Author Topic: How do I get my 2.5 year old DS to stay in his big boy bed at night?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline carolina_bug

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Hi there.  I read the posts on success stories on getting your toddler to stay in their big kid bed but I didn't really find any helpful information on there, just tips on how to transition. 

My DS was so excited to get his big boy bed a week ago.  We transitioned by taking the front of the crib off and putting up a rail.  It makes a day bed and he loves it.  He goes down really easily and is excited to be in his own big boy bed, however, he is waking up 2 or 3 times a night and coming upstairs to me and DH's bedroom.  Our room doesn't have a door and he can now climb over the gate, so there is no way to keep him off of the stairs.  We try to talk to him about when he wakes up, he just needs to close his eyes and go back to sleep again.  He loves Frozen, so we even tried the "You can get up when the sky is awake" but that doesn't help either.  When he was in his crib, he would sleep in until 7:30-8:00, but now he's up between 5:30-6:00.  I get up and put him back down and he goes back to sleep, but it's the waking 2-3 times a night that is draining both me and my DH.

Any suggestions on things that have worked for anyone??  We're exhausted.  Thanks!

Offline weaver

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
Re: How do I get my 2.5 year old DS to stay in his big boy bed at night?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 20:11:59 pm »
Idk, I think I'd just put him back in the crib, unless you have a pressing reason for him to be in BBB.  We had a false start with LO1, we used to find him sitting in the dark in various odd places in this room!  He was getting very tired so we put him back in his crib for, I think, another year.  It's ok to listen to your LO 'not being ready' to do something :)

You could try a gro-clock or similar, which has a display to show when the stars are still out (ie bedtime) and when the sun is up (ie wake up time).  Might help. 

Otherwise it's silent returns to bed until he gets the point.  I would personally want to set a limit on how long you're willing to wait for him to get it, and then reinstate the side of the cot!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline carolina_bug

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 01:47:47 am »
We were thinking about that.  The main reason we put him in a BBB was b/c he kept climbing out in the mornings, even with a sleep sac on and hurt himself a couple of times.  He was so excited for a BBB but when I asked him tonight if he wanted his crib back, he said yes, so that's probably what we'll do.  I just don't want him to really hurt himself climbing out.

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 16:33:56 pm »
Hi, it's tricky when you're wary of them hurting themselves isn't it, this was the only reason why we moved our very big for his age DS out of his cot so soon. Could you talk to him about him being able to go back in his cot, but only if he doesn't climb out in the morning, otherwise Mammy will have to put him back in his bed  ??? explain to him that he could really hurt himself and you can't allow that to happen  ??? Does he love to know details  ??? DS always has done, and I have always found telling him more rather than less works for us, regardless of whether I know the level of comprehension beforehand YK  ???

x.

Offline weaver

• Showing Appreciation 210
  • May your choices reflect your hopes not your fears
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 19:13:43 pm »
^^ Very true!
*Anne*, loving mama to a honeybee (2010) and a sweetpea (2012).  BF for 4 proud years.

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 19:33:12 pm »
we had this issue  -  same reason, my 2.5 DS climbing out of his crib and waking up multiple times a night - total nightmare. (my DD is almost 3 yo and THANKFULLY i borrowed a crib tent so she is still in the crib)

my DS is now 8 and now STTN!!! it will happen!! LOL

anyway, well immediately putting him back to bed w/ minimal talking to him (maybe, time for sleep). you could try offering a reward or special treat if he stays in his bed one night. (this did not work with my DS at this age).

we ended up putting 2 gates in the doorway, one on top of the other. they were the clear plastic gates. So he could not climb under or over. he still woke but we would go to his room and out side the door (with the gates) we said "time for sleep" and after a few nights he started STTN.

((Hugs)). it is really frustrating. i'm not looking forward to the transition at all. my almost 3 yo DD is pretty dangerous and i can see her walking outside in the middle of the night or trying to cut up an apple or eating lots of cookies!!!

heather

Offline carolina_bug

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 01:02:34 am »
Thanks for all of the tips.  We did put him back in his crib and now he is climbing out a few times when we first put him down, but not in the middle of the night, so I'll take it.  I'd rather a few times when we first put him down then he can STTN. 

Thanks again!

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 11:45:48 am »
Continued good luck Hun, for peace of mind you could put an extra small cot mattress or plenty of pillows/cushions by the side of the cot.x.

Offline nona

• Showing Appreciation 95
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 20:55:34 pm »
that's a good idea Vicki

why is the transition SO HARD?!i'm DREADING it.
heather

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2015, 07:43:00 am »
why is the transition SO HARD?!i'm DREADING it.

LOL yes it is one of those 'DAH DAH DAH!' spooky music moments  :o ;) but some LO's take to it like a duck to water, so you never know :) x.

Offline carolina_bug

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 02:48:17 am »
Nona, I think it's hard for my DS b/c it sooooo much freedom.  It's almost like he's so proud that he can get out of bed on his own that he needs to come and tell me. 

He's back in his crib and STTN but when we first put him down, he climbs out a few times before actually going to sleep.  Little stinker.  Seems he just wasn't ready yet.