Author Topic: 7 month old losing interest in bottles, unsure if should drop dreamfeed  (Read 1753 times)

Offline kellswastaken

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My 7 month old has been having two solid meals a day for almost a month now, but has suddenly started losing interest in her bottles in the past week or so.

Her morning bottle she's never been keen on, we have to wait until an hour or so after waking to offer and she rarely takes more than 100ml (3.4oz). This is after going about 10 hours without any feeds.

She was consistently drinking 200ml (6.8oz) for her 11ish and 3ish feeds, but now she's only taking about 100ml for each of these. Her bedtime feed she'll take 160-200ml, and her dreamfeed she usually takes close to 200ml. That takes her to a total of 600-700ml (20-24oz) a day - adequate amounts but that's with the dreamfeed included. This is down from an average of 900-1000ml a day (30-34oz).

We want to drop the dreamfeed soon but at the moment it's our only opportunity to pump more formula into her. Should we try to drop it anyway and see if she increases her day feeds? Without that extra 200ml she won't be getting enough daily milk.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 7 month old losing interest in bottles, unsure if should drop dreamfeed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 12:43:37 pm »
When I dropped the DF I saw an increase in day time milk but not immediately, not the next day iyswim. It was more like after a few days or a week when he realised he wanted more in the day.

You could always make a milk pudding with formula or include more dairy solids in her meals and snacks if you are concerned about the about of milk/dairy in the day.

Offline Martini~

• Birth Clubs
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 48
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:51:01 pm »
600-700ml would be a very fine intake according to UK rules which say around 20-24oz.
My DS dropped DF at 6mo and dropped 4th bottle around 7/8mo and it always made him more interested in other bottles.

If you are afraid of intake, can you start to drop the bottles fairly slowly? Every 30ml every couple of days?

Thanks!
~Marta

Offline Adelheid

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 19:12:14 pm »
You could try offering the bottle in a different form too! When my LO was about 7 months, he decided to go from BF to FF. He lost interest in nursing (and with 8 teeth, I was happy for him to be done!). Anyway, what made it attractive was that I had started doing the final feed of the day a formula bottle via cup and straw! Once he figure out how to sip from a straw, no boobie and no bottle would do.
It was less effort for him and it went down fast! In less than two minutes he'd slurp everything down, belch loudly, and be happy as can be. Another positiv is that I don't have any bottles to wean him off of in the future!