Author Topic: 16 month old - great sleeper but EW starting up  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Okiemomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
16 month old - great sleeper but EW starting up
« on: February 02, 2015, 16:07:48 pm »
My 16 month old goes down for bt and naps great, goes to sleep independently, sttn (besides illnesses or teething nights). But he's starting to wake way too early for me!  I don't mind anything close to 6am or shortly before, but this past week, he's been getting up around 5am. Here's his current sleep schedule:

Awake - 5am :( it used to be around 6:30am when the rest of the house gets up and around.
1st nap - 9:30am (though with him waking at 5am, he can't usually make it that late and I put him down earlier) - naps for 1.5-2 hours.
2nd nap - 2:30pm (around 2pm when his first nap is early) - naps 1-2 hours, really depends on the noise in the house, who's home, etc.
BT - 8pm

He wakes happy and ready to chat. I can leave him in there for awhile with him happily chatting, but he doesn't go back to sleep so I eventually get him.

This has happened on and off for awhile now. Is it possible he's slowly gearing up for 2-1 transition?  I couldn't imagine him not having a morning nap though... if I delay his morning nap, he gets so tired and grabs his stuffed animal and starts laying on any blanket in the house, practically begging me to lay him down.  Could this be a phase he goes in and out of (like, growth spurts make them sleep more... is there such thing as a short phase where they sleep less)?  I remember a short phase where we would all get up, take showers, get hubby and older son out the door, and I would even have a moment to have a few sips of hot coffee (I know, HOT coffee... not 2 hour old room temp coffee) before he woke. I'm not expecting this to be the norm, but I sure do miss that! :)

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: 16 month old - great sleeper but EW starting up
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:42:43 am »
Most definitely ew's at this stage are due to heading into the 2-1! With the ew it does make it hard to push through to one nap but a couple of ways to go about it are to cap the morning nap and bring the afternoon nap earlier and earlier or push out the am nap and cap the pm nap. Tbh I jumped in cold turkey to one nap with all my kids as I am impatient and they adapted well, but gradual works well for a lot of kids too!
Heidi

Offline Okiemomma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 20:13:00 pm »
Thank you for replying!  Before I read your reply, I pretty much did this yesterday due to our schedule.  He took a 30 min catnap on our way to a bible study in the morning and then a good afternoon nap from around 12:30-2:00.  I think it would have been a better nap had I prepared for it because he was too tired for lunch at 12:30 but woke up starving at 2:00. Last night he slept great and didn't wake til 6:45 this morning!  Yay!  Today's schedule required me to give him an early nap again, so maybe I should just make this our norm and see how he handles it.  Thanks again!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 02:21:56 am »
If it works to do it that way then I would run with it! Yay for sttn!
Heidi