Author Topic: 1yr old - does this sound OT to you?  (Read 10703 times)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2015, 17:19:55 pm »
Do you think i should let him do the full 1hr 30 even if it means waking a bit later than 14.30?

What did you do Honey  ??? TBH I would have said to go with your gut, suck it and see so to speak. Finger's crossed it works out well  :-*

x.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2015, 17:57:32 pm »
Hello. Well i went for the later nap again. Same nonsense - took bag off twice. After the second time i just spoke to him through the door and told him  "lay down, sleepy time"(er, quite sternly i must admit....alright i shouted. Not proud). He laid down and went to sleep about 13.20. To answer your question though I did let him sleep a little later - 14.45 - as he'd gone down pretty late - hope i don't get an EW. He's just settling for bed now - he took his bag off once which is the usual at BT. 

I know this is not the worst sleep problem in the world but it is starting to really get on my nerves now.  Why can't he just settle? He won't even entertain the idea of letting me help him wind down by holding him and singing a lullaby which is what he used to do. He is just desperate to get in the cot but then messes about when he's in there.

Interestingly,  when granny had him the other day he was in the car at nap time and had a micro nap so wouldn't go down for his nap at all when she got home.  So she put him to bed at  6 pm - he went straight to sleep and didn't wake til 6.20 am.  Although she did at he got tired late morning the next day. He's going to do the  1-0 at a really young age isn't he?!

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2015, 17:58:42 pm »
She did *say*

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:41 am »
After the second time i just spoke to him through the door and told him  "lay down, sleepy time"(er, quite sternly i must admit....alright i shouted. Not proud).

BTDT, forgive yourself, you are human, and this nonsense is stressful!!

Interestingly,  when granny had him the other day he was in the car at nap time and had a micro nap so wouldn't go down for his nap at all when she got home.  So she put him to bed at  6 pm - he went straight to sleep and didn't wake til 6.20 am.  Although she did at he got tired late morning the next day. He's going to do the  1-0 at a really young age isn't he?!

That is very interesting Hun. The fact that he seem really tired the next day isn't a bad thing, because that is what happens after a really good night, they get more tired because they are opening up the gates to be able to sleep more, as in 'sleep begets sleep'  I am wondering about a really long A time to start with, so pushing the nap out further and capping at 1.15, initially seeing what happens at BT, and if no change, capping again 15 minutes at a time. Hmm TBH I think IIWM at this point I may even start capping at an hour now, it seems that maybe what he needs is a short nap and a good long night, what do you think  ???

Faffing about without being upset is almost always UT, even though of course he can be holding accumulated OT at the same time  ::).

What do you think Hun  ???

What time was WU today and night length  ???

Many ((HUGS)) when these things go on for so long it really does try your patience.

x.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:44:15 am by Sammysmammy »

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2015, 12:00:27 pm »
Hi  Sammysmammy.  Thanks so much for your support.  He was asleep last night just after 7 and woke 5.55. He did seem really tired this late morning today.  I'm not sure if the later naps are making him a but tired.  BUT more importantly than that i just put him down for a nap with a blanket instead of a sleeping bag and although he sat headbutting the blanket for a while (?!) he was asleep within 10 mins with no intervention needed!!!! Now I'm not sure if this was just a fluke because he was  tired - or could all this just  be that he simply doesn't like his sleeping bags anymore??! What do you think - keep trying a blanket and see what happens then if that doesn't help, cut the naps as you suggest?

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2015, 12:07:29 pm »
I would definitely go with the blanket for naps. Maybe is not that he doesn't like sleeping bag but sometimes kids think of that kind of gadgets as a thing to play...:).
~Marta

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2015, 13:49:02 pm »
Ooh interesting! I think like Marti says stick with the blanket and you'll soon have your answer Hun.x.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2015, 07:27:57 am »
Ok so the blanket thing is going well. He does throw it out the cot sometimes but he is settling much much quicker - within 5-10 mins and without me having to intervene at all. All im having to do is go in his room and cover him over once he's asleep.

BUT

EWs  are back!! He's woken between 5.40-5.50 the last 3 days.  It's like he's saying I can either have him settling well or walking up at a decent time but not both!  Aaargh! !

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2015, 07:28:41 am »
*waking*

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #84 on: April 25, 2015, 07:34:41 am »
Hon so probably time to cut the nap or putting him down slightly later? It worked last time?

I would still stick to this routine up to a week. He might hit used to new length of night and maybe he needs couple of days to get back to "normal"
~Marta

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2015, 08:23:44 am »
((HUGS)) Sweetie, agree with Marti.x.

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2015, 08:31:16 am »
Sorry do you mean stick with what I'm doing at the moment for a week before I think about cutting the nap?

We did have a couple of weird nap days admittedly - one where he woke upset after 1hr 20 and when I brought him downstairs he fell asleep on me for 20mins which has never happened before and then one day where he woke at 1hr 15 but he went back to sleep v quickly when I went in to him but I only let him have another 15 mins.  But yesterday was a normal 1hr 30 nap day but he woke at 5.50 am this morn.

It's just really typical of him to finally get into a good routine and then within about 3 weeks it needs changing again. ...

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2015, 05:23:33 am »
Still getting EWs. Can his sleep needs go up? ?? Because he seems tired. I'm putting him down for his nap about 12.15 and there's a little messing around but hes settling fairly quickly but when I wake him at the usual 1hr 30 he is really grumpy and does not want to get up.  BT - I've tried to get him down early but the best I've managed is that he's asleep by 6.45 (usual faffing about with sleeping bag but not that much). Then he is having a 2 second moan about 5am and then waking at 5.55. When he wakes he sounds grumpy and doesn't just sit there quietly like he has been.  Once I go into him he's ok but the initial wake up is grumpy.

Could this kid keep me on my toes anymore??? Any (more!!) thoughts??

Offline Mackjack

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2015, 06:27:10 am »
Also he's been acting tired mid mornings.  He was falling asleep on DH yesterday about 9.30/10 am.

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2015, 13:45:22 pm »
Hi Sweetie,

In a rush just sending some ((HUGS)) for now, so sorry for the late reply, I will be back, maybe with fresh eyes.

x.