Author Topic: 1yr old - does this sound OT to you?  (Read 10705 times)

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2015, 18:23:35 pm »
No advice here Mackjack but just wanted to say my DS went through that phase two weeks ago. So much earlier than yours but still it was tiring. Looked liked UT for me but I just kept WIWO or shhh and pat and after 1-2 weeks it solved. So I guess it was just a kind of developmental phase firstly, than time change and finally teeth here.

Maybe it's connected with time change?
~Marta

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2015, 19:16:12 pm »
thanks Martii. Did you stick with your usual BT and  nap time as well? Even if the nap ended up later because of all the messing about? By the way,  i went back in and laid him down and he settled - asleep about 19.15.

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2015, 19:57:41 pm »
Hello Honey,

((HUGS)) at this tricky time :(. I have had a good read through and TBH my line of thought followed Marti's:

So I guess it was just a kind of developmental phase firstly

To me his behaviour screams some kind of development leap at the moment. With a varied WU I'm not sure there is much more you can do than you are already doing, because I feel like tweaking left right and centre would be unlikely to give results. I'm sorry, I know that is not what you want to hear :(.

Sorry, did you say he was teething  ??? Any speech development  ??? Growth spurts etc  ???

Hang in there Honey, I have a feeling this will just pass, try and stick with his routine that was working best as much as you can.

But one thing, does he ever tack on sleep with an EBT  ??? I am wondering if that is the only option to help him counteract OT build up.

x.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2015, 20:08:58 pm »
He played the most with his BT and yes, I was waking him at 7am. His nights were shorter, we had some OT but still I couldn't thought of anything else I might do.

You know, it's also about knowing your child. My DS never refused BT or his main nap - or almost never. He fights catnap early, he will shorten his nap, he will wake occasinally early in the morning, but no such refusals. That's why I thought I will just try to go through that phase. It seemed strange to me that he refused BT no matter if his nap was 1.5 or 2.5h so...  I understand that after 2.5h he may be protesting but really after whole day in the nursery and 1:30 nap he should go to bed without ANY protests.

But as  I said, it took about 2 weeks. I just persisted. I guess that's the biggest difference for me now when DS is becoming a toddler  is that routine is key. Like when they are younger is more a play of UT, OT, stimulation and so on - now DS will sleep well at night even when slightly OT but he starts to think:) so if something doesn't suit him, he just tests how it works:).
Persitance & consequence...:).
~Marta

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2015, 21:22:28 pm »
Thanks Martii. I agree with you re consistency and routine but it's so hard not to start tweaking when things are going wrong!
Sammysmammy  - he could be teething but I've thought that most of this year and there's nothing to show for it!  He has started to sign a bit and  "talks' to us a lot in gobbledygook!

EBT - recently on his  1.5hr nights he's been going to bed  about 18.30 - that doesn't really make him wake much later though . I've tried EBT in the past when having issued as it used to work great with DD but quite often it  *seemed* to cause NWs - although I'm not sure if they were caused by the EBT or whatever particular problem it was we were trying to solve at the time! Do you think  EBT would help seeing as - like today for example - he had the same length nap he usually has but later in the day? Plus yesterday when it took  D from 12.15 til 13.10 to get him to sleep and he slept 1hr30 is ( with a 45 min waking ) D tried to put him to bed at usual time 18.30  - so fairly early - but he messed about til 19.20. Do you mean a SENT?

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 21:23:44 pm »
Sorry lots of typos - i meant SEBT.

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2015, 06:55:06 am »
Morning,

I didn't mean to recommend EBT as a possibility for every day, just if the nap was early and short, to try and help him feel better. But DS always tacked on, so it was a good option for us. Hang in there, hope this passes sooner rather than later!

x.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2015, 16:21:07 pm »
Ah that makes sense.

So today Granny stuck with usual nap time and took him up to bed at 12.15. He stood up and whinged and she had to go and lay him down. Said he got really upset but was asleep by  12.35. So no stripping off today!She woke him after 1.5hrs and he was happy.

DH is wondering if we should be putting him down for his nap later? This "standing up and whinging" thing has been going on about  2/3 weeks. The  stripping off happened 2 days over the weekend. How long shall I give it to see if it's  just a phase before i try some tweaking, do you think?  Keen not to tweak unless necessary as Sammysmammy suggests as i know that can just confuse things.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2015, 20:25:36 pm »
Spoke too soon...He stripped at bedtime. . Granny said he stripped twice but was asleep within 20mins

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 10:39:29 am »
Spoke too soon...He stripped at bedtime. . Granny said he stripped twice but was asleep within 20mins

What's going on with the stripping thing Honey  ??? Do you think he is hot, or has he just learned to do it, so it developmentally chuffed with himself  ??? Have you thought about dressing him in something else to see if it helps  :-\

I would hang in there with the current routine a while longer Honey, this all sounds so developmental  ::).

((HUGS))

x.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 11:35:57 am »
I don't know what it is with the stripping!! Although he does sometimes take his top off or get his legs out of his sleep suit during the day when he's not in his cot. So maybe it is his new "thing". He stripped last night for Granny at bedtime but was  asleep by about 19.05. And he slept all night til 6.30 which is an amazing wake up time for him!  So like you say it might be dangerous to start tweaking. I dont know what else to dress him in as he takes tops off too?
Granny just texted to say she's put him down for his nap and he has stripped and is now singing...

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 15:43:49 pm »
LOL, oh my goodness, I'm sure it's not funny to you but:
Granny just texted to say she's put him down for his nap and he has stripped and is now singing...

But I can just imagine this scene :) Sounds like a new skill he is chuffed with himself about to me then.

He stripped last night for Granny at bedtime but was  asleep by about 19.05. And he slept all night til 6.30 which is an amazing wake up time for him! 

Great news, more of the same please! x.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 16:15:50 pm »
Oh don't  worry - it makes me laugh too even though it's frustrating! When I go into his room to put his clothes back on i do my very best not to make eye contact but he always tries to look me straight in the eye and grin like a loon! He  knows I'm trying not to laugh!
So just ride it out,  you think?  Give him a bit of  naked time during the day? Or even encourage him to strip during the day to get it out of his system???

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:51 am »
Still getting the strip tease every sleep time - nap time is the worst when he can keep it up for 45 mins before going to sleep. BUT he's still sleeping well at night and we are getting happy post 6 am wakeups (touch wood touch wood touch wood!!!) as opposed to unhappy pre 6 am wakeups. Just keep riding out the stripping you think? ?

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2015, 11:21:50 am »
Hi Honey,

How are things  ???

x.