot of discomfort. Is he on meds for the reflux? Usually wakings soon after bed indicate OT but what you are describing definitely sounds like he is in pain. I will ask some ladies who gave experience in this area to take a look.l, and I will be back later tonight. Hugs!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2015, 17:46:25 pm »
Daytime is going ok
So he is napping...alone? What nap lengths are you getting?

We put him down at 5 and he always wakes after 45 min.
Do you mean for a catnap? If so, perfect. You could then aim for BT at 7.30, maybe? My DD did a short afternoon nap and then a 45 minute CN with BT fixed at 7. But that only worked because of the short afternoon nap.

I'm actually a bit confused as to what is going on with his day. Sorry to ask again but could you post your routine again. Just of one day with the NWs. I really feel that it is more than just the routine but it doesn't hurt to take a look

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 19:26:26 pm »
Sorry, new kid, I meant we put him down at 7 & he always wakes after 45 mins & won't go down again. Sorry!

General day....
A 7:30
S 9:30 (wakes after 45 & goes back) usually wakes at 11:10
E 11:30
A 11:45
S 1:30
E 3:00
A 5:45
E 7:00
A 7:45
E 9:00 then bed.
He naps in the day in his cot- sometimes have to sh/pat back to sleep after 45 mins, but he usually goes back fine. It's really just the evening I'm struggling with.
What do you think??

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 11:13:38 am »
Is he 5 months old now? Or 6? So looking at your day, am I right that you are doing 2 hours first A followed by 2.20 and then again 2? Any reason for the fluctuation? Generally speaking, waking from a nap in 45 minutes(one sleep cycle) means UT but since you manage to resettle him, I would suggest that maybe just a bit more A time would help him transition. What nap length are you getting for the pm nap with 2.20 A?

Around this age, DD also started waking soon after BT and it turned out to be OT and the transition process from 3 to 2 naps

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 13:30:46 pm »
Hi, thanks for replying.

He's not quite 5 months yet. No reason for the fluctuation in A times- it's just how it happened. He wakes religiously on 45 mins for every nap, we can usually get him back over. I really need to work on this, as it is a pain!! Do you think to make A time 2 hours 15? Gradually?
   I just feel as if everything is falling apart? :( I was taken into hospital last fri, I collapsed & as a result, I've been in bed a lot & oh & my parents have been doing the routine!! They have tried their best, but I feel as if I really need to start afresh if I'm honest?
   The last two mornings we've had 5:30am starts too- definitely due to teeth, but still, I think the whole thing is a mess!!!
  My plan is, tomorrow, (providing he sleeps past 5:30) to get him up at 7:30 and start afresh, perhaps with a 2hr 15 A time?
  Thank you for all your help. Xx

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 13:42:25 pm »
I just feel as if everything is falling apart?  I was taken into hospital last fri, I collapsed & as a result, I've been in bed a lot & oh & my parents have been doing the routine!! They have tried their best, but I feel as if I really need to start afresh if I'm honest?
You collapsed? What happened? So many many many hugs!4 months is a terribly tough time. I am so happy to hear that you have the help and support of your parents. Just please remember that things will get better..and this too shall pass. You need to take care of yourself!

Waking in 45 minutes generally means a push is in order..but not too much. Try 10 minutes first and hold for a few days. You don't want him to get even more OT. How much day sleep do you think he is getting? Good naps will definitely help get over the OT and make BT easier. But I still do think you should see whether he is in discomfort due to his reflux. Even being very OT, so many wakings are ringing alarm bells for me.

I really do hope that you see some improvement. Do let me know if there is any more help I can give you:) Hugs!

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 19:57:45 pm »
Well, they think it is hormonal or migraine related. I had a pretty horrific birth with LO & was unwell for a long time after it. I am back at the doc tomorrow.  Today has been a much better for LO despite being up at 5:30 am!! He had a good morning & afternoon nap. We did have to go up after 45 mins- but he went back over. I think you are right about the A time. We will give it a go.
Here is today so far
5:30 awake due to teeth
E 6:00
A 6:20
S 7:30
A 8:10 (nappy)
S 9:30 (due to short nap- he was exhausted)
E 10:30
A 10:45
S 12:30
E 2:30
A 2:45
S 4:50 (later due to visitors)
E 6:15

He is currently up, in great form, we've had no crying today! I honestly think the crying is due to teeth pain not reflux, I aim to have him upstairs for 8:20, bedtime routine, small bottle & bed.

I think we're on the right track, I need to stay with him during naps to stop the 45 min wake & adjust A time, do you think we're heading the right way?? !! Xx

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 02:59:11 am »
Yes, definitely. Be consistent in your routine & approach for at least 5 to 7 days and then we can re-evaluate if needed. Good luck!

Offline Elvisking

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 07:48:18 am »
Brilliant. Thank you so much, will be in touch xxx