Author Topic: Routine Check to Combat Night Wakes  (Read 1128 times)

Offline soulstar75

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 29, 2015, 23:08:34 pm »
My little one is 9 months but was 6 weeks premature. Last week he slept for over 7 hours in one stretch when he normally would sleep 3 to 4 hours and would wake up 3 extra times throughout the night. The night he slept for 7 hours, nothing was too different from his routine except he stayed up an extra 30 mins before bed time. Can someone quickly check our routine and make suggestions on how's to improve night sleep? Thanks

E 7:30
A 3:45 mins
S 10:45 (he would normally sleep for 30 to 45 mins). Try to resettle but doesn't work most times
E 11:30
A 3:45 mins
S 3:15 (again usually a 30 to 45 min nap) ...try to resettle but same as above
E 4:00
A 3:45
S 7:45

I should mention we've been at 3:45 A time for the past 4 days. Prior to this, it was 3:30 and I was still getting the same nap outputs the majority of the time. On a good day, he can nap for 2 to 2.30 mins but its not consistent. Would you recommend increasing the evening A times and keep the morning as is?

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: Routine Check to Combat Night Wakes
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 04:41:35 am »
Hi there. If you are consistently getting short naps, then maybe you need to push A times more until the nap lengthens out. You mention getting 2 hour plus naps. That to me sounds like a catch up nap since you are not consistently getting it. That's good so he is able to catch up on OT. If I were you, I would increase A time and cap pm nap to leave a good gap till BT -perhaps the same amount that worked for you before. Of course that depends on which nap is easier for you to get. With us it is am, so I'm doing long am, CN and short A before bed. Others do am CN, long pm and long A to bed.

Offline soulstar75

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 17:05:10 pm »
Thanks for your response. I'm gradually pushing his times but I don't want him to be overtired as he struggles when he is. Its funny though because when we are out and about, he will sleep in his car seat for 2 hours plus but at home, its shorter naps. That day he slept for so long, he did a 30 min and a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. I'm also wondering if its best to have all A times equal so that its easier when the 2-1 transition comes?

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 15:45:25 pm »
He might just get tired more outside and so sleep longer? As for the A times, you will have to decide based on your LO. With mine, we keep both As(3.45) the same but she does a short A before bed - simply cannot handle more than 2.45 MAX.

We are in the very early stages of the 2-1 and for the past month, we have been doing long morning nap (1.5-2hours) + 30 minute CN with bed 1.30hrs later, so basically 1 1/2 nap

Offline soulstar75

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 18:27:03 pm »
Sorry, just saw your reply just now. I agree, when we have different activities I think he is overstimulated so he falls asleep in the car ride on the way home even if the activity is 5 mins down the street lol.

So as an update, his night sleep has gotten so much better. He now sleeps for a minimum of 6 hours to a max of 8 hours straight since the beginning of the month. I'm happy cause now I can get some decent sleep. After that stretch sometimes he will quickly go back to sleep and other times he will take a full 2 hours to return to sleep. The whole time I'm trying to resettle. I'm not entirely sure what to do if anything. Any suggestions? Is this just a developmental phase? His A times are 3:30 in the morning, and 4:15 before second nap and bed time. His naps are OK and we usually get 2 to 2.5 hours of daytime sleep on average. I have been wondering how the 2 - 1 transition will go. Our activities will be ending soon so I'm thinking after that, I will focus on increasing his morning A time. I assume this is an important A time to focus on to make the transition work?

Thanks!

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 18:36:02 pm »
I'm happy to hear that things have improved. On days when he takes longer to settle in the night, how much day sleep did he get? These long night wakings are usually UT