Author Topic: 1yr old - does this sound OT to you?  (Read 10615 times)

Offline Mackjack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: January 30, 2015, 23:04:05 pm »
Hello,
DS is an independent sleeper, controlled silent reflux and STTN  -except recently where we've had one illness/reflux episode after another.

3 weeks ago, it became clear that 2 naps wasn't working anymore. The 2nd nap was a real fight and was getting as late as 5pm -ridiculous. I was sick of guessing A times, forcing/cappinh naps so I bit the bullet and went to 1 nap with a set nap time - 12pm - and set BT - 19.00. Tricky at first - EWs etc  but it seemed to be working much better.

He was ill last week and was unsurprisingly NW a lot. As he's got better (just seems a little snotty now), the NWs are less but they're still happening and lasting about 1.5hrs. Typically, he will cry, we go into him, he settles quickly but wakes again about 5/10mins later and so it goes on.

I wondered if after the illness and still adjusting to one nap, he might be OT  - especially as the other day he played in his cot for 20mins before his nap before passing out for 2hrs and the same day, he cried at BT and I had to go and resettle him.This, to me, indicated he might be OT and a bit worked up -he usually goes straight down. So last night, I tried a v slightly earlier BT - 18.50. He woke at 22.30 - on the monitor I could see him standing up and crying. As soon as I walked in the room, he laid down and started settling himself, without me even touching him. I stayed about 10mins while he fell asleep, he woke when I left the room so DH went in and he settled a few mins later. Then he stood up and cried at 5am but went back to sleep with no intervention from us. Then he finally woke at 6.15 HAPPY which rarely happens these days.

Today he had a great nap (2hrs 45 - had to wake him to pick up DD) but I thought I'd try EBT again (18.50). He's just woken at 22.00 and done basically the same as last night - laid straight down as soon as I walked in though I did put my hand on him briefly as he was moaning. So I was wondering if I should maybe try an even earlier BT - about 18.30 - although I'm scared of getting an UT NW!! What do you think? Here's the last 2 days EASY to clarify:

THURSDAY
WU 6.15am
NAP 12-14.20
BT 18.50
NW 22.30 (as described above)
NW 5am (as described above)
WU 6.15

FRIDAY
WU 6.15
NAP 12.-14.45 (had to wake him)
BT 18.50
NW 22.00 -as described above

It just seems if I put him to bed at 18.30 that will be a really short 2nd A time compared to his first really long A time? Having said that, DD used to WU at 6.30, nap from 13.00-16.00 then BT at 19.00 so it is possible I guess.

My experience with him is that NWs - even really long ones - are usually due to OT (or reflux - we've had some epic 3hr ones - yuk!). But I don't think I've ever experienced an UT NW with him as he's never done that thing where he wakes for ages happy and chatting in the middle of the night - had these a few times with DD and I'm so scared of causing them with DS!!

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 06:41:41 am »
Last night was rubbish but before I tell you about that I should add when he was ill he had mild tonsilitis.  He also deceleration a weird nettle-like rash which the Dr said was an allergic reaction to his illness and gave me Piriton.

So last night after that brief early waking he woke at 3.20 am with a leaked nappy. He looked really tired.  I changed him and noticed the rash had flared again so gave Piriton. He started to settle by himself but kept fidgeting. Just after 4am he said "Dad Dad" - I thought he was going to stay playing and felt myself getting annoyed so left the room in frustration.  I watched him on the monitor and he stood up,  started doing a tired-sounding moan and then just laid down and went to sleep! But he woke at 5.50am.  I hadn't got back to sleep since his waking so in exhaustion I put him in our bed but he just laid on me chatting so we got up.  So I don't know what to make of that???

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 06:42:41 am »
"Deceleration"?! Should say "developed"!

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 11:23:48 am »
He does sound a bit OT but also possibly still ill - what with that rash coming back and all.  It sounds like you're on the right track, I think, with one nap for him but given that he's ill and still adjusting, I would go for that earlier BT and also for trying to keep his afternoon A time low key if you can.  Sounds like he's doing a great job self-settling!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:31:10 am »
Thank you. He's been acting tired this morning since that 5.50 wu but im holding him out til 12. So do you think try a 6.30 BT even if he has a good nap? 

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:52:09 am »
Yes, I'd go for that or earlier if you need to.  I think he's LSN? But that EW tells me he's really OT!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 12:28:06 pm »
Ahhh I really can't work out if he's LSN or not but I'll give the EBT a crack - wish me luck!!!

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:19:13 am »
Hello Hun, just chipping in with extra support. I agree it does seem that illness is still playing a part and he is still recovering. Obviously he will be more tired, and need to sleep himself well.

Have you considered leaving the nap uncapped but going for a 13 hour day  ??? If he sleeps on. It might help zap that OT, as it sounds like he is napping really well, which is super considering he is quite new to the 1 nap routine  :)

Alternatively, bring the nap forward a bit making it more restorative and  leave length and BT the same  ??? :-\

((HUGS)) Hun. Remember Piriton is a drowsy medicine so if he needs this it may not be indicative of what will always happen  :-X :-\

x.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:21:27 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 22:38:37 pm »
Hi Sammysmammy.  I dont cap his one nap unless I need to wake him for the school run. So do you mean if he wakes at 6.15 am,  do BT at 19.15 regardless of nap length?

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 09:58:46 am »
Hi Hun,

No, not whilst he's probably still recovering from illness, I was just thinking that a super nap with a longer day might be better than the alternative.

How's it going  ???

x.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 20:58:44 pm »
Thanks Sammysmammy.  He had a decent night on Saturday - just a bit restless. Woke up last night with a leaked nappy (again!) at 11.30 and cried for about an hr. Seemed v upset and his face was blotchy so I gave him Piriton. Woke up early from nap today upset again but no sign of rash. It's odd because other than the rash popping up mildly now and then he seems really happy. Spoke to Dr today who said the rash can hang around but to be assured it would go soon. It's so hard when he's not v obviously ill to know whether it's discomfort disturbing his sleep or a routine problem but I dont want to mess with his routine without being sure. After his short nap today (1hr30) I put him to bed at 19.00. He seemed v lively but I settled him fairly quickly.  Just see what tonight holds I guess. .....

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 21:47:38 pm »
Weaver -just realised I totally failed to put him down early for BT as you had advised - especially as he woke early from his nap today.  Argh, I don't know what I'm doing anymore - losing the plot thinking about this all the time!

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 10:48:02 am »
It's so hard when he's not v obviously ill to know whether it's discomfort disturbing his sleep or a routine problem but I dont want to mess with his routine without being sure.

Hi Hun, this is the theory I always hold with, otherwise you can end up tweaking unnecessarily :(

In these instances I would always go with an earlier BT if the nap was short, but DS would tack on sleep as a general rule, so we could go with SEBT and it would pay off. I do know it doesn't for others though, so IME they would stick hard and fast with set nap and BT regardless. It really does depend on his ability to tack on sleep, and whether he is a LO that responds to routine and sets his body clock hard and fast.

For NW it might be worth going straight in with APOP at the moment too, to try and settle him before he wakes up completely, shushing and a back rub or whatever works for him. With a wet nappy I would always change in the dark with a very low night light and talk as little as possible so as not to stimulate DS too much. Sorry, these are probably very obvious things to you  ::)

x.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 10:50:23 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 12:20:11 pm »
Thank you.  I agree with all you said.  But last night has thrown me. As i said,  after his short (1.5hr) nap yesterday (woke at 13.30 crying) he went to bed at 19.00. He actually had a really good night which I wasn't expecting - he woke at 3.50am but settled as soon as I walked in the room then slept til 6.40 am and woke happy. Today I've just put him down for his nap at 12 as usual and hes up there playing. So do I need to start putting him down for his nap later - even though he's only been on 1 nap at that time for a few weeks? Or should I nap him later when he wakes in the morning later? Does he only need a short nap now ( even though he woke from that short one crying?)Or is this just a glitch? Or do I just stick with 12pm nap til I'm sure he's better? ( seems fine today so far). So many questions!!

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 12:25:58 pm »
Hi,

Can I just ask if there is anything else going on developmentally at the moment Hun  ???

With Movement, language, food and drink habits  ??? I'm just wondering if there's something we're missing that is affecting sleep other than routine and recovering from illness.x.