Author Topic: Please help! does 'cot downtime' impact naps??  (Read 911 times)

Offline Cathykamara

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help! does 'cot downtime' impact naps??
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:35:17 am »
Hello

I posted a few days ago as I've just started on an EASY with my 7.5 month old (6 months corrected age, she was 7 weeks early). She's actually been a pretty good sleeper so far but I wanted to implement an easy to extend A times and get rid of the catnap as it was disturbing her night sleep.
Anyway my question is, how long can I leave her in her cot to settle back to sleep or before getting her up?
This morning she woke at 6.30am and I left her there til 7.15am gurgling to herself
She went back down for a nap at 9.05am as she seemed super tired but then she woke after 45 mins and has been playing in her cot for 45 mins! I'm going to get her up now obviously but just wondering if this 'downtime' will impact sleep?? How long do you leave until the next nap in this case?
Thanks!

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Re: Please help! does 'cot downtime' impact naps??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 12:46:50 pm »
Oooh, that's a tricky one. I'd go from the time she woke up and maybe rely more on cues than clock. Ditto for the AM wakeup. Might be time for a nap drop, depending on what the schedule looks like now - sleep often goes wonky a week or so before new developmental leaps as well.

Offline becj86

• Showing Appreciation 346
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 19:27:59 pm »
Even going from your wake time of 6:30, a 9:05 nap is a really short A time for a LO of 7.5 months. You may find if you extend that A time to 3-3:15 initially (and probably extend further from there), she may sleep a longer nap.

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 21:57:42 pm »
And my LOs were young I counted cot time as 'half A time',  as they got older I just ignored it and went from the time I got them up.

She prob is seeming tired at her usual nap time. Never underestimate how clock orientated some LOs can be - it is the basis of many baby routine (rather than BWer).

Offline Cathykamara

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:25:57 am »
Thanks for all the replies. I always consider her age from the corrected age rather than actual - should I be thinking of a 7.5 m old schedule instead of 6m?
She seems to get overtired after 2.5 hrs A as she goes down well but cries throughout the nap at 20min interval
thanks again!

Offline trimbler

• Showing Appreciation 37
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:29:05 am »
My DD is a similar age but 1 week OD, and her A times have always been on the low side, just like her big brother's, so actually they're still only 2h 40, but that works for her. Bear in mind that the average/typical A times are just that, some will do more, others less. So tbh I don't think it's so much a case of whether to do a 6mo or a 7.5mo routine, by all means use these as a guide, but it's what she can manage. My DD will also chat quite happily to herself in her cot if she wakes early or after a nap, provided she's not in discomfort. Due to having to fit around preschool drop off, we have a fixed 'WU' time (so if she wakes early we just let her chat to herself, since she's happy) and a fixed time for her first nap, which also worked quite well for DS who was similar. So she does get more A time if she wakes early but since she's calm and relaxed it doesn't seem to matter. But she is being carried in the sling on the way to and back from preschool for the end of that A time, and we even take her out at that time at the weekend as it's her routine and helps her to stay calm until her nap time even if she would otherwise get worked up from OT - we actually did the same with DS. Just another idea to consider, we also used the 'half A time' concept with DS which worked quite well. In your scenario above I'd have probably gone for the nap to start sleeping around 9.30 but carried her around to keep her calm, since her 45min nap sounds UT to me. But having had that, if you got her up after the 45 mins playing I'd have gone for the next nap between 1.5-1.75h after that depending on cues, to take into account the 'half A time' but also the fact that her effective A time would need to be a bit shorter after the short nap to avoid a UT/OT cycle.

With regards to the crying at 20min intervals, that can be a sign of discomfort, do you think that could be the case here? But it can be OT/UT... You know her best!

Offline Cathykamara

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:52:40 pm »
Thanks so much that's really helpful! No I don't think it was discomfort, she's not usually disturbed by that during sleep time. The half a idea for cot downtime is a good one. Just have to feel as I go I guess!