Author Topic: NW in 4 month old  (Read 1164 times)

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: January 31, 2015, 15:31:37 pm »
We had it so good, and things keep going down hill

Until 3 months DS was waking only once a night. Hit 3 months then it was 2 times a night. Now at 4 months he is NW at least 3 times a night and now having EW as well

He is on 3/4 naps a day.

Our schedule is roughly-
Wake 6:45
Eat 6:45
S- 8:45-10:25
e- 10:25
S- 12:35-2:10
E-2:10
S-4:20-5:10
E-5:10
E-7
S-7:10

Last night he woke at 9:45, 12, 3:30, 6, then was up for the day at 6:45

If it has been roughly 3 hours I will feed him, if less I will AP him back to sleep. For his early morning wakings I let him suck on my finger back to sleep

I know his day time A times seem high for his age. I have been working with a moderator on the naps board to try to extend his naps. He still does wake at the 45 minute mark for naps, but am able to AP him back to sleep.

So what is going on?  He is on acid reflux mess and have tried upping his dose but that didn't help. Is his A time too much during the day and I need to bring it back down?

Offline mmoats12

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 03:30:08 am »
Hi there,

I'm sorry, I don't have any answers, but just want to say you're not alone!! At 7 weeks old, my little guy would sleep from 6:45pm-5:15am, I would feed him, and he would sleep again until 8am! Then he hit the 3 month growth spurt, where he woke up 5-6 times a night for a week. Since then, he still only feeds once a night, but will wake up 2-3 times and often need help to get back to sleep, and wakes up at 5am-6am! Uggg! So frustrating!!

I read an article about "sleep regressions" actually being "growth progressions"...when little ones have physical, emotional, intellectual developments etc, it affects their sleep, but they will go back to normal after the development is over. Reading this article helped me a lot, it changed my perspective to see it as something normal that is required for him to grow and develop!

Hope this helps a little!

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 04:56:13 am »
Thanks for the support!

Offline newkidontheblock

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 42
Re: NW in 4 month old
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 15:16:24 pm »
Hi there. I'm a bit confused. Your naps seem long enough. Why do you need to extend them any more? I was actually thinking you have a pretty great routine going. That being said, a few questions - how does he go to sleep? Is he an independent sleeper? The 12 & 3.30 waking sound like hunger to me - does he go straight back to sleep after eating? Have you tried implementing a dreamfeed between 10 & 11 pm? That might help eliminate one or both of those wakings. Generally wakings in the first part of the night as well as early wakings indicate OT but your LO seems to be getting more than enough sleep. Or is this not how his day actually goes?

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 16:03:15 pm »
Sorry, the naps shown are with the extension. He takes 45 min naps, he wakes up and I go in and let him suck on my finger back to sleep. Not ideal, but is working now for us. He will usually take a longer nap independently for the first nap. I also do HTTJ for his naps.

He goes to sleep independently and usually within 2-3 minutes. He goes to sleep independently at night as well.

He does go straight back to sleep after a feed, except that 6 am one.

His new routine the last 2 nights down to the minute is:

Wake 12, 2:45, and up at 6.

Seems like he should be able to go longer then 2hr 45 minutes at night. That is why I felt like something other then hunger was going on.

I really need to get him to sleep in till 7. I have preschool run at 8:40, so unless he sleeps till 7 he gets a short am nap because I will need to wake him up. I feel like a 7:30 bedtime should be able to achieve that.

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 16:21:32 pm »
But I like the dream fed idea, will try that tonight.

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 16:37:00 pm »
That's what I would suggest to begin with. At least then we can rule out hunger as the reason. "How do I implement/drop the dreamfeed?"

Month 4 is a tough one. There is a long and difficult developmental leap which really plays havoc with sleep. http://www.thewonderweeks.com/mental-leap-4/

Anyway, fingers crossed that you have a good night :) Keep me updated

Offline donvitol

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 16:08:27 pm »
So here is what happened yesterday
Wake 6
Eat 6
Sleep 8-8:45 (had to wake to take son to school)
E-9
S-10:30-11:50
E-12
S-2:05-3:30
E:3:30
E-5
S-5:40-6:10
E-7
S-7:30

DF-10:15
E- 1:15
E-4:15
Wake at 7:10
Refused to eat
E- 7:45

So the DF didn't help him take longer stretches at night, but it did enable him to sleep in to the right time

Offline newkidontheblock

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 15:40:31 pm »
Sounds like progress. Hope things have continued in the right direction.