Author Topic: Sudden increase in separation anxiety  (Read 874 times)

Offline kcmarie122

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 22, 2015, 21:52:35 pm »
My dd is almost 15 months old.  In the last two weeks I have seen a big shift in her at nap time, bed time, and even throughout the day.  She has been very clingy and cries constantly for me to pick her up.  I either try to redirect her or pick her up.  I also put her in the Ergo a lot because she has always loved being carted around since she was a newborn. 

However, she doesn't act this way when I'm not around.  She will be playing happily with my husband watching her, then as soon as she spots me she will wail until I pick her up. Then she stops instantly.  I try not to pick her up the second she cries every time she does it, but I do probably give in a lot.

Now it's carrying over into sleep times.  She mostly sleeps through the night and puts herself back to sleep when she does randomly wake up.   She used to lay down at nap times and bed time without even a peep.  Now, she screams bloody murder and clings to me when I try and put her in her crib.  I don't think I have done any accidental parenting to exacerbate this.  I'm just wondering if this is pretty normal given her age/level of development?

Is this separation anxiety?  My older dd never really had it bad.  I'm just wondering if it's just a personality difference?  How do I deal with this at bedtimes to avoid creating a problem?  At this point, I have just been letting her cry.  She usually only cries for maybe 5 minutes.

Anyone else ever dealt with something similar?

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Sudden increase in separation anxiety
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:19:37 am »
My DD3 has gone through SA a few times since she was about 10 months. She is an independent sleeper so I wasn't to worried about any accidental parenting becoming permanent issues so I went back to basics and sat by her crib and patted her or just verbally reassured her as she fell asleep. If she had a total freak out I sat down with her immediately, otherwise I would attempt to leave the room if only for 10 seconds and go right back. Here on BW we don't support any CIO or CC but we can offer help in finding a gentler way of helping her get back to being an independent sleeper. Options would be gradual withdrawal or walk in/walk out. Walk In/Walk Out vs. The Gradual Withdrawal Method (HOW TO CHOOSE)
Heidi