Author Topic: when to dream feed?  (Read 980 times)

Offline v0micj01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Victoria-mom to Calvin(12/30/14)
« on: February 08, 2015, 16:10:55 pm »
I have a 5w5d Ds, we've been doing 3 hr easy for about two weeks. I am getting ready to go back to work in 10 days, so we're trying I'm going to be focusing on wake time and bedtime. I noticed all the schedules/examples given in the books start at 7am. Our days are going to be starting at 6. Ideally it would look like this
E-6am  (BF)
A-6:30-7:15
S-7:15-9
E-9(BOTTLE)
A-930-1015
S-1015-12
E-12(BOTTLE)
A-1230-115
S-115-3
E-3(BF)
and that is as far as I know
 BC then begins cluster feeds and dream feeds. Currently we don't have a very consistent morning and evening. So my questions

1. How many hours should be "daytime" so if we wake up at 6, and he sleeps 4.5 hour while I'm at work, how should our evenings look like, and when is bedtime?

2. So far when I try dfing, it doesn't work. Ds wont take it. Our timing has been cluster af 5&7, then DF @10. But he wont take it. Usually during the day we're pushing it to go 3 hrs between feeds, should I try going four hours between last daytime feed and the DF?

3. Here is how I think it should look for Oour evenings:
E-3
A-330-4
Cluster-4
Catnaps 430-515
Cluster-515
A-bedtime routine-515-6
S-bedtime-6
Df-between 9&10
I know DF should be done between 10&11, but if Ds starts his day an hour earlier than the schedules in the book, shouldn't his DF be an hour earlier as well?
So if that is our tentative plan, he'll sleep 5.25 hours during the day, and have 12 hours of night
 we'll have 1-2 night feedings(I'm hoping one bf around 2) so that'll be 8 feedings in 24 hours.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: when to dream feed?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 19:20:22 pm »
Yes DF around 3-4h after BT is right, so for you that will be between 9-10pm :) though if it's not working out for you now you could always just feed on demand at night and then try re-instating the DF in a few weeks time? 

We usually work on around a 12h day so BT around 6pm sounds right to me for a 6am WU time.

Other than that I think tbh at 5 weeks I would encourage you to go with the flow just a little :-*  EASY isn't meant to be a schedule and things will change so much and so quickly in such a short space of time that you would be better getting to know your baby and his sleep/hunger cues really well rather than worrying in advance what your evenings may look like.  6-12 weeks in particularly can be a really fussy unsettled time in the evenings for many babies so you may end up just doing what you have to do to get through it.  I absolutely applaud you wanting to start as you mean to go on, but having btdt twice now I would say try not to set yourself up for failure with unrealistic expectations :)

Good luck for the return to work x

Offline v0micj01

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Victoria-mom to Calvin(12/30/14)
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 20:07:34 pm »
Thank you for the reply! That's definitely something I had been wondering. Really we just have the EASY routine. The times I've given change regularly, but I am trying to establish a set wake time and set bedtime. Everything else just happens when it does. But 6 weeks may be too little to start dfing? I tried it around four weeks and it didnt work, so thought of try it again. DS has been feeding for less time at night the two times we feed(it use to be 10-15 min on each side foe a total of around 30) but recently he'll do under five at his first NF, and around 10 at his second. So I'm wondering if be isn't trying to transition himself, so thought id give it a shot. But last time we tried it, I did it three hours after his last feed which wasn't a long enough wait. So ill try four hours after the last feed and see if he'll take that.

Offline jessmum46

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 411
Re: when to dream feed?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:38:24 am »
Good luck!