Author Topic: Successful combination feeding  (Read 2032 times)

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 07, 2015, 21:09:16 pm »
Hi-

Baby #2 is due in a few months time. BF with DD was a mixed bag (great latch but exceptionally painful cracked & bleeding nipples plus the antibiotics I had to take post birth played havoc with her poor tummy causing horrible diarrhoea) so we stopped after 3 weeks.

I had hoped to combination feed with #1 and have the same hopes with #2. Has anyone had success and have hints & tips to share?

I'm really keen to BF successfully this time but also know the DH loved the bond he created with DD as he could share in feeding duties.

I found that I only got judgement last time for 1. Wanting to combo feed and 2. Then being unable to BF successfully, so really hoping for a more positive experience this time.

TIA 😊

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: Successful combination feeding
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 14:56:23 pm »
By combo feed do you mean bf and ff or pumped bm in a bottle? (I only ask because I have no real pumping experience so cannot really offer advice that way!) I can never understand people who pass judgement on feeding choices! I combo fed all three of mine (bf and ff) as I could not really pump. For my older kids we did one ff at bedtime starting at a few weeks old that was DH's job and then as they got older swapped out other feeds. DD3 I waited longer as bf gave me an excuse to sit down and have everyone look after themselves instead of me doing it all ;).We did do some bottles of the small amount of ebm I did manage to get just to see if she would take a bottle...she was not a big fan of them.
Heidi

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 22:02:03 pm »
I offered both my girls bottles at 8 & 10 weeks (with ebm) which is relatively late, but I think cos they had dummies they took to the bottles fine. I intro'd formula around 5/6 months and continued to bf til 12/14 months as well. Happy to answer any qs!
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 22:47:02 pm »
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline rachaelcole

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 18:36:54 pm »
Awesome-thanks ladies! On the mibile at the minute but will have a proper read and post any Qs later 😊

Thanks x